Daily Dozen

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smitfire, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So I'm putting together a short technique routine. Something that can serve as an TKD specific warm up, morning rise and shine routine, something to do on a tea break, cool down or just a simple way of remembering fundamental TKD techniques.
    I like the idea of a snappy title so I'm going with "Daily Dozen" (a title that's fairly common and has been used by TKD pioneer Jhoon Rhee).

So 12 techniques done 12 times each side for 288 techniques. Probably done from a relaxed chunbi stance.

What would you lovely TKD people include?

So far I have this (still need to work on an order that flows or makes sense)...

1: Front punch
    2: Low block
    3: Rising block
    4: Middle inner forearm block
    5: Middle outer forearm block
    6: Knifehand guarding block
    7: Front elbow
    8: Front knee
    9: Front kick
    10: Side kick
    11: Turning kick
    12:???

Not sure what to put in for number 12?
    Twin forearm block maybe? Straight spear finger? Side knifehand strike? Back or reverse side kick?
    I like the balance of 6 "attacks" and 6 "blocks" but don't want to force that if a non-block technique fits better.
    I'd also like it to perhaps reflect how common the techniques appear in the patterns?

Travess likes this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just had a preliminary run through of this on a tea break and think the hand techniques need to be interspersed with leg techniques to give the shoulders a break. It takes around 5 minutes to do which seems a good time.

3. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Head butt, but call it something mystical. :p

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah not really a core technique that one. I mean...I like 'em but they're not gonna be in my daily dozen.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd say back kick, just to get a bit of front/back balance as well as left/right balance.

narcsarge, Mitch and Smitfire like this.
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yes. I came to that conclusion too.

narcsarge and David Harrison like this.
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You can perform all your blocks from sitting stance, which will also be great practice for getting your hips moving in Po Eun.

Knees and elbows from loose guard, kicks too, unless you want to drill it linework stylee with a proper palmok daebi makgi after each.

Like David, I'd stick a back kick in there, or maybe a downward kick if you want something to work the hamstring a bit.

I have a list somewhere of every new technique that occurs in the TAGB syllabus at every grade (across patterns, set sparring, linework etc), that works a nice set up for coloured belt grades.

Mitch

narcsarge likes this.
  8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Jsut for that im going to start a break away orginzation which soley teaches headbutts! XP

You could always do another knife hand.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gimme. :)

One thing I've noticed (or think I've noticed...might be wrong), still being fairly new to instructing, is beginners struggle to make sense of all the new stuff they're being shown and what to train or do on their own time.
    So was trying to think of something that covered the basics/fundamentals as well as being a succinct summary of the range of technique.

Something covered at the recent TAGB seminar in Loughborough was making best use of the warm up and training time available by making things TKD specific and geared towards the activity in question (as opposed to load of generic star jumps, jogging round, etc). Something I was already aware of and implementing to be honest but it was nice to have that confirmed.

It also gives me something to break up the day (already do a bit of yoga and stretching periodically).

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So after another test I've come up with a provisional order of techniques....

1: Front Punch
    2: Low Block
    3: Front Kick
    4: Front Elbow
    5: Rising Block
    6: Side Kick
    7: Knifehand Guarding Block
    8: Outer Forearm Block
    9: Turning Kick
    10: Inner Forearm Block
    11: Front Knee
    12: Back Kick

narcsarge likes this.
  11. David Harrison

Are you putting the foot down between the front knee and back kick?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah. Do 24 knees. Then 24 back kicks. Each one is done 24 times (12 right, 12 left) before doing the next technique.
    Do that once every day for a week and you've used about 50 minutes of time and done 2,016 techniques. :)

narcsarge likes this.
  13. David Harrison

Ah! I thought you were doing 1-12 in order 24 times, alternating left and right. Like a little form.

Smitfire likes this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Could do it like that maybe. Seems easier to keep tabs on it doing it one after the other though?

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Taekwondo's already got too many forms. This is meant to be easy to remember. :)
    One thing about alternating left and right and doing each technique once is you then have to work out the transitions between techniques. That then is a form.
    Whereas I'm after something more simple than that.

16. David Harrison

Fair enough!

I'd find doing it form style a bit more interesting, and the transitions would be a bonus, but if that's not what you're after then that's not what you're after.

Knee Rider likes this.
  17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah just tried it alternating and it got confusing as which arm or leg I should be using next. Let alone remembering the sequence. Maybe I'm just a muppet? :)
    I might even see if it's easier to categorise the techniques together. Punch/elbow/blocks/knee/kicks.

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Any uppercuts, shovel hooks or short hooks in your TKD?

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Re the counting of reps couldn't you just make it a combo and run through six times in orthodox then switch to southpaw and repeat... Might make it less monotonous and then you only have to count to six twice.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah. All there (especially when I teach!) and love 'em all. Although I would say they wouldn't be considered as fundamental as the other stuff I've listed IMHO.

Maybe..again...think of it as warm up movement...try doing a press up, then a sit up, then a squat, then a burpee, then a star jump, etc...it'd get complex..rather than doing 12 press ups, 12 sit ups, 12 squats, etc etc.

Travess and Knee Rider like this.