Disagree button poll

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Grass hopper, May 2, 2013.

?

Do you think we should have a disagree button?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

There has been some discussion as of late about the idea of adding a disagree button to MAP to contrast the thanks button. I thought we should just take a vote and see if most of the folks on the forum want one.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I disagree.

..oh wait..

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

At least this thread has a disagree button. Anyone who does disagree should realize that they are affirming the necessity of such a button.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Why is the poll private? :'(

5. Kave

Kave Lunatic

If a disagree button is implemented I would hope that either the thanks button was replaced by an agree button, or that a separate agree button is added in addition to the thanks button. I hope a disagree button wouldn't dissuade people from being controversial, I would hate more blandness to creep into MAP discussions.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nope, terrible idea IMO.

Firstly, MAP is a discussion board. We're hear to generate discussion about MA, not truncate it to, "Disagree" with no reasons specified.

Secondly, Like and Dislike can get used for, "Like the poster" and "Dislike the poster." Posts should not be popularity contests. The "Like" function has already degenerated too far in this direction IMO.

Thirdly, an unpopular poster would just get summarily dismissed without any reasoned argument. Their history should not result in a simple dismissal if they happen to make a good point.

Just my thoughts :)

Mitch

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'm on a non MA forum that uses red and green- they deduct from one another. Works very well.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm on one of those two. Everyone ignores it until someone asks about it, then they drown in red feedback :D

Mitch

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with everything but the bolded. Well, I do agree with the bolded, but I also think that it has just as many benefits to outweigh the 'popularity contest' side-effect. I know I have quite a few thanks for some one liners that didn't contribute anything to a thread. I also know I put a hell of a lot of time in some posts with a good amount of information that have received 'thanks' as well! I see that trend with a lot of people with high 'thank' counts too. I also make a judgment on new material I'm reading about some part of MA on the board by looking at posters 'thank' counts as well. If it's high, I'll make the extra effort to research and find out if it's true, or ask questions. If their 'thanks' are little to none, then it helps me put what they are saying in perspective a little better. Overall it helps me navigate what information I should consider and disregard to some degree.

That is only part of the equation I look at when reading new information on MAP from a poster though. There are plenty of people with lots of 'thanks' that are excellent in one area, and then complete crap opinions or knowledge in others (myself included!). It isn't a solve all for me if somebody has a lot of 'thanks' to their posts, but its certainly helpful for me to navigate through information.

There are plenty of flaws with it, but I think the 'thanks' button is arguable and defendable in many ways as well. I think there are more benefits then downfalls to it. I don't feel the same way about a 'dislike' button. Maybe a 'suspect information' button would be better : P

10. Grass hopper

Things would seem to be going in the direction of no disagree button. I can understand the reasoning. I'm glad I did this poll, previously I figured the vote would go the other way.

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

No. I have clearly said that I expect this to be instated forthwith.

I did not vote, I don't like yes/no options.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, you either have a dislike button or you don't. What other choices do you want? I am curious.

13. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Perhaps another poll should go up asking not whether "we SHOULD" have a dislike button, but whether people would care either way.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

At least edit the poll and make a 'maybe' option so matt will be happy.

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I voted "no" and I liked Mitch's rationale about this being a discussion site. If you disagree, tell someone why. If you don't feel like writing a response, don't bother (or pick someone's view you like and say you agree with them).

16. Grass hopper

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that. Sorry Matt, you can launch your protest freely.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I personally wouldn't like MAP to have it. Echoing Mitch, MAP is a discussion forum...if you disagree with a certain post, then post your reason as to why and it rolls on from there. (with ToS and taste)
    I press the thanks button when I agree/like the post and basically when I can't add any more info to it. In a way, it cuts down on unecessary postings, such as

or
    Which is evident from very early MAP, where "post whoring" was an issue.
    Single posts like

Won't cut it with me, as I'll be then asking "why and explain"

Dislike/No Thanks/Don't Agree button can also be used as "Troll tool" , also when we have the fresh faced, posting shy members finally plucking up the courage to post something, it can be disheartening when they see a post with so much negativity underneath it.

Reminds me of the "dislike" button arguments for FB.
    The Thanks button is still quite young on MAP and has developed well, give it a while longer and see how things go. Minds may be changed etc...