Dirty Tactitcs Vs Grappling

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Muay Thai Boxer, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Why not? Get yourself in position and show that the attack was there. You don't have to dig someones eye out to let them know the option was there, or bite their ear off to let them know they weren't defending the possibility. You can grab someones cheek/edge of mouth rather than rip their face to let them know you could fish hook them. You can grab fingers without breaking them.

That's just 4 examples of what people use as dirty tricks and how to train them. Better know what position they can be used in during training than not have a clue when it comes down to it.

If you don't find some compromise on using and training these things you are limiting yourself and you can't expect to be able to use them in "extreme self defence situations"

2. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Agreed, then you're basically just training ground grappling anyway. It'd be exactly the same. In fact, I've had a few things, such as biting lightly applied by my partners when rolling, just to inform me of what could have happened. It is informative I agree. But, without training groundwork at the same time, training dirty fighting techniques is pointless, because you can't find the context for the techniques to be applied. Also, if you do train groundfighting, you are more likely to realise in a self defense situation that a certain dirty fighting technique can be used in a certain position, even if you haven't trained it before. Time invested in groundfighting training is therefore more valuable than drilling dirty fighting techniques. Of course, combining the two is the best training you can get.

Agreed for the most part, but you won't know the other half of the equation, in other words, the effect of the technique being applied. You can only speculate on this. If I punch someone in the head during sparring, I know what effect it'll have and I can exploit this knowledge to my advantage. However, if I don't know exactly what's likely to happen from experience, I may not be able to capitalise on it.

I agree that if a technique can be performed from a certain position, you should inform your partner of it.

Agreed, but the question was not about being able to use them. It was about dirty fighting vs. grappling. I would, of course, recommend using both at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  3. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

dirty tactics...lol...love it

if you read up on some kungfu you could learn to poke their eyes out, id guess you poretty much win after yove done that? well u could at least run away and hide. Im guessing they would never find you LOL :D

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

You've never actually tried doing that have you?

5. Tim T

LOL, no. im a quick runner ;)

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I ask because in trainning I've tried dirty tactics on more experienced grapplers then me and it never actually worked. You can't get into position to do any damnage.

7. Tim T

no ive never tried it. but there are quite a few techniques which do cater for pulling peoples eyes out, many of the snake movements from kung fu focus on attacking at the eyes. in particular "snake searches for the pearls" from the Hung gar system.

I have learnt a few nice tasty bit of dirty street fighting at my mauy thai class as well which are obveoulsy specially suited to grappling. they are generally performed whilst in the thai clintch, eg. stamping down on the opponents knee, pushing their heads down whilst clinched and then following with an downwards elbow strike to the back of the neck

you gotta love it but still ouch :D