Diaries of a Foxy Kirby

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by FoxyKirby, Jan 20, 2015.

1. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

Hello everyone. Today marks the day I finally get back into my training. I've slacked off severely since high school, gotten substantially weaker, seemed to've lost quite a bit of flexibility, and obtained a very slight amount of abdominal pudge. This is also largely due to my obsession with sweets. How I love pastries, but shall no longer indulge.

My circadian rhythm isn't really normal, so my mornings typically tend to be fairly early, granted it cycles through in a similar way Neptune and Pluto's orbits cross.

Day I (1/20/2015)
    -Cleaned out the fridge, ridding it of foods high in saturated fats as well as 'empty' calories.
    -Did about five minutes of relaxing stretches.
    -Did about 1.5 hours of isometric stretches and wall sits.
    -200 push ups, 30 second water break every 50.
    -200 crunches, 30 second water break at 100.
    -10 one handed push ups per arm.
    -2.5 pound ankle weights during light 10 minute jog.
    -To come for the rest of the day, Thriller dance practice.

This was all really spur of the moment. I got inspired the other day by watching some theatrics, and remembered how I used to enjoy expressing my body. Over the next week I'm planning on buying some new weighted clothing, probably around 10 pounds per ankle and 40 for my torso. And also planning on buying a new blender to make some natural smoothies.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

dat endurance.

pretty sure jogging with ankle weights is risky for the joints, though. maybe a weighted vest might be a good investment? (no pun intended :p)

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd wondered that myself. Especially getting heavier ones.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can't do 50 push ups! How the hell are you doing 200?!

5. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

I've always kept them several inches above my ankles and never experience any issues. I don't think I'll be attempting anything similar with 10 pounders though--that's for sure. As for a vest, yeah that's what I meant by for my torso. When it comes to wearing weighted clothing, I tend to do extended activities with them, depending on the weights. If it's something like 2.5 per leg/arm, I often fall asleep with them on, forgetting about them.

Is it really difficult to do 200? While I've neglected my weight training and so forth, I've always done 25 or so before bed since 10th grade. Perhaps it's due to how tiny I am or something.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Why?

7. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Have you ever got sore joints - or anything else that didn't let you train daily - from doing this? It happens quite often with my shoulders and I'm not sure whether it's a common thing or I just have stupid joints.

8. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

I think it's pertinent to include wall sits into the equation, because for a lot of it, I had my laptop on a chair, researching, until I couldn't hack it anymore. Plus getting used to stretches I hadn't done in years--I wasn't really timing myself or anything, I just remember the time I started and the time I finished doing everything.

Hm. Maybe I'm just in the prime of my youth, but no. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had any issues with my joints. The only weight related injury I've had is something akin to tennis elbow, but that was from doing too much weight on curls.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just don't go overboard with isometric stretches, they can easily do more harm than good.

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

1) Wow, that's some impressive endurance.

2) Awesome user name :p

3) This:

You can jog with 10lbers (hell, even I can do it if I'm on grass) but to be honest, having tried it in the past, it's not something I would recommend. With the heavier weights, it's better to do much shorter distance runs/sprints, remove the weights, run again at least the same distance without, rinse and repeat. It can mess with your basic moving mechanics though if you use the heavier ones too much (from personal experience).

@ Foxykirby - if you're looking for a new challenge, have you considered sprints while pulling a sled? :D :evil:

Haha! It's a strange feeling, isn't it?

From experience though, if you can fall asleep with them then they probably aren't doing their job so well any more and it's time to mix up the training method.

As for vests...have you picked what type of model you want? The types of strapping and how they clip together, as well as how they fit on you, make a massive difference to how you can move and what you can do with them.

Example: one of the ones I have is this (it's 20kg/44lbs):

[​IMG]

And it is absolutely terrible for anything other than weighted walks with decent amounts of weight. You can't squat in it without it interfering with your legs, you can't run properly in it because it doesn't sit properly on your shoulders and chest (at least not in my case), the Velcro straps tear quite quickly under stress and it can be awkward to take on and off, especially at the end of a session.

Ones like this on the other hand (which I believe is 10kg/22lbs):

[​IMG]

Sit much nicer on the torso and are far better.

To be honest though, to begin with I wouldn't venture much about 10kg/22lbs for a weighted jacket if you intend to jog with it. It'll probably seem like a silly idea and I'm sure you'd cope a lot better than I did, but most people just can't cope with that kind of strain on their bodies for the first few months. Certainly not for any kind of endurance event. Your shoulders will probably feel like they're being torn off after a while :p.

For a lot of people? Yeah. There was a time I could have matched you but not any more :eek:.

4) Awesome start to a log. Look forward to seeing what else you get up to :D :happy:

11. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Dammit I should be in the prime of my youth too :mad: :p

12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

When you say sore joints, do you mean that there's pain in the joint itself, or just sore muscles?

Given that the people you're talking to are both under 25 (or so they claim), I doubt that age is part of it. My guess would be either you have managed to retain the benefits of the time you did work out, or it's just a quirk of your body. For the record, I struggle to do 60 pushups, and that leaves me with sore shoulders for a couple of days.

13. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

You're all making me blush. I always figured my stamina was fairly inadequate, especially cardio wise. As far sleds go... that was actually part of a routine we did in my high school conditioning classes.

This is partly why I've decided to up it to 10 pounds a band. There used to be a feeling with 2.5 pounds where I'd take them off and feel light as air, but it's just not the same anymore.

