Did a bit of sky watching

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Flying Crane, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

i am attaching some crude photos I took recently through my telescope. I do not have sophisticated photography equipment, but I am able to take simple photos with my iPhone, through the telescope eyepiece. Of note right now, Jupiter and Saturn are very close in the sky, close enough to be seen together at the same time through a telescope. I haven’t been able to get a clean picture yet of them together, but I will post if I manage in the next couple days. They will be at their closest on the 21st. The last time they were this close was back in the 1600s, but apparently it was not observable in most parts of the world. The last time they were this close and it was broadly observable was in the 1200s. The next time will be in 2080. So this is a pretty rare event.

At the moment I am attaching pictures of Mars with a very apparent red color, Jupiter with the four Galilean moons, Saturn with the rings clearly visible, the crescent moon, and the Orion Nebula. These were taken in the last couple of nights. The images when looking directly through the telescope are much better than these, some quality is lost with this crude photography. But still worth looking at.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Mitch, Mushroom, Nachi and 3 others like this.
  2. Flying Crane

Got some good shots of Jupiter and Saturn together last night, as well as some more good moon shots.

Attached Files:

3. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

I like those. You did well to get Saturn with the rings, and the moon image is lovely and well focused.

The Orion nebula looks like you exposed for too long, causing star trails. It's really hard to get unless you have a tracker or take many, many short exposures and stack them.

Thanks for sharing these

Flying Crane likes this.
  4. Flying Crane

With an iPhone, the photography is very crude and is the best I can do. I’ll post another picture of the nebula that I took a few years ago. I was in an area with less light pollution, perhaps that helped, it is a much better shot.

Attached Files:

Shmook and David Harrison like this.
  5. Flying Crane

Today I took photos of the sun, through a pair of 12x binoculars fitted with solar viewing filters. Was a bit tricky, I had to hold the iphone up to the eyepiece of one barrel while spotting the sun with one eye looking through the other barrel, without use of a tripod

Attached Files:

Shmook likes this.