Defence against being seized by the clavicle.

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by shotokanwarrior, Oct 12, 2004.

1. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I thought that grabbing an opponent by the clavicle was just a myth until I found out that it's forbidden in some disciplines. It sounds like a really vicious thing to do to someone, so I thought I should find out if any style has a standard response to it. Do the usual defences against seizing attacks work? Can you get someone in a lock if he has you by the clavicle?

2. kcatcher

kcatcher Banned Banned

Wear relatively thick clothing?

Punch, headbutt, bite, eye-fan, shredder until they let go.In fact, you could turn towards the grip and bite their arm.

3. shotokanwarrior

Eye fans...what are they?

4. kcatcher

kcatcher Banned Banned

I mean 'Finger fan' attacks. Basically, fan your fingers laterally across the eye(s) to lacerate them. This is quicker, more reliable, less skill-reliant (good thing) etc than thrusting actions and requires no significant weight transfer.

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

There's a huge nerve nexus behind the clavicle and if you've been got there, you will probably be already on the floor in too much pain to do anything but yell.

However, you can dislodge a hand from there by: -
    1. Folding one of your arms in and grabbing the attacker's wrist from above. This leaves your elbow somewhat in front of you.
    2a. Holding firmly, twist your stance in the direction which brings that elbow into contact (=whack!) with the attacker's bicep. Use pressure on his wrist to lever that elbow into his bicep.
    2b. Your other hand can aid in this release phase by pushing directly against the attacker's fingers.

I've only taken the case of a frontal attack and assumed the attacker's elbow wasn't susceptible to a hyperextending break. This frontal method works for either side attacking against either side and either side repsonding to it.

Rgds,
    David

6. kcatcher

kcatcher Banned Banned

Only thing I'd add is that I very much doubt that this is an attack you're likely to face for real.

7. shotokanwarrior

where is it...i can't feel it.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Eyes, go for the eyes.

9. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

uh, maybe I don't know what a clavicle is... :eek: I thought it was the collar-bone...:confused:

10. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

There is a nerve cluster behind the clavicle - but some people just aren't that suscebtable to this attack. In my experience (of having it done to me) it can drop you to your knees but it's not that effective in a high adrenaline situation, like a fight (you just don't feel it the same). It's most useful for putting your friend to the ground in a friendly way because he won't give you the remote or something like that, or torturing someone you already have restrained. The clavicle can be a target for tiger style attacks - smash it, then grab (ouch!) - which is much more worrying. Best defense? As he/she goes to grab it - if your not under their control/restrained - break them.

11. redsandpalm

You're right :) . It just doesn't work for some people though?

12. redsandpalm

Sorry, just realised that this is the women's SD forum so it's worth noting that this move (imhe) is especially useless on girls/women.