Defense

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by cuongnhugirl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

I study both, and I also do Xingyiquan (Hsing I Chuan), and Baguazhang so I really don't see your point here ?

2. Lockjaw

My fighting style is more of "blading my body" I really like this description, and feel it's really close to how I train.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You should be aware that blading your body is an entirely different concept than a "side stance." While it makes easy access to the body more difficult it is also giving your jab a leverage advantage and assists in creating power through rotation for your power punches. Blading your body tends become impractical when fighting at a mid-range distance and can be a death trap in clinch fighting.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What?! So all of a sudden you have standards now. I'm disappointed. I used to own some Osirus Skater shoes when I was a kid. They're the shoes I caught heat stroke in while hanging drywall years ago. I never wore them again after that.

5. Lockjaw

I understand what your saying here, and I really don't like limiting myself to one stance or another as I always like to stay on the move, and I use a combination or a blend of hybrid stances to gain the advantage. I really don't like pinning myself to one particular stance as my feet are always moving anyway so I'm never in one stance to long to really have a favorite stance.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm always moving and I use one stance.

I can box, kick, trap, standing grapple and so on all from this one stance.

I'm not sure I''d want to be chopping and changing.

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

In my case it was a real eye closer!!! ;)

8. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

This thread is in the boxing section, as in western boxing. The OP was about how much defensive work boxers do in their workouts. It really does not have anything to do with streetfighting or mma or any other styles.

9. Simon

I've cleaned this thread up and deleted the posts regarding kicking.

As Dave76 said, "this is in the boxing section", so let's keep on topic please.

10. sampla

sampla Valued Member

you deleted ma post about in ring tactics too........

11. Simon

sampla, I've deleted everything that is nonsense and off topic.

If you understand ring tactics then posts something coherant on the subject.

12. sampla

sampla Valued Member

ok....... but was he at least by far talking about side stance in a ring?

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

For the OP - Yes it's a common practice and a good one to do as well. A good trainer will keep you honest during padwork by occasionally swinging a pad at you to remind you to keep your guard up or to work on your evasive skills. It should be a regular part of your training.

As far as boxing from a side stance - it's a terrible idea. You effectively reduce yourself to one half of your weapons as your rear hand is now far off and cannot strike effectively without a serious stance adjustment. The footwork will also be difficult for effectively putting power in your lead side punches as the hip is already turned to the side and thus taken out of the equation in terms of power generation. A good boxer would simply slip to the outside of your lead hand and counter punch the heck out of you with hooks and counter rights. Not to mention you're presenting your liver right to your opponent, might as well put a neon sign on it. It's a ridiculous way to box, plain and simple.

14. sampla

sampla Valued Member

it depends on your level, style of boxing, time you have for the training, stamina, physical resources. if you have a one hour a week for the training, then minimum of the defense. if you are advanced at the attack, then more of the defense. if you are more of an attacker, then less of the defense as well

if you have unlimited time, resources, then as lot as you need to master it