Disagree or Thumbs down button.

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by CrowZer0, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I didn't post in reply, Thomas.

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

That's all I ask. It's a nice addition on a few forums I visit. Thumbs up/Thumbs down etc. It would be a nice option on MAP regardless of what people's personal opinion on the matter is. If anything why not a trial basis?

Other forums use it, why not MAP? Is my thinking. :p

3. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

This one's easy

Give the post thanks then remove your thanks as a show of contempt

That'll show 'em

4. CrowZer0

I just did it to you a few times! Did you get the message? :p

5. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I just did it back

TAKE THAT!

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How would it help, though? Is it really more meaningful to know that 67 people disagree with that premise than it is to know the details of why three people disagree?

We shouldn't be letting that raw number sway our views. Reasoned argument, sure. But the sheer weight of numbers?

7. CrowZer0

How would it help? In a similar fashion to the "thanks" button.

I don't really care about meaningful or not. I think it should work both ways.

Someone could "agree" with a post or "thank" a post. Wouldn't it be more meaningful for three people to state why they agree with a post instead of 67 people just "thanking" it, wouldn't it be better to know the details of why people agree?

I don't see the issue. It would work in a similar fashion as the thanks button, but in an opposite way. Why does it need any clarification?

It can have multiple uses, it doesn't have to be a disagree button it could be a dislkike button.

Imagine, a suicide or depression thread.

Someone posts "just go kill yourself already". Why do I have to justify that post with a response when I might be responding to OP?

Instead I just hit it with a "disagree" or "dislike" button. To show exactly that.

This is of course just a hypothetical, and I can think of less extreme situations and a hundred different ways where a "dislike" or "disagree" button could be helpful.

For example, someone says "Justin Bieber and the Spice Girls are the greatest musicians ever".

Why would I have to justify that with a response, or "explain why" I disagree with it?

Look at you tube and Thumbs Up/Thumbs down, the system works pretty well. If you look at Steamforums, Bodybuilding forums, reputation etc work really well.

8. CrowZer0

I was about to go to the How does one improve???? thread and write something like 1000's of pressups a day and punching a wall. As an example of something people may disagree with instead of "three people giving details of why they disagree". But thought it might come out as trolling and break ToS.

Also I believe PASmith once said he hates cheese. Now that I would disagree with, I don't see why I would have to explain why. :p (I'm sorry if it wasn't you PA, pretty sure it was).

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Because MAP's a discussion board? :whistle: :D

Mitch

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes

But this is only my opinion as a poster.

11. CrowZer0

My point is, I subscribe to many a threads and keep track of debtates, usually if I don't have something relevant to add to the discussion because someone else has done so adequately, I just hit it up with a thanks button, where in another thread I might be writing an essay! :p I look at some threads, and shake my head, and think, I should write "this" I turn to the next page I see someone, perhaps Mitch has done it already, I hit it up with thanks and move on :p

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Not liking cheese should be a banning offence.

13. CrowZer0

The thanks button exists already, it hasn't ruined or destroyed the MAP community with huge egos, (I hope not). I don't see how a dislike/disagree button would do the same. In that regards I don't see why someone would be so opposed to it. If it does turn out, that people are just disliking ANYTHING and everything posted by a particular person then it might help with noticing why.

I just think it would be an interesting experiment.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't bring me into your campaign.
    I can't be trusted with a disagree button. My left mouse button would break.

most cheese IS horrible

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Oh man, you start agreeing with Mitch you know you're in trouble :D

It's an interesting suggestion, definitely worth thinking about, but personally I think it'd be a mistake. The Mod team will definitely discuss it though.

To be honest the thanks system has already mutated from its original intention into a combination of Like/Agree/You Do The Same Art As Me/Hey, You're Hot! And as such may be losing its way.

That comment is in no way related to me not having enough Thanks. :D

Mitch

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dude, I'm just expressing an opinion. It's not like I'm making a formal MAP decision. I'm explaining why I disagree. To me, it feels like a courtesy to the person I'm disagreeing with. I think that's how it differs from the "Thanks" button.

All of that said, you're floating a suggestion. And it would hardly be the first time I was wrong if MAP implemented it and it was a raging success. Fair enough?

17. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Don't really see why it's necessary... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A reputation system might be more in order then. Like the UG, you get "VTFU", and "VTFD".

19. CrowZer0

I'm only responding to the issue you have raised. I get the whole courtesy thing. But everyone can't be as polite as you. (Not mocking you).

If I responded to everything I disagreed with, I'm sure things can get very heated and I could respond in such a manner where I may or others may have in the past got banned. A dislike button just seems like a safer option, instead of trying to be courteous.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think it may have more benefits than negative effects.

20. CrowZer0

See I would dislike this straight away. :p I hate the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" used in the wrong context.

In a "suggestions" area this is what you do.

Were cars in the 50s broken? No. Are they better today? Yes.

Computers, technology. Do things neccasarily have to be "broken" for an upgrade? No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.