Daido Juku Kudo - Black Belt Test Video

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kuma, Nov 18, 2012.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Which helmet are you talking about?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

From what I understand, the main purpose of the Kudo helmets aren't so much for impact protection but rather to protect against cuts from headbutted and elbows so you can go to work the next day.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The spartan/hg.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

They absorb impact very well and channel a lot of the force round the side of the head, plus the padding reduces the chances of bruising. They provide the best force dispersal of any realistic movement helmets I have seen. When worn with the new Alpha vest the Spartan helmet is brace 360 by a foam collar which allows the head to turn, but stops it being jerked back suddenly on impact.

But...
    1. Impact is impact: if you get hit hard your brain will move in your skull. The helmets will stop bruising, they won't stop concussion.
    2. Both helmets are designed to flex on the visor and plastic front as part of impact absorption when hit very hard and fast. That means if you have a large nose, or have not adjusted all the strapping to take the front of the helmet as far from your nose as possible, it will hit you in the nose as it flexes in. In some people that can cause nose bleeds.

5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Okay thanks! My main concern was whether the vent had some kind of hard plastic in it which could hit the face. Maybe there's a way I could just attach the visor to my current headgear. I'll have to fiddle with it.

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

That could affect your vision.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Fun fact about Daido Juku - Mas Oyama asked Takashi Azuma to develop a more realistic fighting format for Kyokushin and Azuma came up with the Kudo format. By that time knockdown fighting had exploded in popularity so they became concerned about changing the format again. With Oyama's permission Azuma split off and founded Daido Juku in 1981.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I found that, at Mitch's club. Maybe it was the adjustment, but they seemed to flex inwards in the middle and channel the force onto the end of your nose.

9. Cearball

Cearball New Member

Sorry to dig this old thread up but I have a question regarding these space helmets.

I have had a accident where I broke my lower jaw in three places & had teeth implants for my three front teeth screwed into the upper jaw.

I was advised never to go back to something like boxing due to the risk of the implants tearing out of my jaw if I sustained a direct impact to them.

A Kudo competing Karate school has turned up locally to me. I went along & saw the helmets they used to train with, they look solid enough to protect my upper jaw from a direct impact so I have been considering joining.

What do you guys think?

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think it would be incredibly stupid to risk any kind of impact with an injury that serious.

Take up BJJ. You won't be getting nearly as much impact to the head.

11. Cearball

Cearball New Member

It is not so much injury to the head but direct impact to the upper jaw I need to avoid. Or rather direct impact to the front teeth.

Thanks for the response BTW!

I have checked out the local sport BJJ schools near me. I would be more interested in Judo or wrestling if I was going to go down the grappling route. Am dipping my feet in a few local Judo classes at the moment.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

A traditional Russian diet can make people bulk up even if they work out like mad. Even Fedor is kinda soft around the middle by western standards, and he's frickin' Fedor.

A BUNCH OF SISSIES, I SAY

Just kidding. You couldn't pay me to go a couple rounds of full-contact with these guys.

EDIT: Sorry everyone, should have checked the date of the post I was responding to.