Decent Kumite tips?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Sep 12, 2006.

1. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Yeah, I agree with Peter, breathing is a big issue, it's what saves you from getting winded or not, hehe.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

It should definitely be one of the first things you learn about when you start karate. God knows how many kekomis I've saved myself from by knowing when to breathe out!

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Definitely! I think it becomes such "second nature" to many instructors that they forget it's something you need to actually tell people to do.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yeah, unless you get some karate-kas whose kiais are slightly worse than that of an asthmatic ant...

5. mega zuki

mega zuki Valued Member

simple yet effective

throw an inverted roundhouse kick landing you leg on top of their arms and pushing their guard down, then simply strike with a straight punch to the face or chest depending on whatever the rules allow.

6. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

as far as getting winded when you get struck on an in-breath - practice sanchin - keep your abs and diaphram tense and tight throught breathing (in and out) - imagine your lungs expanding downwards into your gut rather than expanding your chest outwards as you breathe - it takes time, but you should be able to then breath and move naturally, whilst maintaing a solid level of protection

7. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Crash in, catching inverted roundhouse kick by jamming it, use a stong foot sweep to the supporting leg to encourage a downward motion! :D :D :D

8. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Very true, but difficult to master and apply under the pressure of sparring. Try to breathe naturally, but never fully. A hit against a half filled body is less damaging and painful that against a full one. Also, try to breathe quietly, even why tired.

The flip side of this is to breathe aloud and you set a rhythm for their breathing. Once they are in time, change yours and then hit as the opponent is breathing in. :D I'd suggest trying this against less experienced people at first.

Good luck and happy breathing

Peter

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I used to train with a guy who practiced a similar trick with his body movement. He'd gently bounce up and down on the ball of his feet and lull you into falling in step with him, then he'd drop out of rhythm and hit you while you were "up".

10. Peter

Peter Valued Member

I experienced a similar trick. The guy would let you crash him into a wall and then spring off it at high speed with gyaku zuki. Worked almost every time on so many people...until we learned to spin him around, then throw him back into the wall. He stopped using it after that.

What I've found, after 33 years of martial arts (and at the age of 46) is that the "sneaky" moves are now far more appealing! :D

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Most of the main tips have been brought up so far. Keep moving, keep out the persons way, take the openings. Distraction/fients can be rather nice too if the person isa little jumpy

12. mega zuki

mega zuki Valued Member

peter,
    I don't think you would like trying to catch or jam my inverted roundhouse kick, but i do think watching you try would be worth 3 smiles of my own. :D :D :D j/k

that move was a proven point getter by one of my best friends for years in tournaments, but is kind of like a trick play in football, it's better tried just once a game if you know what I mean.

13. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

That's why I don't bounce around when I'm fighting!

14. Peter

Peter Valued Member

:D :D :D I was caught with that move almost 30 years ago, and spend nearly a decade perfecting a defence. I am fine with that ability!!! :D :D :D

Yeah, some moves may only work once but when they do, it is priceless. I used to used a "Rolling Hill Kick" (Forward rolling Axe kick). Very suicidal, but can work wonders. If it goes wrong, the fight is over!

Keep on training hard in pursuit of excellence.

Best regards

Peter

15. theviper

theviper Valued Member

i have used these 2 in tournaments before to good effect

1 go for a low roundhouse to the leg and as your opponent goes to block switch the kick to middle or head level 90% of the time you will score the point

2 this one you do from your ready stance let your opponent lunge and step back then let them do it again and let them do it one more time but after the opponent lunges forward step in with a reverse punch and that is about 95% score rate

Pete