DanJun=powerzone

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Hapkido Student, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

My master Instructor said that DanJun is your power zone. He also stated that if your power zone(Abdominal's) are strong enough it can stop the piercing of a knife is this true and how? :cool:

Thank's In advance. :D

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

hmm stopping a knife with your abdominals sounds pretty dangerous to me. =)

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

It might be possible, but would take years of training. Also it does sound very dangerous.

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Rubbish!!!!!

5. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

HS

I don't know who your teacher is. He may be a great teacher capable of absolutely perfect technique with a wonderful gift of being able to teach and enlighten students in a way each individual can most effectively absorb information. But teaching that type of old school mumbo jumbo is imho really irresponsible. Especially if someone takes it seriously and starts thinking that they're now immune to piercing attacks just because they've done a lot of sit ups and meditation.

No matter how strong your abdominal muscles are there is no way it can withstand a knife attack. I've seen combat knives stuck into old car doors a number of times as an example of their sharpness.

Now if this knife can pierce metal imagine what it would do to your stomach. Please, please please don't believe that your stomach can one day repel knife attacks.

6. wild_pitch

no disrespect to your instructor intended but i think it is dangerous for him to even imply this is possible.

7. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Real MA isn't a Kung Fu movie.

You should not believe that kind of non-sense. A well train MA can do many things that seem to be supernatural but that's not one of them.

Ask your teacher two questions

1. What's Ki?

2. Where is it?

Get back to me.

8. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Stuart,

I agree. I can't believe people are still telling their students these kind of things. I have met this particular instructor. I find it rather irresponsable to say such a thing. Your job as an instructor is to give your students the best possible training to keep them as safe as possible. What's next, are instructors like this going to tell students they can catch bullets with their teeth?

9. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

oh man I am sorry but thats just an out right lie . I would burst out laughing but it was more sad than funny :cry: .

but on the first point , yes alot of your power comes from your trunk ( torso) and your hips . I guess he can call it what ever he wants ...

10. shotokanwarrior

If you had them surgically coated in Kevlar, it might be possible.

No, seriously, he's talking utter diarrhoea.

11. Hapkido Student

Hmm..

He didn't necessarily say it was possible. He said with year's of pratice it help's tighten your abdominal's so that the knife wouldn't cause as much damage. Not like make your body become invincible..LOL sorry for putting it wrong :(

12. baederp

baederp New Member

Dan Jun breathing for power

Here is an interesting article on the benefits of abdominal vs. reverse abdominal breathing and it's effect on breaking power. The website is from GM Dong in Richmond VA. Follow the link to his thesis on Power Develoment.

Here is the site:
    http://www.dongs.com/main.html

13. wild_pitch

i would say that is also not true... there is NO way that strong abs are going to slow down a knife.

14. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

Impossible!

In all my years in Hapkido I have NEVER hear a second generation Master make this kind of claim..never mind seeing it done.

This type of statement can lead to serious problems, moral, legal and many other repurcussions, including likely death from puncture wound.

Any instructor who would make such a claim has no business teaching anybody!!!

The image of a 6 inch "cold steel" folded tanto being thrust into an ab muscle by a 200 pound knife expert should prevent anyone from trying this demo. I have seen one of these blades penetrate through major city telephone directories..

Ki breathing can be used to demonstrate many interesting results..preventing potentially lethal puncture wounds by making yourself punture proof is NOT one of them..

Any instructor who makes such a claim should draw up their will and offer to demo this incredible skill on national TV..entitled "The Knife Proof Idiot".

K. Stewart

15. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

Aw man, you guys are ruining my dreams.

16. Hapkido Student

Notice I said that he said it would help. Ok so you all are saying that a fat 400 pound guy that never excersized is gonna be protected more then someOne who has "ab's of steel"-And no before anyone jumps on that. It is a similie for christ's sake. He will get hurt more then the fat guy on this? I never said that my Master said It'll stop cold a knife and bend it. It'll !!!!HELP!!!! Not stop. There's a huge difference in this. Also I really don't appreciate most of everyone comming in here and dissing my Master Instructor. I thought this was a martial art's forum not martial art's bash instructor fun. I give alot of people credit and I have no idea how you get off on talking trash about people?????????...My input...Have a nice day!

17. shotokanwarrior

Why isn't there a regulatory body of some kind to stop crap like this?

18. wild_pitch

listen hapkido student.. people are being harsh about this because it is a very dangerous idea to put in peoples head. the simple fact is that no amount of muscles are going to even slow down a blade, the end.

i have seen a sharp blade puncture the hood of a car with little to no extra work. you ab muscles simply are not hard enough.

19. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Actually more than likely he will. Because the knife would have to get through several inches of fat before it reaches vitals. Either way, whether you're fat or not, situps and breathing excercises won't help you survive a knife to the gut.

But the reality is it won't help. No amount of breathing excercises are going to do jack against a sharp knife into your stomach.

Like I said earlier you may have a great instructor. But he is human and he makes mistakes. If he in anyway gave anyone in your school the idea that strong abdominals and proper breathing can make you resilient to knife attacks then I'm sorry to say that this is an example of him making a mistake.
    This is not meant as an attack or a "bash" but that is reality.

You have to realize that when other instructors hear something like this is being taught where the results can be FATAL. It's in everyone's best interest to stop this right from the get go, it's better for a few people on the internet to "bash" an instructor than it is for 1 person to believe this falsehood and get injured or possibly die as a result.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005