Depression Coming Back

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 23, 2016.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, but if we have all the links there then people can find them easily and move forward.

And there's still the discussion aspect with posting. I think the anonymity of a forum and talking to strangers can be for some people a great thing and stop people going a step in the wrong direction.

I know what you mean. When I was at a real low point in my life I tried to go to yoga as I heard it was good for stress and helps you relax. Problem was...my anxiety and stress was so bad, I couldn't leave the house to go to something that could possibly help me. And the idea of going was making me worse, I knew I had to do something, but the added pressure wasn't good.

The positive side was that I was reading around trying to find things I could do in the house and....meditation! And that's been a life changer.

It's never all bad!

bluelaser likes this.
  3. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Wow I am impressed with you openness, I don't have much to offer, but I am in the UK and if you want a hug and or chat anytime, you know where I am and as I mentioned before the fish and chips are good!

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Stickied. :)

As Simon alluded to, "Off Topic" might not be the permanent location for this thread, but we can start here. :)

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Sing along to a song on youtube. :)

:topic:

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

i have a list of stupid songs for those blue days!

Save the blues for the good times.

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I sing along to the black day songs as well. Seems to help me. Black day songs for me:

NIN - Eraser, Radiohead - Videotape or Eminem - Kim.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAQQnQzaSs"]Space Lion Complete - YouTube[/ame]

This song cheers me up afterwards.

then there is the choice of:

Pink Floyd - Comfortably numb,
    Golden Brown - The Stranglers,
    The Police - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da,
    Seal - Crazy....

what ever you feel. For me at the moment its Seal - Crazy :rolleyes:

Aphex twin - On

or Bjork All is full of love

or Boards of canada - Dayvancowboy

A nice way to wake up :confused::ban:

Sleep seems to be the most important thing. I want to have sex, I need to sleep...

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks for editing.:)

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

11. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

You could also check out 7cups, which is anonymous and online, I have a couple of friends who seem to love it, you have the felxible option of both text and speech.

12. khuang85

khuang85 New Member

Last year I had a particularly bad depression spell that made me really lethargic that I couldn’t train. I just didn’t have the energy to do it or even set an example for junior belts. So I put my training on hold until I got everything back together again. I also had to put it on hold while I was moving because I needed time to pack up my stuff and leave the apartment I was living in because the environment was stressing me out completely and I couldn’t take much more since I was literally losing sleep there. Sometimes taking a break from training is what your mind needs. Your health needs to come first.

bluelaser likes this.
  13. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Keep training, focus your mind to help others, you won't be depressed as much, i suffer from ocd it's awful, but i'm back in jkd training, and there was a few new comers since i last went, so in between my sessions i was checking them out making sure they knew the drill, nothing better to boost your mind than helping fellow trainers out.

It's a battle, but don't let the negativity win, your healthy and your into martial arts, get yourself out in town, go look at martial art books in shops and librarys, go chat to anyone who's interested in training, go find a new girlfriend, get yourself out of the house and go speak to people.

There's a world out there go live a life worth living for! Check out sifu kevin seaman and when your feeling like crap go read his facebook posts, it's helped me.

14. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Same for my ocd, it's a struggle to get out of the house without going back to the sink to wash my hands again and again and again!
    I've had to get back to jkd because my ocd was taking over big time, my dog died in march last year and it sent me off the rails this is what sent my ocd over the edge.

I've had to pull myself together and get back training, i told myself i didn't do 12 months at impact and pass my jkd phase 1 for nothing!

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Today was the first time in a long time that I really REALLY wished I was someone else. Some who has it easier than me. I'm living in a flat with my girlfriend, it's infested with mice but the rent is cheap. I work as a labourer and make £60 a day and only work like two or three days a week. The shifts are really hard, especially for me. I'm a 155 pound man, with almost no functional muscle. Today I spent 8 hours shovelling and moving wheelbarrows I did that for three little notes with a £20 sign on them. It really doesn't feel like a lot because twice now I've had the money and had nothing the very next day.

I got to training and got my butt handed to me by everyone. It was pathetic. I didn't feel tired but I couldn't push into second gear. Just felt like the worst purple belt to ever grace a mat. Like I must have been given this out of pity or something.

Went home and cried my eyes out in front of my girlfriend. I can't support us because I don't have an education or a solid job. I am barely a pro fighter and I seriously doubt I'm going to keep up as the level of competition rises.

I find myself right now incredibly jealous of all those that can buy things without worrying about affording it. I feel envious of people who are just mentally stronger than me and can push through things like this because I really don't think I can.

