Did CERN just disprove one of the fundamental laws of Physics?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by holyheadjch, Sep 22, 2011.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm sorry, but that link was a huge anti-climax. I thought it was going to say that they'd found out that gravity doesn't exist, or something really WILD like that.

Boo! :p

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is AWESOME! I can't wait to have a read of the report, and see if I understand any of it :p

4. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Oooohhhh, interesting. 15000 experiments is a nice number to gain a trend from eh.

Thanks for the link Holy.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

6. holyheadjch

But but but, if they're wrong about this...time travel could be back on the cards. Interstellar travel! Green slave girls!

7. SpikeD

This will keep you going for a while.

Attached Files:

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You are joking, right? :confused:

Because if I write a long post explaining why it isn't possible and then you tell me that you were just pulling my plonker then I'm going to be..... jolly cross!

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Does this mean that theoretically, we could escape our own Universe?

10. SpikeD

A bloke down the pub sells tickets for that. :rolleyes: :evil:

11. holyheadjch

Hell, data don't lie (except when it does).

If those neutrinos have, as a result some previously undetected phenomenon, busted through the speed of light, then it could lead to a whole new branch of physics. Will it mean we see interstellar travel? Probably not, but it does mean that things we think we know about the universe aren't as set in stone as we think and I find that exciting beyond words.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Just to be clear, this is going to be a problem with their measuring instruments. However, just for once, we shouldn't let that spoil wild speculation.

13. holyheadjch

The thing is, they'd have checked wouldn't they? What they've done here is say

'We have some of the best scientists and engineers in the world, and we've looked at this over a cup of tea and a croissant (bloody French) and we're buggered if we can see what we've done wrong. So, before we make ourselves look silly by spitting on Einstein's graves prematurely, would you mind having a look and making sure Pierre down in the mailroom didn't forget to carry the one.'

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So are you saying that Einstein wasn't so clever after all? :confused:

15. holyheadjch

Oh no, he was clever, so what we have to find out, assuming this data isn't faulty, is how, given the theory of relativity, this could have happened.

I'm gonna get in early with a guess: Einstein Rosen Bridge. Gosh that guy had his finger in a lot of theoretical pies.

16. holyheadjch

Ah, solved it! This is all just a big hoax to celebrate tonight's season premiere of The Big Bang Theory.

Bazinga!

17. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I ruddy love the universe. Surely this and black holes and all that would be interesting to look at... Didn't I read/see/believe somewhere once that little bits of matter do get out of black holes? Or am I making that up?

Either way, it's interesting. Shame I won't be able to understand any of it.

I wonder what Brian Cox is saying about it...

18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Well they appear to be saying that they don't believe the results themselves and are asking for help working out what they have done wrong. My money is on clocking error (easy to do at that level I'd imagine) or it being an elaborate hoax (It's only a breaking story at the moment, needs to be confirmed).

But screw speculating about why they're wrong, that's no fun!

19. holyheadjch

Ah yes, syncing up clocks in asynchronous systems is a right mare. Good call.

What they need to do is set up another experiment with a different distance so they can see if that inaccuracy remains constant.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well if it is correct, and time travel will be possible, then perhaps someone would be kind enough to pop back from the future and show them where they have got it right... or wrong.