daido juku Hertfordshire or London plus questions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by robin101, Feb 19, 2014.

1. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Hey guys

I am really interested in Daido juku , but can only reach Herts and London in the UK. Are there any classes around there.

Also do you guys know if you have to buy the helmet / gear or if you can rent it from the club or what?

Many thanks

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

3. robin101

Do you mean the one in Slough? that is a bit far out for me. I can afford train and tube, but not train tube and taxi.

4. robin101

are there any plans to open other schools soon? maybe in central london?

5. Mitch

Don't know mate, sorry, I'm not involved with it just keep tabs on it in case it ever comes to Nottingham.

Are these classes any good to you? Sensei Lee Hasdell used to be part of the Kudo organisation but seems to have gone with a different but similar group now. He teaches near Victoria tube station by the looks of it.

http://www.ssjstudio.net/page7.htm

Otherwise your best bet would be to get in touch with the guy in the first link and see what the latest is regarding his classes.

Mitch

6. robin101

that looks interesting , may have to check this out, if they allow knee strikes, elbow strikes and headbutts like in Kudo i may have to head down.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I'd recommend training with Lee, he's a really down to earth and skilled guy with a lot of experience in MA, fought against Fedor and other big names in the early days. SSJ gym also produces some decent fighters.

8. robin101

may check it out, my only problem is I like the idea of the daido juku helmet as I work with people and having a bruised up face may be a problem.

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Might be able to just wear one when sparring or doing contact work anyway. I'm sure no one would mind if you explain your concerns.

Those helmet things are pretty cool though. Only thing is, I think they would encourage people to really unload on the head which long term may be worse for you as your brain might be getting jarred from potentially harder contact.

10. Mitch

That's a valid concern.

I've used cheap imitation versions and they transfer a lot of the force onto the jaw, plus they can steam up quite badly.

Mitch