D.I.Y quarterstaffs

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by leeless, Dec 19, 2004.

1. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

I've decided to try sparring with a quarterstaff with a friend of mine and just see what happens. As I lack a staff, I've gone into the woods and picked a few staffs that look like they might work. While doing so, I started wondering, are modern staffs cut from wood, or are they just taken from the tree as they are? Also, is there any way that I can reduce the rotting of these branches?

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

dry them out properly and oil them they wont rot see you in casualty when you or your mate try sparring.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  3. leeless

[sarcasm]Well, I've got no training in the weapon, so I figure I'll just hit him as hard and as fast I can, and therefore develop my understanding.[/sarcasm]

Don't worry, I'm not stupid. :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  4. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Qstaff...

Hi Leeless....

You will find some training tips and old Qstaff info/pics within the files of this yahoo group....

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/QuarterStaff1/

I'd recommend you pick up a couple of second hand fencing masks from ebay, elbow/knee pads & hockey gloves. Just beware of the forward thrust using the point, (This was banned in a lot of stick/staff fighting matches because it was believed to be too dangerous to be performed safely)

For a staff, you could buy staff-sized rattan cane from an internet supplier which isn't too heavy & will last you for ages.

"God spare our eyes" (Old UK stickfighting prayer)
    Louie

Attached Files:

5. leeless

Thanks Louie, I hope the group can help me to understand things better.

Don't be alarmed by the word "sparring" I used to describe the activity. I used it for want of a better word. I intend to take things slowly, working on foot positions, and the 8-point attack defence system. Any "sparring" will be:

1) I attack at low speed
    2) Opponant blocks attack
    3) Opponant attacks at low speed
    4) I block attack

The speed will be a little faster than Tai Chi.

Accidents can happen no matter how sensible you are, so I will invest in some fencing masks, but it being Xmas, I'm strapped for cash, so I won't be using the other pads when we start off. I've got an old pair of boxing gloves. Just to avoid some knuckle pain, I'll wear them. I'd assume they'd be better than nothing, right?

I'd really appreciate your answers to the following question.

Does all this sound sensible?

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Leeless...

A willing partner, pre-arranged drills of attack & defence & boxing gloves sound like an ideal way to start. If you don't have F/masks, safety goggles are a stop-gap alternative.
    Industrial/skateboard elbow knee protectors are pretty cheap or there's also cricket gloves/pads?

The attatched Photo shows a Portugese style Staff fighter. A video of their Staff fighting method can be purchased through the UK BlackBelt Mag!

Louie

Attached Files:

7. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

The Guys that invented the fighting arts had to start somewhere dude.

8. leeless

Yeah, but I'd hazard a guess that the start of fighting arts was actual combat, not training.

Cheers all.