Daughter needs help.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Combat Sports, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wow -- that girl kills them! And I'd never heard of her! ::applause:: ::hearts:: Google says her dream is to be an MMA champ. I think she'll do it!

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's some great insight from Firas Zahabi on the JRE about the way MMA and crossfit can fit together.
    The short version is...they don't.
    Thought this might help the girl mentioned in this thread.
    I've heard this Zahabi guy knows a few things about coaching for MMA. :)

Van Zandt, Southpaw535, axelb and 3 others like this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That guy had so much great stuff to say about training in that podcast.

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

that interview has a good perspective on training longer term, especially with sport as a focus.

David Harrison likes this.
  5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I haven't finished the Firas show and I plan to. The problem is there are a lot of elite wrestlers who do not agree. Including big names like Ben Askren, Cael Sanderson, etc. Our home wrestling team wins a lot of state titles both team and individuals and cross fit is at the core of the strength training we use.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Firas refutes that with "who wins more at the world level? Russians" and then details how the Russians train.

axelb likes this.
  7. Combat Sports

Well, what I would say back to Firas, is let's see how that holds up without the state sponsored doping program. Considering how few athletes they were able to send to international events in the wake of their extensive use of steroids being exposed.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I haven't watched the show, and I don't actually know too much about crossfit. That out the way, a question I would have for Firas would be if we look at his most successful fighter, GSP, we have a guy who's in contention as one of the greatest fighters ever, was a fantastic wrestler, but also someone who did do weight work and exercise regimes that, to my untrained eye, looked fairly cross fitty.

The obvious counters to that are that GSP was/is just a freak of an athletic specimen and the rules for mere mortals are different, and that GSP contends he never really did weight lifting until quite recently and all his strength work came from athletics and gymnastics. I'm sure I've seen footage way before that of him doing oly lifts so I don't know for sure. But yeah. That was just a thought that came to mind. I'm not saying he's wrong at all, it is just a question I'd be curious to ask him.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There is something up with the multi-quote system guys. I can't multi-quote anymore. I click multi-quote on one and then reply on another so I can get both in my reply. It used to work like that.the "more options" feature doesn't let me do it either.

@Combat Sports yeah he said that was a problem too, that wrestling is underfunded in the U.S also. At the end of the day though, the way they train seems to work better.

He says that cross-fitters are always going 100% because they are competing against each other and American wrestlers are always going 100% he says it's better to go at 70% every day 5/6 days a week than bust yourself 3 times a week. It's all about putting in hours. Eventually your 70% will become higher and better. A pros 70% is my 100% and then some.

He said you should go 100% once in a while, just so you know what it feels like.

Decent podcast. Really enjoying these MMA Rogan podcasts.

axelb, Southpaw535 and David Harrison like this.
  10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Try clicking the +Quote button on the end of each message you want to quote. As soon as you click one, a new button should appear under your reply box at the bottom of the page that says Insert Quotes. Click that when you have used +Quote on all relevant posts et voila :D

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  11. Combat Sports

So I am a bit further into the Firas interview, and the odd thing is while he has not used the word cross fit yet, what he is describing that he thinks is "good" and "better" literally fits right in line with the cross fit philosophy. Explosive power in Olympic lifts. Which is exactly what my daughter does.

12. Combat Sports

So now listening to him talk about cross fit, I wonder if he really understands it. Considering that virtually all of the workouts we do there call for 75% OR LESS and sometimes as low as 50% of 1RM done for speed. 1RMs are worked on generally at the very tippy top of the pyramid and not generally done during any of the actual cross fit workouts. Nobody does say 21/15/9 for time of their 1RM, that's not even physically possible. Otherwise it wouldn't be your 1RM, it would be your 21RM.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The movements used by elite wrestlers (i.e., world championship medallists) and elite CrossFitters (i.e., CF Games top 10 finishers) might be similar, but the loads and frequencies won't be. For example: a wrestler may do the snatch and / or clean & jerk (Olympic weight lifting movements) several times a week to develop explosive strength capacity, whereas a CrossFit athlete will do those same movements with greater volume and frequency (e.g., 2x CF Games champion Annie Thorisdottir has been known to do Olympic lifts 2-3 times a day). With the very rare exception of a few genetic monsters, no athlete got to an elite level in one sport by training like an elite athlete in another sport.

David Harrison and Southpaw535 like this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That was basically Zahabi's entire point (obviously with more detail).
    His example of Rafa Mendes (who seems to be widely regarded as one of the best BJJ competitors there is) not being world class at crossfit or having a brilliant squat or deadlift. He's only got so much time and that time is best spent getting better at BJJ (and training in a way that compliments that goal).

axelb and Van Zandt like this.
  15. Combat Sports

I guess it would help to clarify the intention then, wrestlers I know who do cross fit don't compete in it. They use it as part of their training regiment. For us it was a good way to build general athleticism and also helped to prevent the problems associated with early specialization. A lot of the kids in our area play football which we obviously are not interested in. She has also boxed though we are between gyms at the moment. We wanted to do something that was not wrestling that would still help her athleticism. It certainly did that.

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Holy thread necro,

I just wanted to ask how did your daughters injury resolve itself in the end?

Is she still training? I imagine if she is, she must be very good by now!

Feel free to ignore this post if you don't want to say.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  17. Combat Sports

Well...

She was slammed on her head by a girl who outweighed her by 65 pounds when she was about 105 and had a severe concussion which she "recovered" from which I put in quotes as the doctors had her do something radically different then the same clinic had my son do just 5 months prior. (He was told to avoid screens, not do schoolwork, etc. She was told to do the opposite of what they told him to do.)

A few months after her "recovery" she was never the same. Developed a sleep disorder, and Fibromyalgia that manifested in severe muscle cramping in her back. The doctors had her in physical therapy for 8 months not listening to us before I finally convinced one to consider it was neurological. Final straw was when I took her an expensive massage and they worked out all the knots and those same knots returned in three days of no activity.

Its sad and frustrating as now girls she would easily defeat are nationally ranked.

I made one final video of her after months of putting it off and bawled like a kid several times.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Grond likes this.
  18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That's terrible news, very sorry to hear I hope she gets the help she needs to deal with that

19. Combat Sports

I see the girl who did it to her on a regular basis while taking my son to practices and just bite my tongue. She knew full well what she was doing and I basically get to watch her have a promising career while my daughter is trying to figure out how she can have a normal life. She never apologized. She slammed her and turned on her heel to find another partner as my daughter laid crying on the floor. My daughter had been thumping on her teammates and it was like she was trying to make some kind of statement.

I see the moment in my head from time to time and just wish I had a time machine.

Grond likes this.
  20. Combat Sports

While she is out of the game, her younger brother is still at it.

And wants to make the Greco Roman World team:

Grond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.