DBMA Beastings

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Freeform, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Some footage from the DBMA European Summer camp. These were 'inductions' for new DBMA Group Leaders. Bare in mind that these aren't 'fights', but 'Beastings'.

Enjoy! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6E8eyGhsAo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUSA_l2D2hT33g8-wNZ-fsog"]Bettina's "Beasting" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrIp5se1lE&list=UUSA_l2D2hT33g8-wNZ-fsog"]Rodolfo's "Beasting" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbSrRRJu6A&list=UUSA_l2D2hT33g8-wNZ-fsog"]Kai's "Beasting" - YouTube[/ame]

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's the same term I've been using for our staff meetings. But I guess this looks a little more grueling.

Is this a process you've been through, Freeform? Are there a lot of group leaders in DBMA?

As I understand, in a regular match, the two participants have to agree on the weapons involved. Yeah? Is that true of beastings as well? Or does the next beast get to bring whatever s/he likes into the match?

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

4. Freeform

Stuart, it was a UK tradition started by Yoda. Anyone becoming an instructor under his Combative Alliance had to be beasted (he most likely got the idea from Marc McFann who does a similar thing and who was one of Dave's instructors).

When I became a CA affiliate under Scotty Dog I had to fight every second fight (DB style with a fresh guy) for about two and a half hours. Then Scotty and I became DBMA GLs. (At this point I have to add that Scotty did an hour straight for his).

When Celtic Dog and Psycho Bitch became GLs we (the UK groups) did similar initiations for them.

When Dog Chris and Dog Dave in Bristol became GLs we had every GL in the room fight them every minute for 12 rounds, and that's where the current format was decided.

When Guro Marc ascended me to Guro last year, the UK guys and Guro Benjamin decided that I needed another beasting (as a present of course ;) ) and I fought 19 rounds against 6 opponents.

In the UK we never saw it as a 'choice'.

At camp this year, newly ascended GL Rudolpho 'Fraggle Dog' of Spain requested a beasting (he'd heard about ours). So we opened it up as a 'by request', as in DBMA there is no requirement to fight to become a group leader. Two other GLs requested a beasting and a new tradition was created (all this was decided around a campfire whilst eating wurst and drinking a few biers/whiskys ;) ).

Benjamin also opted to undertake a beasting, so I hope we get to see his (though his felt more like a reverse beasting in that the beasts were the ones being beaten! ).

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

We used to call it Blackjack!

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

"Reverse beasting"

That's terrific. :)

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Breasting for want of another word has always been part of my grading process for instructors it was also introduced to the British stick fighting team training in late 80's early 90's.

So maybe it is a British thing.

8. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Eh? Breasting? What's that like? Although, it makes me kinda envious of your school : )

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

It's like beasting only better. Lol. Dam iPhone spell checker.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Also, if you could just drop the 's' from beasting, that would be great! :p

11. Freeform

Guro Lonely's beasting

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qT2TNY5Sw&list=UUSA_l2D2hT33g8-wNZ-fsog"]Lonely's "Beasting" - YouTube[/ame]

Or the 'reverse beasting'!

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I feel sorry for the (reverse) beasts!

Are there any breaks between rounds? He didn't even look that tired in the last round...

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Nice! looks like a blast.

Osu!

Dan93