Damn Armbar

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Death by Heel, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Death by Heel

Death by Heel New Member

in jiu jitsu class someone gave me a nice armbar, and im still feeling the effects of it. any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. ninjapiratecapn

ninjapiratecapn Est. 1986

I had the same problem in my first jits class. First, use the RICE treatment: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Depending on the severity, you might want to keep your arm in a sling for a while. I had to keep mine immobilized for two weeks, myself.

3. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

:topic: well i have to say this would be a nice name for a bar as in place to drink. Dam Armbar!

So, did you rotate or is it to early for you to know that you should rotate as they start to create pressure.

What he says above.

4. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

You guys are really into this RICE thing arent you...?
    The rest part is fantastic, and the compression and the elevation are ok I suppose...

But the ice....the ice is bad news. Perfect way to totally destroy the healing progress, bring things to a hardened halt and set the course for future problems. Ive made several posts about this here and other places, I encourage others to read them and stop using ice on your injuries.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

PlumDragon,

I know you've posted up about this before, but now we have the new forums, how would you feel about creating a new thread which summarises your opinions on ice and providing some alternatives? It could spark some informative debate for and against.

Just a thought.

6. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Ill be happy to...look for it soon =)

BTW, this is kinda cool, all these H&F forums. I like.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  7. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Ice is a good thing. Simple and effective.

The RICE principle holds, as well as Do not H.A.R.M.

No heat
    No alcohol
    No rubbing
    No medications that are classed as antiinflammatories for the first 48 hours post injury (paracetamol and codeine are fine).

You don't want to prolong the inflammatory process any more than you have to, which is what the first three do, but you don't want to stop it straight from the outset either. This is why you take the Antiinflammatories after 48 hours. There are three "basic" stages to healing and that is inflammation, repair and remodelling. inflammation is needed to start repair, therefore it wouldn't be prudent to stop it with antiinflammatories.

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Thanks for taking the time - just spotted it. Hopefully we can get some good debate going on it, and maybe use it as a reference thread in the future. :)

9. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Interested to hear why PlumDragon is against ice too. I've used it on numerous injuries recently and they healed up much quicker than before i knew about RICE.

Also, might be worth picking up some Cryogel for the times when ice isn't available. This stuff has worked wonders for me and is great for immediately after training or at work where ice may not be available.

http://www.cryogel.tv/

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Just go easy in training, I don't advocate stopping training for anything but serious injuries. Tell the guys you're working with not to put the locks on and use commonsense. I found strapping the arm helped a little.

I had a bad elbow hyperextension plus who knows what, took 6 months to heal but I didn't stop training. Just cut down all my weapons work and kept to empty hands MA, tapped out early on locks/holds on that arm plus careful on how I did breakfalls.

11. vingaard

vingaard New Member

I will be happy to read your fact about not using ice. I have never heard anyone said this before...

12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I guess I'll play the part of the overly concerned nanny. :)

Tap sooner. Make sure your partner isn't some goon looking to hurt people in training.

other than that, RICE has never let me down.

13. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Ice is good for injuries like this, do 20 min on 20 min off. Repeat.
    Hyperextension can be a pain, I don't think my elbow will ever be the same.
    Do things carefully on that arm, and give it time to heal by tapping earlier etc, and learn some nice reversals that hurt them more! (joke)