Dan Bong drills

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by coc716, May 27, 2006.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Do you do any sort of dan bong drills? If so, please share!

For instance, one drill I'll do is Maek Chi Ki with dan bong.

I recently was reading about the arnis "12 strike" patterns, such as http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39160 and could see a drill like that being applied to dan bong. I also have read articles about the 18 sa hyul points for dan bong in KSW, such as at http://www.lowestoftkuksoolwon.co.uk/archives_main.asp?ArticleID=20 and could see modifying an exercise like the arnis drill to include some of those sa hyul points.

Just looking for more ideas to continue to strengthen my dan bong skills.

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

One thing that pops to my head right away is to poke the heavy bag. The grip is difficult, the dan bong slides easily in the hand at first (at least for me).

3. ember

ember Valued Member

Have you been taught the dan bong meditations?

I learned the first two last fall, because my practice was so restricted. I haven't been taught any more than that yet.

4. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Yes. I've been taught these (3 of them; if there's more, that's news to me... I only see 3 in the staff handbook). I've also been taught doing Maek Chi Ki with dan bong. And a little bit of the first dan bong hyung. These are all certainly good things, and I do practice them.

I really enjoy dan bong as a weapon, not just as a training aid or as "something to do". For instance, I think sword is fun, good training, good thing to do, but I don't think it's a practical weapon... I certainly can't carry it around town or onto an airplane. Dan bong I think is a practical weapon, one I want to gain practical experience with to be able to use it as an actual self-defense weapon. Thus, I'm looking for more things to help me improve in that way. I've got books, videos/dvd's, find stuff online, and do a lot of practicing (my Wavemaster XXL takes a nice beating from me). I'm just continuing the search for any new suggestions for drills, tips, techniques, etc. towards becoming truly proficient with dan bong.

Of course, the weapon I'm really looking forward to is cane. I think between dan bong, cane, and rope techniques, that it's a pretty practical and legal set of weaponry

5. ember

ember Valued Member

Coolness!

The *only* thing I think I can add is practicing your joong bong spinning with it. And that's more to help your joong bong than to use the dan bong practically.

I'm not sure a dan bong can go on an airplane. I haven't tried, I kept it in my checked bags when I travelled with it. But since practicality is what you want, you could probably adapt the techniques you know to a flashlight, rolled up newspaper, or other makeshift tool.

6. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Most of the fan techniques work well with a dan bong, but if you waiting for cane then you'll be waiting quite a while for the fan. It sounds to me like you are doing the right things. Have you tried making a "safe" dan bong and practice self defense with that. You make one from parts from a hardware store. A little bit of PVC pipe and foam pipe protector works ok.

7. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Dan bong on a plane? All depends who inspects your bags, since the TSA inspectors are so inconsistent. But that's a whole other discussion. ;) Seriously tho, I think dan bong is practical in the sense that one can be carried, concealed, etc.. unlike a joong bong or a sword. And it's arguable it's "just a stick", but it'll generally be fashioned a little bit (e.g. cut, finished wood) so it's a little tough to argue, at least to the layman, that it's not some sort of club. But you pointed out another reason I like dan bong, because a lot of things can be used with dan bong techniques. This is one reason I have a MagLite flashlight.

And this is one big reason for cane. You CAN carry that anywhere, including on a plane. And I can never see canes becoming banned.

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Yes, it seems the fan techniques would work well here too, but yes it's a long ways off for me. :)

At some point in the past I did think about making a practice pair, but never got past thinking about it... got stuck trying to figure out materials. The big question was how to pad it yet keep the dimensions and weight about the same. I didn't think about foam pipe protector, but that's a great idea! Next time I head to Home Depot I'll pick some of this up and see how it goes.

Thanx for the suggestion.

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

In California it my understanding that you cannot carry the big maglight in your car if it is within arms reach. The cops can treat it as a club. In the trunk is fine.

10. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I just remembered a drill I thought of a while ago (this is why I'm glad I keep a diary of my Kuk Sool experience, just wish I kept it in a better form than a simple text file).

Doing Ki Bohn Soo with dan bong.

It doesn't work out perfectly tho. For instance, assuming the dan bong is held in your right hand, KBS #3 is a bit awkward so I find it works better if your partner also starts from offensive stance. Same with KBS #6.

KBS #8 I think works out better if you work it more like Joo Muk Maga KBS #8, with your partner doing a downward stab. But then, I don't feel it working out like KBS #8... maybe more like a Dahn Do Mak Ki 8 or 9.

KBS #9, not totally sure what to do there for the strike but I think it can work out, just not with a direct dan bong strike (a tip thrust doesn't seem practical). Still thinking about this one.

KBS #14, I'm not sure what to do there. That's really the only one I can't figure out how to finagle something.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting exercise to do this. Even trying to see what other techniques and/or technique sets lend themselves to dan bong. It's helping me figure out other ways to use the dan bong, things that work, things that don't work (which can be just as important).

11. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Hi coc716, you might be able to get some ideas from Tedeschi's Hapkido book. I just looked over that section and it has some cool stuff.

Ki Bon Bon #3 is a variation of Ki Bon Soo #3 that would lend itself nicely to using a dan bong.

On KBS #9 you could just use the dan bong for the finishing strike, keeping the technique the same otherwise.

On #14 how about just cracking the guys knuckles since you can't grab his hand. You don't want his hand functional while you perform the throw.

12. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I have the book and love it. In fact, it was reading through that section on dan bong that made me think about doing KBS (and any other technique set) with dan bong. Some of the stuff in there looked like KBS and so I figured why not try the whole set out and see how it went.

Oh yes, I can see that.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking.

Hrm, yeah. Certainly that's good for entry, but I'm still thinking about how to do the throw itself since you can't really use your right hand (with dan bong in it) to grab his left hand/wrist to fully do the throw. Or maybe I'm just not good enough at doing the throw one-handed. ;)

13. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I don't see how to do #14 other than one handed with a dan bong in your hand. Maybe #14 is just not a good match for use with dan bong.

14. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

And it's entirely possible it's just not a good match. You can still do a hip throw (KBS #15 can work, hooking the dan bong butt end around the neck), but just perhaps not in a way like KBS #14 does it.

Next time I have a willing partner and the time/ability to do this stuff, I'll try it out and see.

Thanx for your conversation on this tho. It's been useful.

15. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Cool, tell me how it works out.

Your welcome, it was fun for me as well.