Dan Inosanto Legal Dispute with Bruce Lee Estate?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by DragonDude, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

No offence but, Say's who?

The man said close the schools and stop using the name, why? he must have had a reason don't you think. Maybe he seen all the arguing between groups comming and did not like what he could see.

Best regards

Pat

2. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Well, if you can recall the conversation between Bruce and Dan Lee, Bruce basically wanted dan lee to watch over Inosanto's conduct of his backyard classes; saying to keep the body count low, but the quality high.

Also, Dan has often stated in interviews that he promised not to teach JKD publicly. We all know how that turned out.

3. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

inosanto only helped people like taky kimura give the public a true understanding of jkd,cos of all the bogus teachers.

4. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I'd say it was one of the main ones - he charged outrageous prices for tuition.

5. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

What's the "true" understanding?

6. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

Totally agree!

7. tel

what bl was trying achive,not just throwing stuff together.

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Suing someone for teaching a style is perfectly reasonable, especially in this day and age of the McDojo were people claim to teach something yet have no ground, foundation or qualification in that style.

Like everything in life, you have to pay your dues, Why they are suing Dan? I am sure they have reasons, and obviously the court thought they were good enough for the Estate to win it's case.

Also your other comment obout monie not being a primary goal of Bruce I am affraid is a bit blinkered. If you look at what he was charging for private lessons in the 60's and 70's and compare it to todays econmony it would amout to him charing around $1000.00 per hour by todays standards. That is a shocking amount to charge anyone for an hour of instruction in anything.

Best regards

Pat

9. tel

your right,thing is people will pay anything, if they really want to do something

10. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Does anyone have any information on this case? I can't find anything about it on the web.

11. tel

funny thing. inosanto is selling a new t-shirt, with absorb what is useful on it

12. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i was under the impression that bruce actually left the art in dans capable hands, he was the highest ranked student at the time and remains so, other than taky. but i feel that dan has carried the name and carried it well and without him the estate would have struggled to maintain the name and the art, this is seriously not on and the students from every leanage of the art should voice an opinion(sorry about grinding on:-() :woo: :bang:

13. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i reckon that, maybe you are right and yes everyone makes money from bruce in some way or another, but yet, when i try and get interest in my club, run by Mr Mark Hayes and i tell them the history, they think i am having them on, they see bruce as a film star and nothing more, so maybe the estate just want a bit of the seminar pie which is a disgrace!!

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That's fine. I've never been able to track down any reference to that quote in any of Bruce Lee's works or notes.

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

And the Lee estate hasn't copyrighted it yet. Bet they wish they had....

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Can you even copyright a quote?

17. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Donald Trump tried "You're Fired" but it didn't work out for him. I would expect some of the lawyers on the site could answer this one better.

18. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

And if they could have - they would have. More evidence that the quote is not from Bruce Lee.

19. Fightgear

Fightgear New Member

I remember attending the first ever UK seminar by Inosanto in '78-ish. What was taught was clean and direct. Much like the JKD you see Ted Wong or Tim Tackett showing. Simple, direct and efficient.
    Sadly, nowadays that is a rarity.
    The Nucleus was born out of a desire to keep the ORIGINAL teachings of Bruce alive. They (the Nucleus) recognised that each period of Bruce's teaching had a different persona. One of the greatest moments in my martial arts life was being one of the few people invited to the first ever Nucleus event in San Fransisco and feeling the passion of the people involved both Nucleus members AND invited participants from all over the world.
    Sadly, the reasons Nucleus members became involved differed from good to exploitative. Some obviously saw big dollar signs, some saw fame and power, others genuinely wanted to preserve the teachings. Although because of this all shared a common goal, the personal agendas meant that that goal could not be achieved.
    I heard numerous reasons for Inosanto leaving from both sides of the fence I also know that some of his Chinatown students/colleagues were happy to see him leave regardless of what they said publically.
    When the Nucleus became instrospective and especially when John Little left, the rationality ceased. It became a paper and power exercise and was doomed to a very quick demise. The Lee estates devotion to protecting Bruce Lee's name has not promoted his legacy, it has illegitimised it. Attempting to seek $$$ from Bruce's name has meant it has destroyed its long term future.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wasn't that on one of Bruce's wall plaques in the dojo rather than in his writings?

And out of interest have the family of Jack Dempsey thought about suing the BL estate for his poaching fo their father's writing when he was making notes for the "Tao"?