different kyokushin organisations

Discussion in 'Karate' started by warakawa, Apr 21, 2006.

1. warakawa

warakawa New Member

Hi, i have doing kyokushin for about 2 weeks, i have a questions, hoping here on MAP some knowledgeable karateka will be able to answer.

1. There are quite a few different kyokushinkai organisation around. IKO, IKO2 (WKO), IKO3, IFK etc. Which of these organisations is the largest?

2. If one organisation holds a kyokushin tournament, are members of other kyokushin organisation allowed to compete in that tournament?

3. If i progress in kyokushin, say if i get into 6kyu in a WKO dojo, and quit. then later join a IKO1 dojo. will that IKO1 dojo accept me as a 6kyu or a beginner.

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think either the IFK or the IKO are the largest.

Depends on the tournament. If it is an "open" tournament, like the BKK British Open, then yes.

Again, it depends on the dojo/organisation. In any case, there's very little technical difference between techniques.

3. seyah

seyah Valued Member

Seen video footage of this style and whilst its a good system whats different about this than say Shukokai or tang so do????????????????????

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Go to a class and take a lesson.

You can't really judge if a style is good or not from a video clip.

The biggest difference it has to most other traditional styles is the use of full contact fighting in its sparring, and knockdown competitions. None of that padding nonsense either :)

5. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Theres also the International Budokai (IBK). Its a slightly different strain of Kyokushin as it also does Kodokan Judo, with alot of BJJ techniques, Boxing and a little bit of Sambo to smooth the "rough edges". The Kaicho of the organisation is Jon Bluming - www.jonbluming.com - and more information can be found here - www.kyokushinbudokai.org

6. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

1. Don't forget BKK!!!
    2. Only if it's an open tournament - most are organisation members only
    3. IN most cases the answer is no, but it does depend on the sensei/dojo/organisation you are going to.