Defense

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by cuongnhugirl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I will happily trade real life experience stories against you if that means a point gains extra validity

Personally I feel an argument should stand on its own. Yours doesn't

Every full contact art - EVERY full contact art - that engages the upper body as a tool o offense uses the squarer stance

You are basically like captain Redbeard Rum

"Opinions are divided... All the other Captains say it is, I say it isn't"

List the best p4p fighters and look at their stances. Other than in transitional moments they never go side on because it is so easy to defeat

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I know how to do it, and I know that if your feet are in line, it's a lot damned harder to do.

15 years of training tells me you're talking rubbish. Either you have a very different definition to the rest of the MA world of what a side stance is, or you don't have sufficient training to realise how badly it limits your ability to move and to throw your most powerful shots.

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

I have been training for over 33 years in karate, and crosstraining in tai chi for 12 years now.

Side stance your feet are not staggered, the feet, hands, and body are always moving from one stance to another never stagnant.

Always harder to hit a opponent that offers a smaller target, and not coming at you square on.

I spar in class from a side stance, and I think if I was doing something wrong I would have had a black eye or broken jaw by now or at least my teacher would look at me like I was crazy for using a side stance.

4. Hannibal

It doesn't matter how long you have been travelling if you are walking in the wrong direction

What style of karate?

Any stance is largely transient anyway to he honest, but side on is asking for smashed legs against anyone with half an ounce of ability

Again, why do you think full contact fighters don't do it?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Okinawan Karate-Do Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu)

Boxers don't have to worry about leg strikes.

Full contact boxers fight from a squared stance because it is conventional, and common method of training, if you come at me squared off I can see whats coming, and anticipate your next move, by me using a side stance that is unconventional, and unusual I can get exceptional results.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Maybe your next move has been pre-programmed by the boxer.

If you'd watched my videos you would have seen me drawing moves out of my opponent.

Like I've said, boxing is a very subtle art and it's difficult to guage how much so without taking a few lessons, or going against a boxer.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

The original "side stance" picture posted would be absolutely ridiculous in a boxing ring. The video "evidence" posted did not use that stance at all, and as soon as the guy started backing up by moving his lead leg back first the video screamed "I learned how to do a little boxing so I'm going to start a Youtube channel now!"

I think "blading your body" is being confused with a "side stance" from Lockjaw. I also laughed a little at:

Professional and good amateur fighters do what works you know. You acknowledge that these athletes do this, but then offer an opinion that claims they are doing it wrong :confused: .

There is a dude that has a TKD background at the gym who stands very much in a "side stance" at my gym, he's not very good in the ring and ends up getting hit, a lot. He can also generate no real power in his punches. In "st33t words" he sucks.

Anyways, with all your "experience" you said you have none in boxing. That alone makes me :roll eyes: with any opinion you may have about boxing. All in all, cool story bro. You can believe and practice what you want. Absolutely nobody can force you to be right . . .

8. holyheadjch

If you've been training for 33 years and never had a black eye, then you're training must be soft as hell, which probably explains why you've never questioned your magic side stance. Why would you when there is no chance of getting hurt.

9. Hannibal

You have absolutely no experience in fighting do you?

10. Ero-Sennin

10$ says Tapout and Affliction (maybe even Silver Star in this case!) is involved in some way! :D

11. Hannibal

I meant to tell you this yesterday, but I was rocking a Tapout T-Shirt, track pants and socks! I went "commando" just so i didn't ruin the overall theme

LIKE A BOSS I TELLS YA!

12. Ero-Sennin

Please tell me you wore sandals with the socks . . . . that would make my day.

13. Hannibal

Sadly no - I probably should seek out some Tapout sneakers one of these days

14. Ero-Sennin

I am not surprised in the least that they are skater shoes. :p

Attached Files:

15. Hannibal

Even I may draw the line at those....

16. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Lockjaw, how do you do head movement in a stance like that, also wouldn't that stance limit your punching to just your lead hand? I can't see throwing a jab,cross combo because your cross would never reach your opponent.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

damn he beat me to it!!

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have a pair of tapout shoes, the logo is tiny though, so it just looks like a regular pair of canvas shoes.

19. ned

ned Valued Member

20. holyheadjch

and how do you generate power for the lead hand from a stance like that?