Defense

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by cuongnhugirl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

How often does your trainer have you work on your defense where you practice slipping and blocking punches, not throwing them?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Every single movement has a defensive element to it.

If you drop your hand after throwing a jab you risk getting a punch in the face. If you just stand in the same position, or just move forward and backwards the same will happen.

It's all about angles and footwork, so that should form a large bulk of any workout.

3. cuongnhugirl

Thats happened to me before. I got hit with a counter jab because my right hand was out of place. When i left jab i like to step off to the right so that if my opponent counters with a right it will miss because im not there anymore.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A bad habit - move hit move or hit move hit

Doing both at the same time breeds bad form vis a vis mechanics

5. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Good defense skills you should not give your opponent a target, never face an opponent with a parallel stance as your squared off, and providing your opponent with a large target to strike.

Think about movement, and never be in one place to long, use footwork, pivoting, and dropping your center of gravity making you a smaller, and harder to hit target.

Use a side stance against an opponent putting your strong hand/foot forward to offer a smaller target.

Do this
    [​IMG]

Don't do this
    [​IMG]

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

:Aegis:
    Nonsense - it's horses for courses. A side stance as you suggest is stupid in boxing and crap all use in grappling.

As an aside, the one on the bottom pic will 9/10 times annihilate the one on the top

7. cuongnhugirl

The bottom is how i do it except i keep a higher guard.

8. Simon

Lockjaw, keep in mind this is in the boxing forum.

No boxer would stand in a stance as you suggest.

9. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Same here, as a south paw who when facing orthodox fighters prefers to rotate to the other fighters blind side and (as a result of the Southpaw-Orthodox dynamic) has to use his left cross for all sorts of things from range finding to delivering power-shots. I find that turning side on reduces both my offensive and defensive "countering" abilities.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. Lockjaw

Sorry, but I must disagree, because a fright train coming straight at you is much easier to hit, than an opponent using a side stance, and bouncing, and moving everywhere offering you no solid target.

11. Lockjaw

I understand this is the boxing section of the forum, and I have seen boxers using a side stance leading with their strong hand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gGN4yFAeNAs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gGN4yFAeNAs[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. Simon

I disagree.

Boxing is a very subtle art and someone coming in like a feight train is not a well trained boxer.

Even someone like Tyson, who appeared to be a bull, was an excellent and skillfull boxer with excellent balance, timing, range, footwork, use of angles and so on.

Tyson was very much the square on boxer.

13. Simon

I have to doubt they were side on as this would make their rear hand, the power shot, completely redundant.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

yeah, every half way decent boxer...ever, has been doing it wrong all these years. Thank God you've finally pointed out the error of their ways.

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I find that kind of side-on stance crazy. You're practically presenting your spine, back of head and back of legs - all of which are very hard to defend.

16. Simon

This is one of my defensive videos.

Note how square on I am. This is a regular boxing stance.

I don't see how it makes me easier to hit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXccWkxmd8"]Attack By Drawing - YouTube[/ame]

17. Lockjaw

As far as I know in boxing the spine, and back of the head strikes are off limits, and unless your MMA fighting you don't have to worry about the legs.

I have never fought a pro or amateur boxer, but most street fighters use a boxing stance, and I have never lost using a side stance against them.

Use the stance that works for you, and what your trying to accomplish if boxing in a ring or in the street, one may work one place, but not the other so you need to be able to adjust to the situation at hand.

18. Simon

Most street fighters aren't boxers.

Spar a boxer, it's a real eye opener.

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Turning your back on your opponent is off limits too and a side on stance means you can't step to your inside without turning your back.
    That much is clear
    Most 'street fighters' (ugh, those words), don't use any stance at all.

Let's not get into your street fighting record, because this aint a Twilight fan-fic board.
    The 'use the approach that works for you' cop out is just that - a cop out. It wont work in boxing, it sure as hell wouldn't work in Muay Thai and it's not an optimum stance for a trained fighter in any self defence scenario I can think of. Any stance that tangles up your rear hand and inhibits your movement (which a side stance does) is going to get you whipped in any context with the possible exception of a kata tournament.

20. Lockjaw

I guess you don't know how to side, cross or circle step with out trurning your back.

I take offence at this remark an see this as flaming, as I was not speaking of some sci-fi drama, but real world experience.

It really don't mater if you like the side stance or not as it has worked for me, and I accept all criticism on my views as such.

Stand square right in front of your opponent, don't move and become stagnant, and you will get hit.