I've looked into a little bit. I got the idea from Dr. Phil. There was an episode where they put some fat on a guy to make him feel like like a fat woman, much to his dismay. I figured it'd be a great way to push myself in a similar way I've used ankle/wrist bands in the past. Of course there's always movies and media like Dragon Ball Z that always made me question the consistent usage of full weighted clothing. But I was thinking maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZ3P77A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I used to carry my 70 pound dog around because she was lazy, so I'm completely guessing how 40 pounds would feel. For all I know 20 would be all I can handle. Still, if I did find it overwhelming, it just means I wouldn't have to buy an upgrade whenever I outgrow the lesser weight; which is a real pain with dumbbells.

I think I'm decent at coping with stress on my body. Back when I would lift every day I maxed deadlift at about 360 pounds and squat around 325 pounds senior year, which I think is pretty good for someone that only weighed 145-150ish, and not a dedicated bodybuilder (I'd imagine I'm about 138-142 now).

Glad to hear it.

I really don't know anything about joint issues, but if it's a quirk of my body, that'd sure be nice considering the variety of other inefficiencies it has.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  14. Fish Of Doom

19 is a prime number. enjoy it while it last, someday you'll be old and decrepit like me :p

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Sleds are the work of the devil :p. They do work though.

Yeah, you definitely need to up the weight then.

That is a horrible and cruel way to use weighted clothing. Of which I fully approve :D.

The jacket you're looking at should be pretty good actually.

Yeah, I hate that with dumbbells. I just recently got to the point I shelled out for a handle that uses standard barbell plates so I can mix and match them when appropriate. Touch annoying but it saves an awful lot of money on new dumbbells.

If you've carried your dog around then you'll probably cope pretty well with the weighted jacket on your back and shoulders. Whether or not you'll cope with the pressure on your chest if you do the jacket up a little tightly might be the bit that gets you.

Go for the 44lb jacket if that's what you want to do - like you said, if it is too heavy then you can work into it. It just might be a little heavy/awkward to do one of your jogs with for a little while (it's also a lot of extra stress on the knees and ankles). I think most people don't realise how difficult it can be to move with any kind of extra weight on you but you seem to get the idea more than most.

Damn, that's pretty good for someone of your weight. Wow.

So what's your background then, were you a wrestler/football player or just someone who enjoyed lifting?

16. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

It likely will, considering if I wear my belt too tight I can't fully catch my breath.

Depending on how much weight it is, I think it can feel similar to being physically exhausted. I recall a time I did extended cardio and wall sits, with my legs temporarily giving out on me walking down stairs (the railing saved me). Makes me imagine how brutal increases in gravity could be.

I actually never really liked sports, but always got told I shoulda tried out for something. I just wasn't the type to commit to anything back then, because I know whatever engagement I'd make, I'd break.

At first it was the whole "real men are like this" spiel. If you weren't built like a tank or "hard", you were a weakling, blah blah blah. That was in maybe 7th or 8th grade, and started doing really light stuff. In a way I can still reconcile it, I was incredibly scrawny back then and couldn't run a mile without puking. Eventually I came to realize how absurd gender constructs like that were, and none of those things made a man or woman what they are. But by that time, I'd come to enjoy the pump. I noticed myself getting stronger, going up in bench from 105 to 135, to 155, eventually to 235, etc.

Looking back I was always the center of attention amongst my peers, using lifting techniques from the pros like Arnold and Columbu. For awhile I'd dawned a Rocky persona (actually had the hair spot on and wore the striped short shorts from the fourth film, boxing shoes, robe, etc.). That was senior year, and the image required a lot of training. That of course, attracted quite a bit of negative attention.

17. Fish Of Doom

pics or it didn't happen :p

you're seriously strong though, good to have another lifter joining the ranks here :D. incidentally, have you ever considered competing in one of the strength sports, just for fun? (powerlifting, olympic lifting, strongman, maybe crossfit since you're also into the bodyweight stuff?)

18. FoxyKirby

FoxyKirby Valued Member

It seems I never got to dance practice yesterday, so I'll make sure to place more of a focus on that today. I did however, do a bit of dynamic stretching and some more crunches in its place.

To start my day off, I figured I'd watch a few scenes from Ip Man 2. (I've never seen either film.) The comments for the final fight were hard to delve through, with Americans and boxing apologists in a torrent of emotional turmoil.

Day II - 1/21/2015
    -Five minutes of relaxing stretches
    -Two-Three minutes of wall sits
    -10-15 minutes of dynamic stretches
    -10 dumbbell curls per arm (25 & 35 pounds)
    -Four mile walk
    -100 crunches

I'm fairly sore as I write this, so I'm doing somethin' right. Also, let's talk goals. I'm about at the level of flexibility demonstrated in this video:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZ0WUn8S34"]CLICK ME PLS[/ame]

Ideally I'd like to be here:

Also click me pls

I may or may not have one lurking around somewhere, but the outfit's hanging up in my closet next to its Rocky II counterpart. I've entertained the idea, but the same reasons I didn't play/do much of anything apply. Plus, especially now, I don't feel I'd really place all that high in anything; but maybe that's just me having worked out with guys squatting 525+ pounds, benching 350+, curling 80s, etc.

19. Fish Of Doom

well that's why he sports have weight classes. check out the local records for your possible weight classes, you never know :D

20. Fish Of Doom

besides, in pl and oly (and i think most cureect strongman events?), unlike ball sports and similar, although you are of course competing, you don't compete in direct opposition to anyone, you just try to lift the weight and hopefully succeed, so it's not quite the same thing, unless yo're by nature a very angry man :p