Did my first half marathon!

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Johnno, May 12, 2014.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I did my first half marathon (here in Leeds) yesterday, so I thought I'd brag about it here!

My training routine got severely disrupted by unplanned events about two months ago, and I then overdid it when I resumed, which resulted in me suffering really bad knee pain for the last few weeks. But I couldn't back out when so many people had sponsored me. In the event, the knees held up brilliantly, thanks mainly to that nice Mr Ibuprofen.

But beforehand I really was dreading it. In fact I was dreading it right up to the top of the first of the two really steep hills on the course. (I'd assumed that a half marathon course would be flat, like a marathon, but overlooked the fact that this is Leeds, where making people suffer is an Art Form.) But after conquering the first big hill, I felt that I could run the whole distance.

I had expected to suffer most of the way round, but it was really only for the last mile where my thighs started to seize up. I did get very hungry around the nine-mile mark, and got the craving for a pork pie. Water seemed a very poor substitute.

So overall I expected to struggle but to feel very virtuous afterwards, but in actual fact I thouroughly enjoyed the run. Wouldn't mind doing another one some time!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Congrats!

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Congrats! What charity were you running for?

I fancy give it a go at some point just for the overall experience....

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

St. Gemma's Hospice.

There's always a great atmosphere at these kinds of events, and a real sense of occasion. The support you get from the crowds and the small army of volunteers give you a real buzz.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good work fella!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Well done Johnno!

Mitch

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Good on ya!

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Nice one.

I was hoping to do my first halfie or full this year but some health problems have got in the way.

What was your time or did I miss it?

9. StooXex

StooXex Valued Member

Really well done

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

2:05:29.

It would have been nice to have gone under two hours, but I wasn't really aiming for a particular time. My goal was just wanted to get round, preferably without having to walk any of it!

11. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Congratulations, Johnno!

12. Bozza Bostik

Nice one. That's pretty fast!

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Thank you! I wouldn't call it 'fast', but taking into account my age, my weight, the hilliness of the course, and the fact that I hadn't run that distance before, I'm very happy with it.

I'll aim for 1:55 next year!

14. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Well done mate, be proud of yourself.

Baza

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

16. Bozza Bostik

Next weekend you slacker!! :)

How did you train for it?

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Great stuff, congrats and well done that man!

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats! Well done!

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:happy:

I've many years said I would and should run a marathon, or even a half, but I still haven't. You're a manlier man than I am. :D

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Congratulations! I did my 1st one when I was 40. I do respect you to start your 1st one when you are 50.

Did you have to put grease between your upper inner legs when both legs rubbed against each other? Did you find your body "shrink" to your next smaller size in front of mirror?

This was my 1st one. I took a 3 hours nap right after that. The funnest thing was I ran the day after. one marathon runner in the same race saw me and asked me, "Do you ever give yourself a break?" I just love running so much.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014