Different Sword MAs

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by potlucky10, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Neil,

I wasn't referring to the art as a whole, mainly the performance.

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Sorry. Kogusoku, but I'm pretty sure you just set a new standard for pomposity.

First off, you can stop making me responsible for your generalizations and assumptions. In standard conversation I don't expect a person to be scrutinizing my every word for nefarious motives unless, perhaps they themselves have such motives. You have been ascribing negativity to me since post #1. I expected more from a moderator....unless you are in over your head. Fact is that you are no more right now than when you first put your foot in your mouth about the dyslexia.

As far as the level of performance......not that you had the respect to ask in the first place........
    the material you are looking at is for a Hapkido population, not a GEUM BEOP population. In YON MU KWAN Hapkido swordwork is not accounted for until 4th Dan as a requirement for 5th Dan.....but of course you knew that already, right? The forms in the videos are for 6th -2nd GUEP respectively....but of course you knew that, right? I bet you even knew that the forms at that level only represent some 30% of the over 33 sword methods used in that tradition, right? Sure you did.

I've deleted the last part of this post as it probably wasn't very respectful the balance of the Japanese sword population. However, I can easily imagine that your use of Japanese practice as a defacto standard for Korean sword practice is a historic irony not lost on many.

I've lost my taste for this and leave you the last word. You might have cultivated a decent contributor to this part of the forum since there aren't that many folks who are graded in Korean sword. Apparently it was more important to be regarded as omniscient.

Your loss.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

May the force be with you Bruce.

The Bear.

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

It was you who put your foot in your mouth, insulting someone who had dyslexia about their spelling. However, how were you to know?

You posted the video. You made yourself open to scrutiny.

When I posted those observations, I made sure to just write what I saw, without any insults.

Who was being pompous again? :rolleyes:

Also make note that I did try to help your research by stating historical facts regarding the Toyama Rikugun Gakko. You may have already known them though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Thats My Line ;)

6. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

Kendo - Sport stick fighting.

Iaido - Japanophelia for old people.

Kenjutsu - Can be either of the above if your unlucky. If your lucky you'll actually find someone with a good understanding of sword principles.

General rule of thumb for japanese swordsmanship

1. Movements are always small and efficient.
    2. No big cuts or wild overreaching swings.
    3. Place and push. (Not hack and slash)
    4. A sword has no soul
    5. A sword is a sword, not a bokken or a shinai or a stick. (Although they are good training tools, remember the difference and don't let anyone compare them)
    6. Acrobatics and Gymnastics are not swordsmanship
    7. Never throw a sword up in the air
    8. A sword can be used like a stick or a bokken or a shinai
    (and vice versa) but steel is steel, wood is wood and bamboo is bamboo
    9. Never ever ever buy a sharp sword unless you have been expressely told to do so by your instructor who follows rules 1 - 8

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ace of Clubs. Please don't make pointless posts.

The Bear.

8. potlucky10

potlucky10 Valued Member

I know Bruce had touched on some Korean sword work, mainly because of his Hapkido training.
    Anybody else have some points on Kumdo?

9. Ace of Clubs

I think my assessment of Kendo, Iaido and Kenjutsu is very accurate.

If you disagree we can have a gentlemanly exchange of harsh words. :mad:

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Good for you, but it added nothing that hasn't been said before. So please can the troll style posting.

The Bear.

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Firstly I would say that you are wrong on a number of points.

Secondly I would ask who you are and what experience you have in these arts to make such statements.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  12. Ace of Clubs

I have studied Kenjutsu and Iaido.

I haven't been to a Kendo dojo but have encountered Kendoka.

In my experience, both Kendoka and Iaidoka are pretty useless when it comes to swordsmanship.

Yeah sure Kendoka can swing a stick really hard and Iaidoka can do flashy draws but that means nothing when the **** hits the fan.

I'll tell you when i meet either a Kendoka or Iaidoka who i don't ream in a sparring environment.

13. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

How long?
    Your exploits with the big sticks of other men aren't appropriate to be shared.
    Then you haven't met anyone good at either.
    Then you haven't met anyone good at either I'd wager. Sheer force and aggression can overcome technicians just because of the sheer will of the opponent. Ask a psych ward orderly, corrections or police officer who deals with psychotics, criminals or people so jacked up multiple people have trouble holding them down. Kendo has definite training drawbacks as far as lack of realism but the live training is definitely a good thing I think.
    Also those draws from iaido serve a very useful purpose. Remember one of the big myths of knife fighting: you'll have time to draw you weapon. The same thing applies to sword fighting. Personally for using a real sword meant to kill someone and not just a bokken I'd spend 65-75% of my time on JUST drawing because THAT is what will save you when the _____ hits the fan my friend: a fast draw while someone rushes you with an already drawn weapon.

Maybe visit a kendo dojo since you haven't then and fight the higher level students or the teacher.

14. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

As I share this information please note that I am not recommending this book for a particular goal nor do I sell this. I guess its just a way of say that this is not an "advertisment", 'kay?

Since there has been a lot of talk about Japanese sword and how it might relate to European sword there is a Japanese book that seems to seek to interrelate the two. My Japanese is not that good so I am stuck with the Japanese text. However, the middle portion of the book is largely in English ("old Sword Play" and is apparently authored by Alfred Hutton. "Western and Japanese kendo sword techniques" by Nakayama Hiromiti (ISBN 4-88458-134-2); price is listed on the back cover as 3200 Yen.....about $30USD, isn't it? I'm guessing people here may find this an interesting approach. I don't remember exactly where I got my copy but I'm guessing it was probably BUDOGU (https://www.budogu.com). FWIW.

BTW: Here is a description from the site:
    ".............................
    This marvelous book by Nakayama Hakudo, master of Kendo, Iaido and Jodo and his son is a treasure. Originally published in 1938 and long out of print, it has been republished in this wonderful volume. Nakayama Sensei demonstrates and discusses the uses of the katana and kodachi, both individually and together. For contrast, Nakayama Sensei includes a brief excerpt from an Italian fencing manual and a classical fencing manual by Alfred Hutton. One marvelous point of this book is that the entire section of Nakayama's writings titled "Nihon Kendo Katachi" is translated into English with page references so it is easy to find the pictures refered to. Anyone who considers themself serious about Japanese sword arts should have this book.
    |273 pages. With Japanese, English and Italian language portions. Numerous pictures and drawing. Softcover.This marvelous book by Nakayama Hakudo, master of Kendo, Iaido and Jodo and his son is a treasure. Originally published in 1938 and long out of print, it has been republished in this wonderful volume. Nakayama Sensei demonstrates and discusses the uses.
    ........................................."

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  15. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Saying you DID something is just another way of saying you QUIT..

Come up and see us sometime.

regards koyo

Attached Files: