Daido Juku Kudo - Black Belt Test Video

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kuma, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It appears the main guy in the video is going for his 2nd dan.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEu5yEZPv8"]KUDO black belt dan test 2010. Maksim Suchkov, 2nd dan certification - YouTube[/ame]

Some pretty good stuff in here. I really like the idea of Daido Juku as a whole, wish it would get popular stateside. I believe there's one dojo in Detroit, MI and that's it. I like that their ido geiko is just like how they fight too. Some tough looking fellows in this video.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Some good stuff as you say, some other stuff, probably cultural, that I found shocking - like the topless obese coach and smoking on the mats!

I thought the hip/shoulder dynamic was interesting. It looked to me as if there was greater emphasis on power from the shoulder rather than the hip. Furthermore the greater emphasis on circular punches rather than straight or diagonal angles.

They look like a tough bunch. :)

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Boxing seems to have been a big influence in their hand skills.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKHZjRTd6E"]Daido juku 1 clip0 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  4. John Titchen

Kuma - you keep putting up https links instead of http - probably because you are logged in to youtube! Change to http and they will embed!

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Thanks, didn't know that. Not the most tech savvy. Give me anything with more than an on/off switch and I'm in trouble.

6. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Daido Juku is so boss! I first heard about it a few years ago and have wanted to train it ever since. But as has been mentioned, it's pretty much non-existent in the US. If a dojo ever opens up close to me though I will sign up within hours.

Cool vid. That exchange with the head kick is just brutal.

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Anyone know where I could pick up one of those helmets in north America? Or something similar with decent air circulation so it doesn't fog would be nice. I like the full clear plastic on the face better than my current caged helmet.

8. SPX

SPX Valued Member

9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

At that price it'd better come with a sponge bath. Plus I like the more current version the one guy was wearing which seemed to bubble less and sit closer to the face.

10. SPX

SPX Valued Member

11. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Yeah I saw that, and I love the style of helmet. I just wish it wasn't such pricey gear and that's before adding on import tariffs and shipping.

Thanks for trying to help!

Maybe I just need to try getting the design I really want into production.

12. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Yeah, no problem. Gear is always pretty expensive, though those helmets are a little above average in the price department.

I'd gladly pay it if that meant I could train in the style, though. Seems like it would've made it's way over here by now.

13. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Yeah the other problem besides the price is the fogging. I don't want to have to keep purchasing defogger because they can't design it with better vents somehow.

14. SPX

SPX Valued Member

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Mine is essentially like that. The problem I find with those is that there's a trade off in securedness to the head and visibility. Mine has more material around the face, more like regular headgear, and is much more secure but the cost is that it is much harder to see hooks coming.

16. John Titchen

They don't fog much Sketco - they have little holes in the plastic to let the air out.

The biggest problem with them is design. Any hit to the bubble channels force directly through the chin.

17. John Titchen

If you are in a real situation and aware of the danger, the odds are your peripheral vision will have been affected anyway. As a result training with limited peripheral vision is far better than training with full peripheral vision - it teaches you to keep moving your head.

18. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Hmm the chin thing I had not considered. That seems like a bit of a design flaw. Considering they sell all of the headgear with a defogging solution I'm not sure how effective the air holes are.

As for the second point I think you've just given me a new love for my headgear :love:

Maybe I'll get one of the clear ones for competition only and use my caged one for training.

19. John Titchen

I think with regard to the fogging it comes down to how you breathe. I've got some students who will steam up the High Gear, Spartan and Kudo helmets despite the air holes, I've got others who don't fog them up at all. It comes down to breathing technique. Generally speaking it is letting out an unnecessary big exhalation upwards towards the forehead that does it! Another factor is how much you sweat.

I've essentially retired my fake Kudo helmet, in part because of the chin issue, in part because of the poor padding elsewhere on my version. I use 4 HG, 1 Spartan and 5 Cage helmets.

20. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I know they're expensive but I'm curious; how well do they absorb impact to the mouth/nose area? I only ask because of the vent.