Dealing with cuts on hands

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pitfighter, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I have been working the heavy bag at my gym but I always gotta cut my punching time down when I scrap my hands.

I hit the heavy bags bare knuckle cuz I prefer it and when I do finally join an MMA gym (hopefully in less than 3 months) I think training bare knuckle will be better than training with boxing gloves. (Believe it or not I can't afford MMA gloves right now). Besides hitting stuff bareknuckle has the slight added benefit of getting used to punching bareknuckle in self-defence.

So in the meantime what can I do to keep the skin from my hands from getting scraped off?

2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Wraps, or just deal with it.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Buy some freakin gloves.

4. prowla

prowla Valued Member

You could try and land your punches square, rather than glancing blows.

Ewiesner likes this.
  5. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I usually do the same when wearing fingerless gloves. Seems to be caused by hooks mostly. A bit of Savlon and it's prety much healed by the next session. Toughens up a little too.

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Wraps/Gloves for the same reason boxers don't train full contact all the time.

7. path_one

path_one steps taken

when the same thing happens to me or when I lose skin due to blisters I use red flower oil which works a treat

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hitting a gym bag bareknuckle is not a good idea. Bag could have all sorts of bugs on it. You should at least get some antiseptic liquid for your hands and apply it right after training. The last thing you want is to get some sort of staph infection. Best to get some gloves.

Ewiesner likes this.
  9. Davidle1

Davidle1 Valued Member

Iam with the last poster. You do not want staph for sure...say hello

flesh eating disease. You can get a decent pair of gloves for $60.00. The

gloves will last for a long time and honestly a lot of the insturctors in a dojo

will tell you to put your gloves on before going to the bags. I have on some

occassions mostly out of being lazy not put my gloves on and cut my hands

up when that happened....I went for the not so nice splashing in alchol

treatment. Mostly the cuts are annoying more then anything else....but yeah

spend the bucks on the gloves your going to need them anyway.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

ebay mate you can get gloves for a tenner in some cases. i got my knuckle infected (quite minor luckily) and have used gloves since. other than getting some nice scars to show off ("there were 12 of them yeah"....) there really isn't much bonus to bare knuckle

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  11. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Actually, I would say that you should use gloves because they protect your knuckles, fingers and wrists. It's fine to condition your knuckles but in a "street fight" you shouldn't be hitting hard places with hard attacks. It should be soft attacks (like the palm strike or knife hand) against hard surfaces (like the jaw, side of the head, arm) and hard strikes against soft areas (such as the stomach, neck, kidneys).

At least that's what I've been taught.

12. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea get some gloves dude other wise ur probably gonna keep getting cut and get infected with something like the other said, and if ur training to do mma they wear gloves anyways so i dont know why u think that training without gloves would be better for that and if u get mma gloves and not huge boxing gloves then u still get the practice and hitting square and keeping ur wrist straight like u need for self defense and punching without gloves but u wont cut ur knuckles up.

13. sozcaps

sozcaps Valued Member

I'd recommend just doing bareknuckled pushups for conditioning your hands.

You don't get much out of doing it bareknuckle, especially if you don't allow your hands to heal between sessions. Lotion with glycerine is good for repairing the skin.