DDP Yoga? Anyone check this out?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combat Sports, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Someone was talking about this guy earlier and I was curious what you guys thought about what worked for him.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc"]Arthur's Transformation (Extended Cut) - Never, Ever Give Up!! - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's an inspiring story of a man who didn't give up.

Your own training is the same and I tell my beginners that days turn into weeks, weeks into months and months into years.

The key is repetition and regular attendance, not training like a nutcase for 6 weeks and burning out.

You've chosen an instructor, so listen, practice, do your own research and again, attend regularly.

There is no "I can't do it", just "I can't do it yet".

You have no-one to beat, only yourself, and the only comparison you should be making is the you of tomorrow against the you of today.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Can't see the link (due to work) I assume this is Diamond Dallas Page (former WWE)

Apparently its supposed to be really good and has been going on for a while.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

DDP has had exceptional results with Jake Roberts and Scott Hall and Chris Jericho says he rarely uses anything else to work out with. It's something I would probably check out in the near future myself

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yoga is awesome, so anything that makes it seem more 'manly' can only be a good thing.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I was incredibly sick (the "am I going to live another few years" kind) and very out of shape recently and after a couple of hot yoga sessions I was sleeping deeper and my neck, back, knees, and ankles felt 10-15 years younger. It was like a deep tissue fatigue (think long, gentle swim in a hot pool) instead of a traditional soreness post workout. What I particularly loved about it is that I didn't feel vulnerable and less mobile like I do when I use conventional weights and exercise to muscle failure, yet I was building strength and flexibility in what feels like a more functional way than other forms of exercise I enjoy. Hands down it was the single best, most ergonomic workout I've ever experienced, and I've been a lifelong athlete who has studied and played almost every American sport imaginable and I'm a former strength trainee who has learned under several respected bodybuilders. Post workout I would experience muscle fatigue in small very deep muscles/tissues I have never otherwise felt fatigue/soreness in even with conventional weight training, exercises, and running. Several of my yoga classmates where retirees or had previously sustained (or been born with) serious spinal injuries and Bikram yoga was the only thing keeping them consistently upright. I'm confident they had tried several other forms of exercise before settling on yoga and deciding to make it a lifelong pursuit. I instantly recognized that I always wanted yoga in my life after those first few sessions. Even the stress relief angle is superior to all other forms of exercise I've ever experienced. The heat, sweat, inversion, and active meditation for 90 minutes does wonders for all the stress you accumulate on your days off. It's not unlike receiving a workout and a massage simultaneously.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

DDP yoga seems more akin to a "Dynamic Tension" deal as much as actual yoga...there is a lot if moving and flexing involved

8. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

There are schools of yoga that focus heavily on movement.

Is this a good example of Dynamic Tension? (Courtney can teach me whatever she wants to teach me and I'll listen.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8puLeWDDuDI"]Dynamic Tension Exercise for Biceps : Staying Fit & Strong - YouTube[/ame]

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I have severe chronic pain in my left leg, but watching this video was inspired me to start exercising again. I've gained allot of weight since I wasn't able to do Boxing properly anymore, and with moving house, there are no local clubs where I live.

But If I wan't to become relatively pain free, I need to exercise and work the neurological connections in my leg. Maybe I can do this too. Its worth a try.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No, that's isometric training. I associate dynamic tension more with movements where the resistance is provided by the antagonist muscles.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yoga is phenomenal! Even though people are more aware of the benefits these days and less negative about yoga, until you actually do it...you don't understand how effective it is.

Even after a weekend beginner's course (4 hrs x 2 or so), I was sleeping better, more relaxed, had no back, neck, shoulder or ankle pains. To be honest, I felt totally different when I left the "club" after the first session. I felt "lighter" and looser. It was kinda weird, in a good way though.

I can't recommend yoga enough. But like everything, you need to find a decent school and teacher. I think you need to research the various styles and find one that suits your aims too.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

We're enrolling one of our son's in Drishti Yoga in the next few days. He's suffered severe OCD/anxiety/ADHD for years.

We're fed up with the dangerous drugs that require other dangerous drugs to hedge the side-effects with.

Boxing and MA has helped a great deal but he needs to go deeper. He's always been such an incredibly intense person - just the idea of quelling the racing thought patterns have been an anathema to him - which was the clue as to where the answer lies.

No expectations of a majic potion here, just hope that the yogis can teach him how to let go.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think any kind of meditation practice will help OCD. Not "cure" it, but take the edge off...the voice of experience there.

Only users lose drugs! ;)

Oh! Good luck to your son! Hope it helps.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013