Disappointed In ma films today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 1233jessie, Jul 19, 2013.

1. 1233jessie

1233jessie New Member

What happened? Pretty much all the movies today are either mma or crouching tiger. What happened to the classics? Where are the good American ma films? I miss Cynthia rothrock and Richard norton and Keith Cooke. Those three made the perfect team. Nothing like that anymore. I really liked Sasha Mitchell in the kickboxer flicks. Why can't we go back to those types of movies?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I feel like they're beginning to make a comeback. Isaac Florentine's efforts, especially lately, have brought back that feeling. Though I would have loved to have seen Keith Cooke become a much bigger star than he ultimately did.

Scott Adkins (Undisputed 2 and 3) is a good contender, I think.

3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I haven't seen any recent ones.

I used to have a massive collection but I got rid of most of it and had some stolen. Just have a couple of old ones now, some classics, some so bad they're good.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Because nostalgia aside they almost universally suck.

I have seen more chop-socky flicks than i can shake a stick at...very few have stood the test of time to the point that I can still watch them.

The flashes of fun in the action scenes cannot compensate for wafer thin plots and excerable acting.

Ones I CAN still watch are "Bloodsport" and "Enter the Dragon"....and "Cyborg" is still awesome too. Plus "Revenge of the Ninja" with Sho Kosugi rates high on the "fricking awesomely bad" scale

5. 1233jessie

1233jessie New Member

Yea Keith should've been way bigger. Idk how to describe what I want. Maybe the hardcore action mixed with cheesy one liners. It's just not the same. And I went to try and find some of those films from 80s 90s and they're tough to locate. And if you do happen to find them wow they're expensive.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Have you seen "Fatal Flying Guillotine" or "Killers Invincible" they are cringe inducing but quite amusing.

7. nocturnal

nocturnal Valued Member

Sasha Mitchell's KickBoxer movies were made when Kick Boxing was the 'in' thing at that era. Nowadays, MMA is the 'in' thing. That's why so many MMA theme movies lately.

For movies that are sort of similar to the 80s and 90s American martial arts movies, check out Scott Adkins' movies and Michael Jai White's movies.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yep - the "Fatal Guillotine" also made an appearance in "One Armed Boxer 2", although the design improved from "top hat with teeth"

"36 Chambers" and "Shaolin Challenges Ninja" are still awesome - bit then anything with Gordon Liu in it generally is

9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I always thought it was a plant pot with a power drill in through the top.

I wonder if one armed boxed has the guy from "One armed swordsman" and "Zatoichi and the one armed swordsman" in it.

I think I'll have to try to track down 36 chambers and Shaolin challenges ninja

I had Shaolin Vs. Lama, that was pretty cool.

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Its like JCVD said in an interview once, you can only get revenge on on your dead twin brother's gang so many times.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Says the guy who has played multiple roles in the same film... what, four times now?

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Are we talking about Eddie Murphy, now? :p

Netflix has "36 Chambers." I know because it's already in my queue. :)

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Cinema has moved on from the days when you could sell a film based solely on the stunt work.

14. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I liked Warrior, all of Tony Jaa flix and the Raid.
    Most recently ive seen a strange movie called Dragon, i think, with Donnie Yen.
    All dcent flix in my opinion.

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i think with the expendables, and what was wrong with romeo must die (jet li) action movies are making a comeback, dunno wheter we'll get predator style awesomeness or camerons aliens, but check out wu xia, featuring donnie yen, yeah its a bit wired but arent the recent wire fu movies like the bombastic action movies of the 80s? just for a new audience......................get you're ass to mars.................20 seconds to comply etc etc

16. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Don "the dragon" Wilson all the way :)

Ring of Fire is an awesome movie :)

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

also the rush hour films with jackie chan are a mastery of stunts all done by the man himself, and hes a double hard mustard

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

ring of fire? isnt thats a jonny cash song, or last nights curry

19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i enjoyed "redbelt" tremendously. sure, it's got a bit of "deus ex machina" to it, but i thought the end was pretty rewarding. i also enjoyed "warrior".

there's good stuff out there, just takes a bit of looking. i know we all love those 60's, 70's and 80's bad action movies, but like hannibal said, they were bad not good. we just inflate them in our mind.

there have been several modern japanese samurai movies in recent years that are worthy: 13 assassins, twilight samurai, amongst others.