decision

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jager, Jan 8, 2011.

1. jager

jager Valued Member

I have been looking for a new martial at to take up, i have been doing a form of MMA but now want to take up a traditional art. I have narrowed it down to either Jeet Kun Do or KUK SOOL WAN, both are a sort of MMA as they incorporate other styles, can you please help with the pro's and con's of each style.

Thank you for your help

2. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Can't really comment on either KSW or JKD, but i'm curious... What exactly do you mean by "a form of" MMA?

3. french fri25

french fri25 Valued Member

if you want a traditional martial art and are considering jeet kune do, your looking in the wrong place...

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yeah,JKD referred to as a TMA- I was thinkin' Bruce'd be spinnin' in his grave!

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Give the guy a break, its confusing enough even for experienced martial artists to navigate the complex names and descriptions of the different arts! I don't know anything about KSW but considering the many arts that influenced Bruce's training, WC, boxing, fencing, karate, wrestling, judo etc etc its not that inaccurate to call JKD a mixed martial art, even if that is different from the sport of MMA.

In terms of your question OP, JKD classes vary massively so its impossible to list pros and cons. Post a link to where you're thinking of training and chances are someone on here will have something good or bad to say about it, possibly even personal experience.

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

:topic: some of us would argue he'd be spinning if it was described as a MA :eek:

7. jager

jager Valued Member

Thanks for the replies, i only called them MMA as they do mix different styles. The ype of MMA i have been doing is mainly based upon Geoff Thompsons ideas.I wanted to do something that was classed as an art as well as self defence, I need something to keep my interest so something like boxing or Muy Thai (although very good) would not keep my interest. I was also looking at Jiu Jitsu.

8. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Would be wary of KSW, I've found the training to be awfully sub-par.

Where are you from exactly?

9. jager

jager Valued Member

i am from Liverpool, England.There are classes in Widnes which isn't far

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The pinnacle of UK MMA. Missing an opportunity

11. jager

jager Valued Member

wrexam is alittle to far or are you talking about wolfslair, been there and enjoyed it, but found the teaching and training styles were not for me, Kaobon is closer and have thought of trying there

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Nah it was the Liverpool clubs but if you don't like you don't like. Widnes though?