Diastasis recti

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by gemtkd, May 17, 2014.

1. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Hi guys,

Ok, I just had baby number 3 and during the c section the surgeon repaired my ab muscles. I've been reading a lot online and keep getting different answers regarding safe exercises to strengthen my core.

So can anyone help me with safe ab exercises so I can get my abs back to normal?

It's been 7 weeks since the section and apart from walking occasionally I've been too scared to do anything that might wreck my abs again

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Congratulations on baby number 3.

Unless you get a reply from someone with medical experience I think we need to be careful with our advice. You've had an operation after all.

Have you had any recommendations from your medical team?

My first thoughts would be to avoid the old style crunches, or any twisting and pulling type exercises, which leaves us with the plank.

Is this an exercise you're familiar with?

3. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Yeah I know the plank. My surgeon left the country shortly after my surgery so can't contact him. Some websites say no plank, some say it's ok. All the info I have seen contradicts the other. I might give it a try, but only 10-20 secs at a time until I'm stronger and sure I'm not doing damage. It's quite frustrating there's no hard and fast rules on what's ok

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Simplest advice would be to find a post natal yoga group.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

One thing that is not clear is whether you have or have had a diastisus recti. It sounded like you might have also had something else wrong unless the surgeon in more than one area.

With a diastisus people try to keep the strain off the scar initially to allow the scar tissue to mature/heal. Sometimes the way to relieve strain on the tissues is to cross your arms and pull towards the midline with both hands to stop any lateral movement of the rectus abdominus.

I would not want to be too particular with advice since we don't know what was actually repaired but anytime you have a surgical repair you want to recover norrmal function in the area if possible which will eventually lead you to doing more trunk work.

Usually there is a Women's Health section in the physiotherapy department that can help you with these questions. If not you can look privately or possibly purchase a book for further info.

e.g. http://www.womenshealthphysio.co.nz/about.html

e.g. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Sister-Confident-Girls-Guide/dp/0980399971"]Hold it Sister: The Confident Girl's Guide to a Leak Free Life: Mary O'Dwyer: 9780980399974: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Oddly enough I had a diastisus in my gastrocs :' P

Good luck , hope this helps...

LFD

6. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I did have it. I got it after my first, then worsened with my 2nd, I had physio for it 2nd time but was told it'd never repair itself fully. My surgeon this time said he'd stitch up the muscles during section.

So now my abs are repaired but very weak.

I'll look in to post natal yoga, thanks