deadlift alternatives

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dehitay, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dehitay

Dehitay Valued Member

I currently no longer have access to a gym. I used to do deadlifts to strengthen my back and forearms, but with a barbell, that isn't possible anymore. All the other exercises I care about can be done with bodyweight exercises, but I can't think of a way to reproduce the effects of deadlifts. I have those squeezing devices which can work out my forearms, but is there any really good way to strengthen my back? I know there's a bunch of kicking and reaching exercises from all fours, but that takes about 100 repetitions before I can even feel anything.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

For your grip training you can do squeezes like you say, you can do pinch grip training, you can hang from a chin up bar for time, get some weights and do wrist roller work. For your back there are several 'core' exercises that will work it. Try things such as, hyperextensions, ab wheel rollouts, glute-ham raises, pull ups and hanging leg raises

3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

4. Frodocious

I thought I'd put them in - D'oh! :)

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Valued Member

You could do isometric deadlifts. Just need a chain/rope that has handles on each end--stand on the chain and have at it. Rig it so that you can vary the length of the chain, and you could probably get a pretty thorough deadlift workout.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  6. Dehitay

Dehitay Valued Member

I didn't realize planks worked out your back, but now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

I was going to ask "What if you end up lifting your feet off the floor?" but then I realized hovering would be cool as hell.

7. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

had to read yours twice to make sure you hadn't!!! I was all ready to just put +1 until I noticed that it wasn't in there!! :)

Hold a plank position for 1 minute...you will KNOW it works your back after that!! :)

8. Frodocious

That's what happens when I try to post and do the day job at the same time - I end up missing important points. Obviously I need to sort my priorities out, quit work and spend all my time on here waiting for important questions that I can help answer! ;) :)

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Single leg deadlifts, squats, single leg squats, isometric bridges, plus pick up some info on pilates, they have a shed load of good, functional back exercises.

or www.crossfit.com

10. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

I assume you're talking about the effect of heavy barbell deadlifts. Unfortunately there is no alternative unless you can find another way to accurately weight a balanced object and pick it up off the ground.

For the reason given above, no. As for your grip training, I hope you're not training on anything you can close for more than a few reps.

11. dope540

dope540 Valued Member

could try one legged deadlifts. bodyweightculture.com has some vids on it.

tnation also has an article on alternatives to conventional training. i think the article is called 'joint friendly' training. the exercise is called 'one legged hip lift' i think.

you basically lie on your back with one foot elevated and the other tucked up towards your chest. then squeeze your hamstrings and glutes to bring your hips up.

my favourite has to be the glute ham raise. just use a training partner or someone to hold your ankles down whilst you do the exercise.

12. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

I'm going to agree with welsh warrior. None of the exercises mentioned will produce the same effect as a barbell deadlift. Also, anybody with a decent amount of core strength won't be affected by doing a plank for 1 minute.

Performing slow, controlled pull-ups (..with proper form) coupled with dumbbell rows/dumbbell deadlifts is your best bet.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Why don't you buy a set of weights? They'll last forever if you got the room for it.

If you dead broke do back extensions to target the lower back.

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Make a weighted bag, powerbag whatever you want to call it and use that.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Bingo. Drop 20-30 bucks and get a duffel bag at an Army-Navy store, then buy a bunch of play sand and throw it in there. A heavy sandbag will do wonders for your lower back.