David vs Goliath Sling vs Watermelon

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Camo-sling, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Camo-sling

Camo-sling New Member

Hello!

The sling is most known from the biblical story of David vs Goliath, however, not much is known about the destructive power of the weapon. For a little bit of fun I pit the sling against two of the biggest watermelons I could find!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT4h9mNEhvs"]SLING vs WATERMELON (Balearic Sling/Slingshot/Ancient Weapon) - YouTube[/ame]

Hope you enjoyed the video!

Thanks,

Nick.

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Interesting video, but you had a lot of misses, and near-misses, maybe this is why David could take out Goliath because he was such a huge target.

What happens if your target is moving, and you miss, I'm sure the target would not wait for you to reload to try again.

There was a throw where the rock ricocheted off the log, and went into the lake at light speed, what would you have done if that ricocheted back at you, seems dangerous just for something to eat.

3. Camo-sling

Camo-sling New Member

Lockjaw, I don't hesitate to say that the sling is indefinitely one of the most if not the most hardest weapons to master. It's difficult to imagine David hitting Goliath but it is certainly possible. Here is a link to a video where I consistently hit my target - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV3MFmiDVcA"]YouTube[/ame]

Many weapons are hard to hit moving targets with, the sling is just another. Luckily I don't use the sling to provide myself with food, however, in some parts of the world people certainly do.

It's like anything, there's danger using weapons. Hell, even people shooting 50 cal rifles have been hit with ricochets. You don't use a weapon if you aren't willing to pay the possible consequences.

Thanks for your comment Lockjaw :)

4. Camo-sling

Camo-sling New Member

Double Post..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That's pretty cool.

We can't verify the whole David vs. Goliath story, but IIRC slings were most often used for mass volleys like a medieval longbow. One slinger is a danger, but a regiment of them is terrifying... imagine the sound of all those slings winding up, knowing that a hail of stones is about to rain down on you and crush your skull.

-Mark

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If you want to eat, you learn how to trap and fish.

The sling is a fun way to open a coconut though :)

7. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Just don't cry over spilled milk :D

8. Camo-sling

Camo-sling New Member

Mark, you certainly remember correctly! The sling was commonly used in huge volleys similar to volleys of arrows. However, volleys of arrows were very visible flying through the air and were effective for breaking up lines of soldiers or separating units. Lead sling bullet volleys are next to impossible to see and could instill fear into soldiers as they never know when a bullet could hit them!

9. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

David is a shepherd, not a hunter. His sling is for encouraging wolves to go eat someone else's sheep.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I wasn't talking about him, just making the point that I wouldn't want to rely on a sling to feed myself - not a good output/input energy ratio.