Disability - A Perception

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Melanie, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I've been giving this some thought. I always imagined a disability as something visable, something you could actually see and take note of immediately. Maybe a lost limb or one eye. But disability can mean so many things.

The unseen illness of Epilepsy can have a huge effect on someones life. Many students and indeed Instructors will probably find an epileptic fit something quite frightening. Some instructors may refuse to train an epileptic due to the concern they may fit during training or might be hit too hard in the head by accident. Sure, being hit in the head isn't good for anyone! Anyone can have a epileptic fit even without being hit in the head.

Also ADHD (or even ADD). How do you train someone with this? This can have so many symptons - that why it can take years to actually diagnose some one with this. Maybe because you can't hold this particular students attention very well you may give them a cursory check and then move on to the "proper" students without even realising that this is problem for them.

Then there is the impaired vision or hearing that some people have. You think they're not paying attention or they're staring at you too hard. Maybe this student is embarrassed/ashamed of their condition and try too hard to compensate.

Finally there are the mild autistic people. They seem determined to make their feet bleed with the constant repetition of one kata to get it right. They constantly ask the same questions in a bid for perfection. Their gi looks practically starched in position with the hard steamed ironing they did before coming out to class. They adjust their feet all the time making sure they are the recommended distant apart.

Had you any idea there were so many disabilities possibly lining up in your class each time? Have you got any of the above in class now? Or others? How do you deal with these students?

2. Melanie

No takers here? I thought some instructors might have come accross this at least once?

3. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I teach my step son 9 year old adhd and his main problem is stopping to listen to verbal instruction he wants to just keep going but he learns the physical movement very fast. I would love to never be tired!!! Once he is done with a physical exercise he is better focused on academics. I home School.

John Runer

4. Melanie

Do you have frequent breaks to retain his interest? Or is it easier to just stick to the class? How long is his class?

5. ember

ember Valued Member

We have 'em. We teach them. It takes lots and lots of patience, and respect. Everyone learns differently, even those with no disabilities. Some of it is a matter of pacing, not overloading with material.

The hearing impaired adult, it's a matter of getting her attention, looking at her when speaking, enunciating as well as possible. She'll ask for clarification if she doesn't understand. She got her black belt and is now helping instruct.

The boy with disabilities, not sure exactly what but seems kinda autistic... Patience. Lots of patience. Encourage him to participate in the activity. When he gets down on himself, remind him that he is doing all right. *Especially* encourage him when he gets it.

The seven-year-old with trouble focusing, when he is paying attention tries too hard... encourage good behavior. Remind him that for his yellow belt he needs good ettiquette. Try not to rush him through too many different activities too quickly.

The instructors creed at my school goes like this:

I will teach this class as if it's the most important class I will ever teach.
    I am patient and enthusiastic.
    I lead by example.
    When I teach the student leaves feeling better than when they came in.

6. humble student

I teach my son for one hour at a time. That is about as long as he can focus.

John Runer

7. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

this creed seems to focus more on the instructor rather than on the student's development. all those 'i's.

8. Melanie

I guess there are a lot of "I's" but some one has too lead don't they. If you proffer a good example to your student surely that will make them appreciate the lessons.

My opinion any way :D

9. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I teach basic computing (rather than MA), but there is only one thing I can be certain of in a class and that is ME. If you are going to have a creed, then have one that will give the best to your students via the only think you have any control of :)

Melanie - One for your list of 'invisible conditions' - Multiple Sclerosis. Various symptoms that can cover any function of the body, and a tendency to tire (physically and mentally) very quickly. People get very confused when my wife walks past them one day and is pushed past in a wheelchair the next - then gets out to get the chair up stairs. Common fallicy - someone in a wheelchair is wheelchair bound... NOT necessarily.

10. Melanie

Yes...sorry that is a very good one - seems there are there fair share of MS sufferers in MA I'm sure.

11. humble student

I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and major depression, some childhood!! Not eveyone considers these ddisabilities even though I recieve Social Security disability for these and a moderate birth defect. No one is as disabled as others think they are but if you have an invisible disability they make you wish you were invisible, oh I have epilepsy and I am an instuctor!!! But the STUDENT is what matters your not a teacher without a student and ego's are useless to everyone!!! If you can imagine it you can do anything!! Don't ever let another human being limit your potential EVER!!!
    John Runer

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  12. batfink

batfink Valued Member

Its not really a black and white matter either, its very grey. I'm short-sighted, and need any visible signals (eg instructors nod to join the class) to be exaggerated to see it without my glasses. However, with my specs on, I can see 20:20, (I drive, work etc) so am I classed as disabled? Of course not, but its still a slight disadvantage.

Clarification: Wait until sparring with someone with 'nutcase' eyes to psych you out - doesn't work with me! Not always a bad thing then.

Incidentally, my mum has had MS for 24 years and still nurses as a ward sister, all down to a particular cocktail of vitamin supplements and a good diet. May sound odd, but the two times the vendors have withdrawn them from the market (to increase the price WAY beyond inflation once MS sufferers are desperate) my mum has had a major MS attack. Let me know if you want more details.

13. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Extreme Diversity

I teach a group of people that have a wide variety of disabilities, both visible and invisible. Fortunately MA has an even wider variety of things that practitioners can gain from studying. The favorite aspects of training enjoyed by our group are meditation and conditioning. There is always the underlying theme of self defense. This is after all what seperates MA from exercising. In each of my classes I try to find a way to use MA training as a way for my students to transcend their supposed limitations. The successes I see daily no matter how small, renew my faith in the human spirit, and the transformative capability of MA. I meet the challenges of teaching the same way all teachers do; with compassion, patience, understanding, and love. MA training creates a bond that surpasses the limits of the human condition.