Differences in Styles

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Greyghost, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Hi.....

I have been practising Yang Style Tai chi for just under 2 years and have completed the 24, 42 competition and the 88 step...i have also just started the 97 Sun style...

My question was....i have obviously noticed the differences in stance and posture between Yang and Sun style....but can anyone tell me historical difference...ie how they came about and when the seperated...assuming they were ever the same style.

Any information would be appreciated.

regards

fraser

2. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Sun Lu Tang was well versed in XingYi Ba Gua Zhang and Yang TJQ,it was said that he was influenced by all 3 when he made Sun style.
    After saying this I presume what you are learning is the standardised form,created by the PRC.There can be minor diferences in training and form movements between the PRC forms and other versions.
    Best to search google for Sun Lu tang for the Historical prespective.
    Hope that usefull

3. Greyghost

Hi,

the version of Sun style comes directly from Sun Lu Tang's grand daughter. I was taught the 97 step Sun Style and the 88 step Yang style by Professor Lee De Yin. Who works for the People's University of China and is the state-level coach in Beijing Martial Arts Committee. I have also had some Xing Yi lessons as well...

But my background knowledge of where it comes from is still lacking .....i will search google as you suggested...thanks kat.

4. Jim

Jim New Member

Have you guys seen this site? www.real-stick.com I'm not promoting/demoting it in any way, just wondering as to the legitamacy of it.

Feedback would be appreciated.

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Jim
    I have no doubt that this is totally legitamite in every way.In fact I visited the Beijing Tiyu Daxue when in China and can tell you that it is certianly a concertrated centre for information and practise of PRC wushu.They have clearly regcognized what unqiue spectum of knowledge that is contianed within various styles present at one time in there country.

Do people beleive that the modern versions are trained with the same intentions as in the past?Are changes from old to new benficial or detrimental?Are the performance of set routines what founders of many of the styles fore saw for the future of their style?
    Sanda or Sanshou looks barely dissimular from other popular kick boxing styles.While other varieties are not allowed or frowned upon by the goverment for having full contact tourments.

There is no doubting the physical ability of Modern Wushu practioners,however to say it is a continuation of the older styles traditions is a matter of considerable debate.

6. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

As Kat said Sun Lu Tang had already mastered Xing Yi Quan & Ba Gua Zhang.
    He studied Yang style for only about 3 years before he created the Sun style.
    I have only seen the full Sun style preformed on VCD by SLT's daughter, but I can say that it is very different from Yang style. There is alot of usage of the Xing Yi stepping/foot work and power development.

Greyghost, I know you're in Scotland, but do you know of anyone teaching the real Sun style in England?
    The only place i've found teaches the PRC standardized wushu form.

cheers
    Colin.........................

7. Greyghost

Theres a chap called Alan McDonald in manchester who is the real deal....i train with him on a regular basis and he is very good.

I will try and get a contact number for you. Is manchester local for you?.

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm greyghost tell me wat the difference u found in Sun style
    i m doin 24 form...
    to me it looks more fast than yang style...wat u say?
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Greyghost

Dont think its nessecarily quicker but it feels more "explosive" to me..the shorter footwork and follow up steps feel like there heavily influenced by Xing Ye.

Yang style has a longer stance and the movements are more prenounced.I.e. wider or longer.....Sun Style tends to be more compact.

Hope this helps.....no expert on this by any means.

:)

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

yup explosive, rite now i havn't generated that explosive power so it's pretty much fast which is also looks springierthan other styles. i kind a like this form... :D
    but my teacher made me do long n deep stances that was real hard...
    -TkdWarrior-