Daughter Off To College

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by 47MartialMan, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kimlyno

kimlyno New Member

Hmmm...can you define what is personal?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Self defense consists of 5% hand to hand techniques, 5% weapon techniques and 90% posturing on the internet and talking about the mean streets and the roving ninja brigades that rule over it. May I interest anyone in a street sword?

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You don't. If you are ambushed unexpectedly by weapon-resistant, PCP-snorting frat-boys, then you lose, because there's nothing that you or I or anyone else can do about it. That's why people ambush, because it gives the attacker the advantage.

Luckily, the vast majority of people at university are there to study and have fun, not to arrange guerrilla-style murders of innocent women.

So, it makes more sense to prepare the OP's daughter for the kind of trouble she is more likely to face, and that'll generally be related to booze and drugs, not violence. For a smaller person (and I'm assuming that a teenage girl will generally be the smaller party), avoidance is infinitely more advantageous and infinitely more achievable than winning a fight.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Agree with most people that the best protection is social connectedness. Turning this into a semantic discussion of the word "martial" misses the point by a wide margin. We aren't talking about martial artists. We're not talking about fighters. We're talking about students who want to go about their daily business safely. Do we really want higher education settings where everyone is walking around strapped? Having worked on one for about 7 years now, my answer is a resounding "no."

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Before I get into the precise nuances and issues with this ridiculous "ninja behind every corner outlook" might one inquire as to what your qualifications actually are?

6. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Valued Member

One survives an ambush by changing one's circumstances...hmm...sound a bit like "not being at the frat party where they can drug you?" Or going to the party with friends and have each others' backs?

Protection involves prevention first.

7. MI_martialist

My understanding is that this was started by someone on the forum who has apparently instructed his daughter, but thought a weapon was a waste of money.

What do you mean by "strapped"?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think you're correct about that. But your argument is at least partially based on the word "martial." You keep bringing that up. My point is that the student in question isn't walking around campus claiming to be a martialist. She's presumably walking around campus wanting to attend some classes, some parties, some student activities, and various other things that constitute being a college student.

Armed. That is what we're talking about, isn't it?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Bizarro America world...in about 11 years I'll be dropping my daughter off at Uni with some kitchenware, bedding, a peck on the cheek and a cuddle before I drive off gently sniffling and wiping tears from my eyes.

Or a glock...maybe a glock.

10. MI_martialist

I am not saying that the daughter is walking around claiming to be a martialist, but a martial arts instructor asked the question, and that is where martial comes in.

What is wrong with being armed?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You mean apart from the fact in many places it is illegal?

Also please address this

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I have three young children. My oldest will be attending college in about 7 years. And when she gets there, I'd like fewer weapons on the scene. Not more. We have this bizarre relationship with weaponry here in the States. It stems from this Wild West, man apart image we love to embrace. "Here I am. Just try something."

So we're already talking about an environment that exerts an unbelievable amount of financial, social, intellectual, hormonal, and "chemically enhanced" pressure on people. And then we want to go ahead and give everyone weapons to boot?

Do we seriously want that for our kids? It's not the OK Corral. It's a college. I'm not naive. I know that things happen at colleges. I've seen the aftermath. But pulling knives and guns and extendible batons on one another really doesn't sound like an answer.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Exactly. You're making my argument: that prevention, sensible behaviour and self-confidence are the best protection, not your argument: that weapons and extreme violence are the best solution in the deadly surroundings of college.

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I can safely say that when I was looking at universities to apply to the ones where I felt like I would be so much at risk I'd quite like to carry a weapon would have got scratched off my list very quickly.

Where the balls is she going to college that that's even a concern? She'll get drunk, she'll experiment with various things, if she's got some form of sensible head on her she'll be aware where the limits are and won't go mental. Common sense is really the only defence you need for college life. The ones where common sense can't help you having a weapon on you isn't going to help you either.

There is such a culture/mentality jump to be concerned about a weapon for your kid going to uni that I cannot wrap my head around it.

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My oldest is in college, so I have some "skin in the game," as the saying goes. The answer to your question is in the context of your question. We're talking about school. A school where my son/daughter -- or any son/daughter for that matter -- is so fearful that he or she needs to carry a weapon for peace of mind, is NOT a learning environment. Full stop. That child ought not be at that college. Pick a different college.

16. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I have had 2 of my children finish uni and the 3rd one is half way through. The only time any violence occurred was when 2 groups of drunk students came out of the uni pub at the same time and my daughter's boyfriend dropped his phone as the 2 groups of student athletes jostled (think it was grass hockey v rugby league, both being splattered and overly high on testosterone).

As has been mentioned, the common sense that parents pass on to their kids is one of the is one of the greatest forms of self defence. Stay with people that are trustworthy. Don't go to unfamiliar places alone. Be careful where you are and when. These are things are just as important most people as they are for students.

Just sayin'

LFD

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Plenty.

Think ethics, think aftermath, legal repercussions, mentality, ability, skill set, force continuum, accessibility and environmental factors.

If you haven't begun to consider the whole spectrum of issues that comes with carrying a weapon then you should probably leave them well alone.

18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Don't carry weapon comrade. Buy her tank. In Soviet Russia weapon carries you!

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Some of the comments are great xD

Pepper spray keychain, lipstick taser (my mom has one of these, they exist), a pot and pan to bang really loudly? Maybe a rape whistle (or just a really loud whistle, which is what most people call rape whistles I think).

Running shoes would probably be helpful.

A +50 dexterity tunic would probably help her get away from assailants quickly too, or throw rocks at them really accurate.

20. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A personal alarm, the ones you have on keychains. They're extremely loud and can cause extreme discomfort near the face.