De Cuerdas

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Feb 22, 2005.

1. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

a comparison to what i thought de cuerdas was. i agree with what you said about the blocking structure. that type of blocking is used to load your hips for your counter.

2. sercuerdasfight

guro john,
    checked out your website, good job i like the clips on the home page.

rob

3. bart

bart New Member

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say it looks like Balintawak? I get that they're using single sticks and standing in a lead leg stance, but what exactly led you to believe that? Also what type of Balintawak? Teovel? Atillo? Maranga? Taboada? Others? How can you tell?

4. sercuerdasfight

bart,

keep in mind i know very little of balintawak, but it was more of the way they were monitoring the stick hand with there hand as the were blocking. that looked like the balintawak pics i have seen in books. also the american school link they have said the gm trained from bacon. i may have jumped to a conclusion.

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Ah you see, just because you see them predominently use sticks, does not mean they don't use blade. That's like saying styles like Doce Pares are only stick arts. Many would beg to differ.

But I have also found over the years that you may come across the same teminology in different styles and think Ah yes I know this, then when you see it, it is totally different. Same meaning verbally, different translation physically.

Regards

Pat

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh yeah? Whereabouts are you then? (PM me if you like. I'll get you some contact information.)

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey John, you're in Baltimore yeah? These teachers mentioned that they teach some of the time in Pasadena, Maryland. Not half an hour from you.

As far as the de cuerdas principle, I think I know what you mean. There were some pretty good examples of it from the videos on your site. The enganyo in particular, yeah?

Stuart

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Bart,

The email on that website matches the one on the flyer they gave me. I guess it's the same bunch. Interesting. Thanks!

Stuart

9. John J

John J Valued Member

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Apolo's Karate. EDIT: I'm unclear, though, the degree to which they actually teach there. They may just be there in connection with an upcoming tournament organized by Apolo, in which there's a stickfighting division. As you know, I expect, Apolo's brother Bobby is the kali teacher there.

(Apolo used to be one of my taekwondo teachers back in the day.)

I trained with the Patalinghugs at the Kick Connection for about 6 years. About 10 years ago now.

Stuart

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  11. sercuerdasfight

hey guys,

i just called the guy from the flyer, it is not dizon's de ceurdas but a seperate group. their gm trained with bacon. the guy seemed pretty cool though and if you're in the area i would check them out.

rob

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

They've invited me to train with them. With my current schedule, I don't know how often I'll get to do that. But I'll sneak in the occassional session I expect. (Or rather, hope)

13. grifter1358

grifter1358 New Member

Dizon

I had this conversation years ago with my teacher, Professor Sultan Uddin. Being the late Grandmaster Angel Cabales' protege, Professor Uddin knew a lot about Angel's teacher, Grandmaster Felicissimo Dizon.

Decuerdas is not a style that can be taught, much like a curriculum, but is a whole system that includes physical and metaphysical aspects. It is more like a way of life and knows no exact style. The late Tatang Illustrisimo was a Decuerdas masters, much like Felicissimo Dizon, Tatang's contemporary.

This is much different than the late Grandmaster Gilbert Tenio's Decuerdas.

Just my two cents.

Guro Bob Manalo, Jr.

14. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

"late Grandmaster Angel Cabales' protege" ??? :confused:

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the bakbakan brotherhood. now if you're close to where they train, go for it!

16. Karn Evel

Karn Evel New Member

Hello Guro Manalo,

Sorry to intrude on this discussion, but did your teacher Prof. Sultan Uddin ever go by the name of Kimball Joyce? A very good friend (and escrimador) on the West Coast told me that this Kimball Joyce was one of the greatest escrimadors he had ever seen. I have another friend who attended a seminar in Georgia (?) some years back where Mr. Joyce was a guest instructor - and he also said tremendous things about him. I seem to remember someone telling me that he had taken a muslim name.

Are we talking about the same individual? Does he do any public teaching? Seminars?

Thanks!
    KE

17. grifter1358

grifter1358 New Member

Sultan Uddin

Yes, Kimball Joyce was the former name of my teacher, Professor Sultan Uddin. Even when I first started learning Serrada, he was really emphasizing his Muslim name. He won't answer to his old name, and actually finds it disrespectful for people to refer to him as such.

He's actually in the South right now doing a seminar, speaking of Georgia.

Thanks for asking.

Salamat,

Guro Bob Manalo, Jr.

18. grifter1358

grifter1358 New Member

Grandmaster Angel Cabales protege

TSEFREEFLOW,

Yes, protege. Is there a problem with that?

Guro Bob Manalo, Jr.

19. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Nah, just never heard that before. It just seems everyone says or claims that :rolleyes:. Calm down there speed racer, no reason to get your panties in a bunch!!

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How about everyone settling down a bit. It's easy to get wrapped up in our thing. But I see no reason here for anyone to get their tail feathers ruffled. Dig?