Disabled student here.

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Frogman316, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

I am disabled ( Bipolar, Manic Depresive, Tremors.) and I train in the Martial arts. It has actually improved my condition quite a bit even at a early stage of martial development. I remember things better, my tremors have subsided, and my depression and bipolar is well under control. I highly recommend martial training to all who can phsically do so. I believe it is even possible to learn even confined to a wheelchair. If Jacckie Chan movies have taught us anything it is that one can use all around us to fight successfully, despite our shortcommings. Thanks have fun. <(-.-)>

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Wow...thats some recommendation :)

Welcome Frogman. Where abouts are you base? Are you in the UK?

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

how does having 2 very managable mental disorders make you disabled?

4. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Certainly mental conditions can be a disability. Perfectly fine people have been diagnosed with such conditions and lost their jobs for it.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats a shame then. i have a few bipolar friends and my dad is a manic depressant. they do just fine.

6. gogz

gogz Crom!

Tekkengod, it sounds as if you're trying to catch him out...if he says these things then they must be true.

gogz

7. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Actually it is the combonation of the 2 disorders that make me disabled along with at the time some pretty bad memory and cognitive problems and tremors. My hands would shake so bad that it was hard to eat. I have informed Social Security that i have improved a bit. So I will only be getting 2 more checks before they cut me off completely. It was a diagnosis of disabled with a possibility of improvement in condition.

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

no no i'm not trying to catch him or bust him out or anything i'm just saying that because i have family/friends with those disorders and it dosen't seem to slow them down, but i suppose if you had both it might be slighty differant.

9. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Hey man I understand and yeah it held me back but the operative word is HELD in the past tense. I try not to dwell on it too much but some people get worse effects than others. I however did use my money wisely. I took an art course and am prepared for a job in the art field. So I will be paying back into the system when I land some work. A friend of mine is going to help me put on a gallery show when I have enough artwork ready. As it is now I maybe only have 2 pieces worthwhile to put up (at least I think I only have 2, I tend to be my own worst critic about that sort of thing).

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

kewl. good luck with that.

care to post some of your work? i'm a BIG art fan

11. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Artwork

Ok i will post some after I get a scanner. My friend has one but I think he lost the drivers. I don't do Flash or CG art in anyway. It is all pencil, ink, and paint strictly.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

kewl. i prefer pencil sketches ayway. :) got a website?

13. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Not yet like I said I am just getting of disability and well the money is a bit less than I need to do a website. I have an aquantiance who makes websites so I will ask him to give me a round figure estimate on the price of one.

14. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Bipolar Mania

"We will never surrender!" ~Winston Churchill, who just happened to be bipolar.

15. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

I would like to congratulate you brother. I am a manic depressive person, and martial arts had greatly helped me a lot in managing my emotions.

Given the right mentors / martial arts instructors and with the right discipline one could greatly benefit from martial arts.

16. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

I humbly accept your gratz, man.

17. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Sounds like you're getting side effects from the medication that you're taking. Have a word with your doctor about it, it should be possible to adjust your medication to eliminate the tremors at least.

18. Frogman316

Frogman316 New Member

Tremors

Nope, can't get rid of them already changed from that med I was on that started it. All those meds in that specific family cause tremors anyway. :(

19. charmed1

charmed1 New Member

Just wondering what style do you do? is it one or a mix of a few. As i am wondering what type i should proceed into and have tried some when i was younger but was told that i would not be able to do it.

20. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome charmed1. Please explain what your limitations are and perhaps we can make a suggestion? Thanks for joining us. :)