Daoyin

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by runcai, Jul 20, 2014.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Based on what I've read so far runcai is either Kitty Pride who can become immaterial so her muscles become immaterial as well and don't need to contract or Mr Fantastic who's muscles elongate.

So, if you are stretching, you are moving, if you are moving your muscles are contracting to overcome resistance. Perhaps you are a jellyfish?

So runcai, as I said in another thread, what in God's holy name are you blathering about?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Could also be an Amoeba

3. runcai

runcai Valued Member

I was going to ask you the same question, which book tells you that stretching is "the muscle fibers shorten as tension develops"?

Do you agree that zuanquan involved rotating, bending and stretching?

4. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Well, you can look up zuanquan or Wing Chun Tan Sau should be also rotating, bending and stretching if done correctly.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't care about them - YOU show us

I will be honest with you; I think you are a poseur, a wannabe and I think you spout this kind of pseudo esoteric drivel to try and come across as being more knowledgeable that you actually are

It is having the opposite effect

I have yet to see a post from you longer than two lines, you NEVER contribute anything of value and seem incapable of even answering a question on your own without making some "appeal to authority" crap.

If I ask you what you thought of a film I don't care if you can tell me what Roger Ebert thought about it, it's YOUR opinion I am interested in

Why are you actually here?

6. Xue Sheng

Well no book told that, because I did not say that. You came up with that all on your own. I never said
    You need to read more carefully

What I said was that you claim to be abstaining from "concentric muscle contraction" And that would mean you are not moving at all because it is absolutely necessary for movement. and Anatomy and physiology tells me that, took it in college, 2 semesters, got an A too. But I would not expect you to go through that to find out I'm right.

All you need to is look up the definition, or buy an book on Anatomy and physiology or Kinesiology. Or ask a doctor, a physical therapist or a personal trainer

Agree with who, because you are omitting a key part of what I said. It is like a spring being wound which is muscle contraction. There is rotating but with our muscle contraction there is nothing other than you laying on the floor not moving or for that matter breathing.

You also did not answer my question as to if you train with an actual teacher or if you are getting this form a book

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

The contraction free body.

[​IMG]

8. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Okay, you sort of defined concentric contraction, but have you work with isokinetic dynamometer in your college education?

9. Hannibal

10. Xue Sheng

Tell you what, you start answering my questions and I'll start answering yours.

1) Do you train with an actual teacher or if you are getting this form a book?

2) I do know what an isokinetic dynamometer is, do you?

Muscle contraction is necessary if you are talking a "isokinetic dynamometer" and lets just cut to the chase here and stop much of this silliness. I was. at one time, say back in my college career, studying to be a physical therapist, should have stuck with that, but my impatiences at the time got the better of me so..... now

Read this before you answer >>>> Until you answer question number 1 there is no more to say here.

11. runcai

runcai Valued Member

1. I learnt Xingyi from teachers and friends and books and research papers and doing my own research on the relevancy of kinetic chain and the impacts on the 6 Yin meridians in the practice of the 5 element fist set.

2. We use isokinetic dynamometer to measure concentric muscle contraction and eccentric muscle contraction.

12. embra

embra Valued Member

I truely do not believe I am reading this, but then again.....

13. Hannibal

Translation - made it up off bits I've read in "Inside Kung Fu" magazine and seen on youtube

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

15. Xue Sheng

Teachers you actually meant with and had a class with, or saw in a video or dealt with exclusively online?

And why are you only studying the Yin side of things?

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What teachers/ lineage and how long compared to your "learning" from friends and books and papers?

I rather suspect we all know the answer. I am going to guess very little of the former, and lots of the latter.

I wonder how long you will take to answer this.

17. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Well there is a lot more researches on the subject, and what interest me is the "unique motor unit activation pattern associated with maximal-level eccentric muscles action" from a research paper back in 2004 by Yin Fang and others.

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Why does that interest you?

From the abstract:

"Detailed comparisons of individual electrode signals suggested that eccentric movements needed a significantly longer time for early preparation and a significantly greater magnitude of cortical activity for later movement execution. The extra preparation time and higher amplitude of activation may reflect CNS activities that account for the higher risk of injury, higher degree of movement difficulty, and unique motor unit activation pattern associated with maximal-level eccentric muscle actions."
    - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899304011394

In what way is this significant to your practice?

19. runcai

runcai Valued Member

I did say something on my teachers in the introduction and I do not want to repeat it again and again.

You said you know zuanquan, and zuanquan is associated with the kidney (water) and the kidney meridian is a Yin meridian. There are some theories on the direction of Qi flow which sort of explain why Xingyiquan only focus on the Yin meridians. Your Xingyiquan teacher might have an opinion on it.

20. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Maybe the current interest is whether eccentric movements are relevant to the practice of Daoyin Shu, as least in terms of guided by the meridians, rotating, bending, stretching, generating impact on the tendons and bones, and breathing.