Disable martial arts? Really?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Truth Junkie, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I found Quadruple Amputee MMA slightly disturbing... His opponent had no idea what to do and the fight was avoided. Although I don't dispute that mr.amputee must have balls so large he should be using them as space hoppers to move around the area.

For anyone who thinks disabled MA can't work at all, try a drill (2 man, 1 lying on back, 1 standing) the standing partner has to try and get a clear kick/knee to the head,the lying man can only use his legs to kick the attacker. It is surprisingly difficult to attack the prone target. For someone stuck on their back, using only their feet...

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

This for me is the real nub of the issue. Other than people who have the most extreme disabilities, I find it difficult to envisage anyone who wouldn't benefit in some way from some form of martial training.

To argue otherwise seems frankly bizarre.

Mike

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You'd feel even older if you met him. :evil:

Though in all fairness he's a very nice, quiet guy.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I couldn't agree more.

My three-year-old son is also on the autism spectrum. He's too young for formal martial arts classes, but I've been working with him with focus pads and my free-standing heavy bag. I've already detected (small) improvements with motor control, and I fully intend on signing him up with a children's karate program when he turns four (the earliest this program will take kids). "Diluting the art?" I don't care if it helps my son.

A co-worker has a son who has had significant spatial-relations problems and fine-motor-control problems after early childhood encephalitis. A kid's karate program has helped him dramatically improve his motor control skills. He is now to the point where an observer could not tell that he was any less neurotypical than any other child in the class.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Best thing you can do Mitlov is get them young!

Generally it's been shown that the sooner kids on the spectrum get the assistance they need the more room for improvement there is.

Of course it all depends where on the spectrum they are.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

QFT

Anyone who complains about various arts being dumbed down through kids classes (and it's been me sometimes) should be told to shut up and read this.

Doesn't mean kids classes should be the same as adults classes, does mean that kids can benefit hugely.

Mitch

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

No doubt.

Mini-Mitlov is somewhat mild in the grand scheme of things. He lost the ability to talk at about 18 months, but that came back with aggressive speech and occupational therapy (read: several times per week, and at least 1/4 of our household income). He has moderate motor skill issues, moderate social skill issues (mild when at home, pretty significant with other children). No cognitive delays. A special-needs preschool which he just started will hopefully help with the social issues, and I think martial arts will probably be the biggest help with the motor skills.

Every book we've read suggests martial arts first and foremost for developing motor skills with kids on the spectrum. If the original poster is reading this, to my knowledge there's not a single other activity that's as good, not to mention better, than martial arts for helping improve motor skills in special needs children.

8. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

also, Martial Arts can give them something to live for and an extended family.

9. reedk

reedk Valued Member

Better with training than without. If a opponent tries to strike a person on a wheelchair and if the wheelchair person has some sort of training to block the strike there is a good chance he or she can counter. Anyone agree?

http://www.hawaiiufc.com

10. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

From what i saw on "The Ex" that guy in the wheel chair whooped some ass with hapkido though it was a movie lol

11. Omicron

Omicron is around.

12. FYI

FYI Valued Member

The attitude expressed in the subject
    post is based upon a deep seated prejudice against people with disabilities. Unfortunately, this type of attitude can be found among others involved in the martial arts.

It seems to come from young men who believe that the exclusivity, macho, and "toughness" of the martial arts will be decreased by participation of those with disabilities.

This blog talks about prejudice in the martial arts:
    http://stopprejudice.blogspot.com/

13. GoshinRyu

GoshinRyu Valued Member

i just thought folk might find this both interesting and inspirational:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXUugN4bZc"]YouTube- Dutch in Ring by Bob McCormack Nunchaku Do[/ame]

GoshinRyu

Also on a side note, its worth mentioning that some folk practice the martial arts for that reason alone: ART its an artform that we find fun

That simple

14. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Idiot

Even though this thread was started by an idiot it turned out to be a very intresting read. Thanks guys.

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Pretty much the only reason we kept it. Well, that and as a demonstration that the worst sorts of people who post here do usually end up banned quite quickly.

16. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I never posted in this thread but i will now. I was born with an underdeveloped cerebellum ( its the part of the brain that controlls things as balance and coordination and so on and mine was found in mri when i was in my 20's) which means that my balance coordination, fine motor and gross motor are all affected. I'm not disabled but I do have a difficulty. I grew up hearing that i should concentrate on intellectual things cause doing things involving the body are kinda outta my league. Even my parents said that. Even now my parents still say karate isnt my greatest gift and such (though my senseis said they disagreed they said there is a talent for it there in me and well they have been watching me train for over a year now) I ignored all the negative nabobs of negativism and went into MA's anyway. Now I amthisclose away from getting my orange belt and have two medals (a bronze and gold) I got from tournaments where I competed against people who have nothing wrong with their balance and still do quite well in my Shotokan. :)

People who have the attitude of this OP of this thread who got banned before I joined this forum can pretty much go and pound sand. :)

17. Power_plant

Power_plant Valued Member

This link contains various news stories of people who are visually impaired and learn martial arts and have used it in their lives.

http://www.chinastrategies.com/blindnews.htm

Everyone deserves to learn martial arts no matter who they are. The martial arts are not just for one person, elite or nation, they are for all.

18. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Thanks Aegis, that guy was a royal "exit hole"...

19. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

I think you are very ignorant o_O....
    In my opinion, it's better to know to defend yourself then to have no knowledge whatsoever. At least they'll have a sense of being protected and being ready.

20. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

amen and awomen