Did Bruce Lee ever study Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Obake, Nov 13, 2015.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

JKD is as much a way of approaching training as anything else. Bruce's famous saying is to take what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own. The question then becomes useful for what and in what arena? The JKD approach is and always has been used by a variety of different fields for example special forces. They take the realm of covert operations and unconventional warfare and apply exactly that theory.

You wouldn't take much if anything other than maybe some of the methodologies and more general tactics as some of the specifics such as weapons are somewhat out of date and the bits which do still work were never exclusive to the ninja.

2. ScouseViking

ScouseViking New Member

Clearly none of you have ever read "Bruce Lee: My extensive study of ninjutsu"

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's because only 53 copies made it off the press before publication was halted due to allegations of plagiarism from Andrew Adams' work!

4. -APEX-

-APEX- Valued Member

I've looked through all of bruce lees books and training manuals years back and I don't remember seeing any ninjutsu type stuff. His "trapping" style isn't like ninjutsu at all from waht I learned.

Bruce was a really intelligent guy, he had a library full of martial arts books from all different styles, he even studied fencing and took elements of that for his footwork.

I'm sure he would pull elements of ninjutsu if he knew about it, because its a style with a lot of effective attacks.

5. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

I guess definitely not because Bruce never mentioned the word "ninjutsu" or "ninja" either in a spoken or written way. Perhaps he didn't even hear of the ninjutsu art to begin with

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Bruce Lee has been raised to almost mythical levels for some odd reason. Yes he was a very good martial artist but there have been thousands of martial artists through the years who were probably just as good but never got the publicity.

7. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

Probably Bruce wasn't the best of all even during his time. And I guess he wasn't actually seeking to challenge other martial artists for a fight just to "test who is better". Generally he respected other martial arts masters. For example he had a good friendship with masters such as Ed Parker, Wally Jay, John Ree, Chuck Norris, a korean master of hapkido that I can't remember his name, etc. He never intended to challenge them. And not even claiming he was superior to them.

8. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Obake, you are wise beyond your years. Yes, Bruce Lee was a secret ninja. It is so obvious if you watch his movies. His use of disguise, use of climbing equipment and animals to distract his opponent(snakes), throwing stars, use of firearms, his close range punching, his ability to disappear, and more. Don't let those who hate the truth deny your exploration of the way of the intercepting sword.

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

You know, many people have noted that Bruce's method of fencing with his lead hand draws heavily from sword fighting. I think some people are looking at the finger and not the moon here.

10. Please reality

A true ninja like Bruce Lee uses analogy to have people looking at the moon while he is picking their pocket while they are distracted. He was the quintessential ninja, so much so that only someone like Obake could actually see how ninja he was. Only maybe one person in 10,000,000 is that astute.

11. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

I thought Ninjutsu came from watching kung-fu movies.

12. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

That video was rich, I vote cult.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

When did he Bruce train in Japan though? According to you, real Ninja's have to train in Japan.

Nah, you don't get to pick and choose exceptions to your own rule when it suits you. :p :whistle:

He wasn't a Ninjer.:vanish:

14. Please reality

You didn't know that Bruce Lee lived in Japan for awhile? How do you think he traveled from Hong Kong to Seattle? His ship docked in Yokohama and he spent 6 months to a year in Japan. It's possible that he studied with ninjas then, or Tanaka sensei, the teacher of Frank Dux, in America.

15. Kwajman

Frank Dux, a legend in his own mind...

16. Kwajman

You are correct, he was considered to be very honorable.

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Please reality: a master class in ninpo trolling.

18. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Was Bruce Lee a Ninja? No, but he could certainly do you a-ninjery! (Please don't ban me for that ;) )

Tom bayley likes this.
  19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Did Bruce wear black and did some night time spying in one of his movies? He also used darts? sounds like a Ninja. The first rule of Ninja, don't let anyone know you're a Ninja.

:)

20. Kwajman

Why does everyone seem to insist on 'ranking' martial artists? Can you really compare Bruce Lee to a GM in karate or judo to jujit su? Does it really matter?