Diet Coke

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Macca, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Macca

Macca Valued Member

Hi all.

I workout regularly and stick to a strict diet 5 days of the week (4-6 meals a day). But there is one problem...i love diet coke :bang: i find i need at least one can a day, especially when im stressed out. I just wondered though, is diet coke bad for you? Can it promote weight gain? Can it affect the results that you see from working out? If so, ill have to cut it back to having 1 or 2 times a week, which will be hard. I'd be very grateful if you guys could help us out on this question.

Thanks alot & take care.
    Macca.

2. Spidi

Spidi Valued Member

Any of them sissy beverages are not healthy in any way. I used to drink loads of regular coke, but I quit now, replaced it by water and milk and sometimes tea.
    Anyhow, I think in your diet coke there will be another sweetener than sugar, and they often use aspartame.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame Read around here, aspartame is NOT healthy.
    Need more info, google; enough info everywhere.
    Just switch to water, the magic potion ;)

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I think diet coke is fine, it's got so few calories in it that it shouldn't make a difference. It sounds like you'll get more of a negative effect worrying about it than you would from drinking it! :D

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Not really. No.

Nope.

Nope.

Still wouldn't be a bad idea. If anything, the caffeine in the soda is probably what you're used to. A 20-ounce Diet Coke has about 80mg. caffeine. Shoot for getting 1 gallon of water each day. After that's done, drink as much diet soda as you want. ;)

All-in-all, if you're training consistently, eating well, and staying hydrated, you don't need to stress the highly debatable "problems" from some aspartame.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Diet Coke is now made with Splenda now also (as well as aspartame)! :)

I've drastically cut down my Diet Coke intake as well.... I use to have more than one a day ;).... but a can of Diet Coke a day is not bad as long as (BeWater suggested) you have sufficiently hydrated your body with the required amount of H20.

I found the caffeine helped with the migraines I often got at work :bang:

6. linnetsmith

linnetsmith Extremly Valued member..

wow that link makes coke look really bad! my mate drinks about 4 litres a day!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There is the difference. If it's normal coke then that's a whole other kettle of fish, a sugar intake like that is ultimately a road to diabetes and tons of other health problems that come before that end point. If it's diet coke, then I would still say it's excessive. It's that kind of consistent over-consumption that might result in negative effects caused by aspartame and some other components. Let me emphasise that too much of almost anything is a bad thing, and you have to establish a level that is appropriate. 1 can of diet coke a day is nothing, 80mg of caffeine in a 20oz is nothing. 4 litres is an addiction, and not only is this addiction harmful (try coming off a caffeine addiction like that) but things like aspartame start to show bad effects. Aspartame has a horrendous reputation that is undeserved - only at the level of about 15 cans a day taken consistently for a long time will aspartame begin to show any level of liver toxicity and other effects.

I agree with Bewater in that if you get the rest of your diet in check, drinking a soda or two won't do a thing.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Diet Coke with aspartame is nasty stuff. Unfortunately I really like the taste of it. The state of New Mexico is attempting to ban the sale of anything with aspartame.

9. Spidi

Spidi Valued Member

Agree. But bear in mind they put aspartame in other things as well, like chewing gums, sweeteners, yoghurt, ice cream,...
    So you'll always get some aspartame in you.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

True, but as I said, the amount that you need to see any kind of negative effect is equivalent to 15 cans of diet coke - that's a fair wack of aspartame. Don't eat too much processed rubbish and you won't get anywhere close to the amount required, never mind on a consistent basis.

States are banning it because they are misinformed. At this rate, milk is going to be banned soon too if sensationalist articles and bad studies are all that governments go by!

11. Spidi

Spidi Valued Member

That's something completely different. There are studies that show that milk can have negative side-effects, and I saw a book in the library once that mentioned milk as a possible cause of cancer, can't recall exactly. But it is also proven that milk is good for men, it contains proteins, calcium and some b-vits also. While aspartame absolutely has no positive effects, it's just something unnecessary for people who want their pleasures but don't want to become fat from all the sugar.Well I've had it with this topic, going to bed now
    Cya :)

12. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

you will find a book, article publicaiton that at some time or another has linked every foodstuff and cancer. As with your comments about aspartame, the FDA has done extensive testing and found it to be safe. The concern has blown out of proportion from evdience that a very small percentage of the populaiton who may be sensitive to one of the sweetener's byproducts should limit their intake. There is no mention of cutting it out all together. And remeber this is a very small number of people. Its your choice obviosuly, but you will do well to avoid the stuff all together as it is used eveywhere. If your that bothered, you can buy stuff like Splenda that is made from Sucralose - no aspartame. Thats what I use.

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

If your biggest worry is one can of diet coke a day, you don't have enough to worry about!!! :D

14. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

All Coca Cola products are made with Sugar and sh...ifty stuff
    Try White Grape and Peach juice, tastes much better and its healthier

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The poster is talking about having one can of Diet Coke a day people! Move along already ....
    I am sure there are some of us that put worse into our bodies ;)

As I mentioned above.... Diet Coke is now available with Splenda (go ahead and post on the unfounded horrors of ingesting Spenda now )... it doesn't have the same metallic aftertaste as the regular Diet Coke.

16. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

this must be a US thing only. we dont have it here :cry:

17. Macca

Macca Valued Member

Thanks people! :)

I think you have answered my question :) ... But one more thing...Does a can of diet coke contain any calories?

Thx
    Mac :)

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

No, just some sodium and a few other chems....

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I know someone who drinks about 2 litres of fizzy pop a day. His 4 front teeth are about as thick as an average biro point because of the corrosion it causes

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Funny ..... Tate & Lyle (the creators of sucralose found in Splenda) is located in the UK!

Two British newspapers have recently published supposedly 'inaccurate' articles concerning Splenda, and Tate & Lyle has threatened to sue both papers if they did not publish a retraction (written by T&L) within 24 hours of notice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke_sweetened_with_Splenda

Actually Macca.... In the UK, a 330 ml can of Diet Coke contains around 1.3 calories (5 kilojoules) compared to 142 calories (595 kJ) for a regular can of Coca Cola