I'm crying again :(

16. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am sorry to hear that.
    Can't you find a different (side) job, through family and acquaintances, maybe? Or are there none available? Although this job may make you grow some muscle, it will more likely bring more un-benefits.
    You wrote in another thread you are in some course learning about cars, though. That is great! Maybe this is an unpleasant period of time that won't last long!

I don't really know to advise you, it is a tough situation. It's good you can talk about it and probably have a supporting partner, in front of whom you may cry and be honest. That is a great thing! You aren't alone in it, as long as you can support each other :) If times are tough now, isn't living with any of your parents a temporary option?

I'm sorry I don't really know how to help... I wish you all the best, though.

17. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Echoing Nachi, I don't know how to help, but am wishing you the best.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not much help, but in case you want to rant or let steam off, I can listen (well, read) rather well, I think.

Also it's not something people like to hear (I didn't anyway, but in the end it helped tremendously for me; even though I'm still ship-wrecked ;) ), but: Does Scotland have some kind of program, where the government pays for people with no job or part-time jobs and the such?

For example I'm getting (it's not the exact right term, but the closest dict.cc gives me) basic security benefits for job seekers (I'm not a job seeker, because at the moment I'm still officially wrecked, so that I can get my things together first, but do get money).
    That means, I get a flat paid plus heating (to a reasonable degree) and also get some money every month for food, internet, electricity...
    I won't get rich like that but sensible used I also won't starve and get some things all now and then (since my Mom still pays a lot for me, I personally am very lucky right now, money-wise).

It's certainly not the favorite solution for most people, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about feeding yourself and your girlfriend and other basic needs.
    But yes, I am aware, that for lots of people it's an ego-thing to accept that.
    For me it is as well.
    Not much longer and I have to go to to a public medical officer and see, if he will agree or disagree that I can't work like normal people or not.
    Looking at it from my perspective: Things are mostly okay right now (with deep, deep holes in between, like a couple of months ago, which have my medication doubled up to the highest allowed dose plus a supplemental medication), but I also feel, that I have to work now, things will break down for me (I know me, after all, and that's most likely to happen; I'm a damaged wuss in the end) - so, yes, it can feel degrading.
    The "problem" is: It also helped me, to get at a better point in live-*quality* after all: I can talk to people half the time (due to medication, not the money obviously), I live alone (which helped getting some things understood; if only that living on my own entirely by myself isn't a good idea yet) but with a person coming once a week to help me out (assisted living) and my Mom helping me still (luck, to overall have a great Mum) and according to my teachers I have made a great development during the last two too three years.

I'm still wrecked a lot of times, but I also can feel sort of normal a lot of times.

Why did I write so much about myself now?
    Two reasons: Pitying you won't help you and I don't want you to feel like only getting pity, so you would shut up or anything. Plus: For me anyway, it makes things worse.
    I prefer people telling me: You can make it! - which I think you can.

Second reason: Because I dislike my situation and it can feel degrading - but the "downside" is: It also helped, despite me disliking it.
    Maybe, if there is something like that in Scotland, it can make it easier to at least think about accepting help like that, even though the ego says: "That sucks".
    Because, yes, it does.
    But it also helps in the end, because you can concentrate on some issues, without worrying full time about others (like: 'What can I eat tomorrow for twenty Pence?' so to speak.

Most important: I wish you all the best to get through it!
    And I will spare you from: Heads up, things will better, because, Geez, aren't these annoying "wishes", people can make in these moments?

Nachi likes this.
  19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I feel for you buddy , on the job front , Ford are introducing a scheme where dealers can take on anyone , as long as they have zero prior motor mechanic experience , put them through a short course and then have them carry out simple repairs , recalls and such with a view to growing them into a more experienced technician.
    Now , I can't make any promises that you'll find any success , but it might be worth contacting any local ford dealers and enquire if they might be interested in taking you on under this scheme (they get something like £2000 kickback for participating) emphasise you have a good work ethic and would love to have the opportunity to become a technician , it's got to be worth a punt.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Hint: they're not.

What would you say to a training partner who felt pathetic for having a bad day?

I've been where you are financially, and it sucks. But at the same time you get to come home to your girlfriend, crying or not. You can't put a price on that.

Anyway, here's some info if your GP is being useless: Can I get free therapy or counselling? - NHS.UK

Here's links to apps and resources for managing your moods and anxiety: Home Page | Digital Apps Library