Daito Ryu

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by MingTheMerciles, Feb 7, 2007.

1. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

Hello sir, hope you didn't think I was trying to correct you... not at all. Being familiar with Daito-ryu but largely unfamiilar with Aikido (never having trained it it), I was just trying to determine if the technique called ippondori in DR is the same as a technique called ikkajo in Aikido.

Koyo, thanks for the pic... that looks a lot like DR's ippondori, with the difference that in DR the opponent's shoulder is driven more deeply toward the ground as part of the pin.

btw, Very nice discussion. Thanks to all of you.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Howard

the photograph shows the second kuzushi )weakpoint) used in the technique the third shall be addressed driving the shoulder to the ground as you say.

Hi Bear :)

I show principles it is up to the student to teach himself how to use them. So I do not consider you a tourist and you know that you are welcome to train.I spoke to the boys a weapons seminar is on the cards.

regards koyo

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Hi Koyo,
    I was only taking the p. I know makotokai accepts all kinds of lunatics.
    Sometimes it gets a little too samurai round here. ;)

The Bear.

4. koyo

Indeed in fact you yourself are living proof of it. :love:
    Or should that be consists of rather than accepts?

Will keep you updated
    koyo

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

No, it was my mistake, I forgot the terms.

More from the same person: Saito Morihiro Sensei demonstrating Iwama Taijutsu

Another example by Tamura Shihan - Katate Dori Ikkyo

Very different in execution to Daito-ryu technique.

6. koyo

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Are he videos on VHS tape? DVD? Already on your PC?

8. koyo

David posted it onto one of the martial arts of aikido threads.

koyo

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

So Dave is the only person who has them digitized?

10. koyo

Not sure kogusoku. It was on one of the martial arts of aikido threads. Chiba shihan is in suwari waza (kneeling) and a guy moves towards him and suddenly Chiba explodes towards him and unleashes the "happy slap of the year" knocking the poor guy flying.

regards koyo

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

12. koyo

Wake up!!! Yup that's the one. At one seminar Chiba shihan executed a similar technique about half a dozen times in a row on an unfortunate uke. Then called me over and said "Why dosen't he defend his head?" :D
    He could have told the boy but as Chiba said he does not "teach" he makes you learn. He only had to DO it in front of me once for me to learn. :eek:
    The only way to avoid this happening to you was to attack Chiba shihan as hard and as accurately as possible. If anyone was tentative in their approach..BOOM!
    Viewing the numerous aikido masters in the videos really brings home the thought that older arts do not allow the changing of techniques (kogusoku's post) and principles. I am pleased to see that my two main teachers Chiba shihan and Saito shihan have retained the martial aspects. Saito shihan in particular stressed that we must not change the art.

Thaks a lot aikiwolfie.

regards koyo

Note the triangular entry and atemi.And attacking the "attacker".

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

:D no problem ;)

14. koyo

Hi kensei

I reopened this thread so that you can view shihans Chiba and Saito my two main instructors. All that I have posted can be seen in their videos.Post 91

regards koyo

My favourite photo.Chiba shihan looks particularly martial in the videos but he always treated me kindly. See below. :eek: You have that to look forward too. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007