Diet Coke

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Macca, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Heres from an article our government dietician hands out regarding splenda as a sweetener. This is what it says it can cause....and this from a lower than FDA allowable amount. Yuck.

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
    Enlarged liver and kidneys
    Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
    Increased cecal weight
    Reduced growth rate
    Decreased red blood cell count
    Hyperplasia of the pelvis
    Extension of the pregnancy period
    Aborted pregnancy
    Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
    Diarrhea

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'd probably still take it over refined sugar if I had a sweet tooth.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Splenda I'm not too big on but I really do like Diet Coke with Aspartame unfortunately. I know its not good for me, but what the heck. I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I guess I'm allowed one vice......

4. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

benzene

There's a current news story in the UK of how a number of soft dinks contain both the preservative sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Sodium benzoate can produce benzene if mixed with ascorbic acid - and benzene can cause cancers.

For more detail see here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4763528.stm

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Man when I was young(er), pop was too expensive so my family wouldnt buy it very often. Im thankful for this, as now I dislike pop.

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

I drink buckets of diet coke. I should probably be dead already.

According to the media, everything is bad for you.

Who cares? Just drink it.

If it was "fat coke" then I would be saying "NO!!!".

Worse things in life to worry about like smoking, alcohol bleh bleh bleh bleh

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

No calories in diet coke whatsoever....according to the Slim Fast calorie counter book.....its really handy :rolleyes:

Keep on drinking my friend...

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

christ you make it sound really bad. its really not that bad unless you drink gallons of the stuff over years - even then its not going to kill you. agreed there are no positive aspects to diet coke, other than it can be a substitue for real coke but without the sugars and calories.

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

All this is going to come from a little Splenda? Simply laughable claims to be honest - WHERE IS THE SCIENCE? Always makes me laugh how they say that it has all this effects, when the only way they could know that is through good studies on humans. Beaut of a spelling mistake on the diarrhoea too ;)

10. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

there is this latest study - Press release and the abstract.

...but I don't know how much aspartame is actualy in diet coke or how much people actually consume.

Something else though... just knowing the fact that :woo: Monsanto owns nutrasweet is enough to keep me away. Here I'm willing to ignore science and studies... Monsanto is evil and I don't give a damn what anyone else says.

11. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Here is an interesting bit regarding the previous studies showing aspartame to be non-carcinogenic and why they conflict with the findings of this study:

12. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

13. Ad McG

Interesting study, seems like pretty good protocols. Shame there aren't a million people out there flipping out with cancer after even a few years of very regular aspartame consumption. This one interests me more mainly because it's on humans and has a reasonable group size.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2802896&dopt=Abstract

14. Ad McG

15. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Well I certainly wouldn't call it a shame at all. I wonder what the difference is between the rats and humans [edit: with regards to aspartame.] Do we have a gene that makes us less susceptible to the carcinogenic effects found in rats? Or is it still variations in the study?

16. Ad McG

Obviously you wouldn't call it a shame, you know what I mean.

The only thing that matters to humans is what effects a substance has on humans - rats and other model subjects are used all the time in testing because they are similar and give ideas that lead to studies usually on humans (sometimes on primates first, a closer model). I would be interested in seeing some more studies on bigger groups.

17. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Of course. Just a little ribbing.

Yeah, I'm curious if this latest rat study will spark more interest in the scientific or medical community. Lord knows the doom-sayers will be all over it.

In the meanwhile, I'll do my best to stick with my own "Monsanto = spawns of satan" credo and avoid it as best I can. I'm not much for sweets or any cola anyway.