Developing a Strong Jab

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Mitch, Mar 26, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

BTW its when throwing a STRAIGHT PUNCH that you swing your body forwards into the punch to get all your weight on it.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

A jab is a straight punch. As opposed to a hook or uppercut.

Your opponent is not a car. You want to still be able to hit him when you evade. Hence circling. If you just shift to the side in a straight line, you're moving away from him.

And no, you don't. You don't know how to throw a punch. That's the whole cause of this discussion. You're arguing from a position of ignorance on dirt basic fundamentals.

3. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

So you tell me how do you throw a straight right or left properly? I don't think you know based on what you've said. you must be a very light puncher if you don't know how to get your bodyweight into punches.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Sometime the boxing term may not be the best word to use. For example when we talk about the boxing hook, we may not include to use the inside forearm to hit on the back of our opponent's head. The only allowed hitting area in boxing is the glove. In combat, you will allow to use any part of your body to strike.

Old saying said, "If your opponent tried to block your punch, your punch would be fake. If your opponent didn't block your punch, your punch would be real". Whether it's a jab or straight punch, it's not up to you to decide but up to your opponent.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. Kurtka Jerker

I'm not saying you can't use your bodyweight in punches, I'm saying that to lean or swing yourself forward, as you have said, is completely wrong.

Buut, since you asked.
    There are plenty of ways to do it, but we'll go with the straight left I like.
    There are three ways I like to go about it.
    The first is sort of a counter jab. I stumbled my opponent a couple times in my last fight with it. My lead heel comes up and the toes turn in and my hips turn from a forty-five to aiming the left hip at the opponent. My shoulder stay in line with my hips so my lead shoulder is covering my chin and my head slips off line by a couple of inches. I like to counter feeler jabs and jam up combos that start with straight lefts with it.

The second functions based on a step rather than a big turn of the hips. It's simple. I just step out on a forty five degree angle with my rear foot and turn the both feet to the right so I still get some good hip action. It's a jarring left that sets up the right hand for a followup. Vitor Belfort uses it sometimes.

The third is one I use almost exclusively on lefties. I square up and use a wider guard so my left is a little bit outside the box and just counter his lead hand with a j-step and a jab over his shoulder. The j-step racks my hips into the shot so it's got some thump. It's probably my lightest but it's probably also the most likely to turn the chin the way I want to too.

6. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

A big turn of the hips is basically swinging your body into the punch. Thats what i was refering to. Guess i didn't come across very well.

7. Kurtka Jerker

But the whole begining of the discussion was your assertion that one can't get one's bodyweight into a jab without leaning. Why would you now be saying that the way to get one's bodyweight into a punch is by turning the hips?

8. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Vampire Girl........

Are you actually for real, or are you trolling. I can understand ignorance, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, when everybody not only tells you that you are wrong, but also shows you why, do you not stop to think that maybe you are the ignorant one? There are people on this forum who have a vast wealth of experience, and whom are more than willing to offer advice on a multitude of subjects. You are in the privelaged position of being able to draw from such a vast amount of experience from practitioners all around the globe, and you could come to learn a hell of a lot from it. However, you instead decide to argue a point that is clearly wrong, that the jab is only a flicky, quick punch, when I think even you know that everybody can see how foolish you are.

I generally lurk about these boards and have noticed that you have gathered a certain ammount of hostility from certain members due to the fact that you do not practice any art, and yet still comment on topics about which you have no knowledge and no experience upon which to draw. Either you are trolling, in which case you must be the most dedicated troll in the history of the internet, or you are just plain ignorant. My advice is to listen to the people here, take their advice, and when you are talking about something that you know nothing about, don't argue when somebody points out why you are wrong. It makes you look foolish.

9. The answer is in the ring! ;)

Osu!

10. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Ive never tried to turn into a jab.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'd honestly like to see a vid of you throwing your jab. Seriously. I think it might up a lot of the back and forth to rest one way or another.

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Oh... you mean as in rhythm? Yes, there are two different types of rhythm; short and long. Short is side to side, as in a horizontal movement (Joe Frazier). Long is forward and back, as in a vertical movement (Muhammad Ali).

Rhythm is primarily a technique for establishing timing, which allows you to react more efficiently defensively and offensively by means of transferring your weight. But rhythm is different to punching technique, which is what Mitch is asking about. Rhythm in terms of movement is a subject that goes hand in hand with the discussion of stance. Though rhythm is crucial in sparring, overall it doesn't make much of a difference in punching technique.

Here's an article on offensive rhythm (as in timing punches)
    7 Attack Rhythms for Fighting

And another covering an aspect of defensive rhythm (how to use your head)
    Advanced Slipping Technique, Part 1 - Head Movement

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNR97DR-Tb8&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNR97DR-Tb8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Okay, I was one that did not disagree with what vampyregirl originally said. I only seek more context and information before deciding to agree or disagree.

Firstly, I will throw out that the origins of the jab is probably something like a spear to the eyes technique. So using the finger tips, one spears at the eyes of the enemy. Another version, not as far range would be a lead hand palm strike to the face of the enemy with the fingers raking the eyes.

Given this theory of mine... you don't need a lot of power for a jab to be effective. You only need enough to temporarily stun and disrupt the timing of the opponent, IMHO.

Okay so far, I agree with vampyregirl.

Now comes where I think I disagree. vampyregirl does not think you put your body behind a jab. Well we equate putting your body behind a punch to power, but it is more than power you get when you put your body behind a technique like a jab... you get range.

So based on vampyregirl original description of a jab, I would say that it is setting a limit to the range of the jab.

On the other hand, the footwork, shoulder rotation, putting your body behind the punch, all equate to increasing the range of your jab. Your jab then becomes your longest ranged punch in addition to being fast and accurate.

IMHO.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's a bit more to it than that.

Did you actually train at a boxing gym, or was this more of a boxing fitness class?

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Russ is a great trainer so a very good video to put up. However, I still dislike his jab methods, as he shares he doesn't like his fighters punching with a forward step, but rather after the step. Despite that, a very good video to learn the basics from.

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

You are definitely not helping your claims that you know what you're talking about.

So you never move forward when you're boxing, only side to side?

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Boxing evolved from fencing, so the lead straight is actually based off of a fencing lunge. Though I'm no fencing expert (Mitlov around?), I'd imagine you'd have some thrusts that were more probing than power thrusts.

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I would not disagree with that but at the same time I think there was some parallel evolution.

For example, a lunging jab done like in fencing definitely comes from fencing. On the other hand, a stiff jab based on a falling step forward is distinctly different than the fencing lunge in footwork. I think they evolved along related but different lines of theory.

I will put this idea out there. Most of the way that jabs are taught these days has emphasis on speed. I think the idea of great speed and accurate jab works well with evasion and movement. Timing is important but because jab is thrown with such speed, great timing isn't necessary.

The stiff, lunge, or any type of power jab, I feel, having great timing is more important than having great speed. I think it is very rare to see a lot of good power jabs because it is very rare to see people who have developed great timing.

With great timing you see the people that have seemingly slow punches, catching people with knock out punches.

The way I look at it, with great timing you can always just use something light and quick if you want to instead of power -- but you can also use something not as fast but with much more power. However, without great timing, you can use something light and quick, but you will rarely be as successful with something slow and powerful.

20. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Yeah please forgive me for thinking i know anything about boxing:rolleyes: Ive only been watching it since i was just a kid and ive had lessons. And im not here to make friends you know. So take your lecture and stick it where the sun don't shine.