Define McDojo, Please

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Noodle, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Noodle

Noodle New Member

Please define what you all think of as a McDojo.

Or if you prefer, ...

You know you are in a McDojo when ...

thanks,
    Noodle

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

you leave the class after a few weeks with no skills of any value and having parted with some hard-won cash.
    Again, the following things I consider you can reasonably object to:
    1.Poor training methods
    2.Financial malpractice
    3.Funny business.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Do you want fries with that?;)

5. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

can you make that a large?

6. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

3RD DAN BB at 13 years old or even 16 years old,
    no contact sparring, self promoted 10th dan , self defense's that just do not seem to work if you resist even a little bit, No touch knockouts, claimimg that all techniques will work for all people regardless of size, strength.

I see these as signs of a Mc Dojo.

7. YODA

I once met a guy who was 19 years old - had been training since he was 10 years old - and was a 7th Dan BB in a certain Japanese art that I will not name. He attended a Muay Thai instructor workshop I was at - introducing himself as "Master" and giving anyone daft enough to stand near him long enough a full history of how lethal he was.

All went well until the sparing, where he lasted 2 rounds of LIGHT sparring with a guy with 2 years Muay Thai training before he had to quit due to a combination of exhaustion and humiliation. He never landed a blow. Of course - it was the gloves that got in the way so he couldn't use his deadly skills. Funny how the gloves also sapped him of any shred of physical conditioning and evasion skills.

The place he trained at - THAT was a McDojo.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Dave, you gotta watch out for those gloves mate! ;)

Lethal, endurance drainers that they are, can't use my Syphallis thumb techniques with them on :D

9. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

YODA , You see they were YIN gloves and they were sapping all the YANG out of him, or were they YANG gloves sapping the YIN out of him....... wait it was YIN yeah YIN gloves thats it.

10. YODA

No no I distinctly remember giving him one of each - for balance :p

11. zun

zun New Member

A left and right hook? :p