Cyclists and car drivers sharing the road

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by budogirl, Oct 31, 2004.

1. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Today I cycled to a full time Taekwondo centre to see how long it would take me to cycle there from home (about half an hour in case you're interested) and to sense what vibes it gave me as a place to train.

On the way back, I was cycling along the road and a car driver in a side road to my left (on the wrong side of the road facing out) beeped his horn and - for no apparent reason - shouted "Get a car, you pr*ck". :confused:

Just thought I'd share that with you all. Anyone else been subject to "road rage" from car drivers when out cycling??

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'm pretty lucky, nearly everywhere is on the NCN (National Cycle Network) round here, so I dont get much hassle :)

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Melbourne is pretty cycle friendly but I've had my fair share. A guy opened his door on me yesterday and if it wasn't for my ninja reflexes (;)), he would've hit me.

I sometimes think twice about riding where I know groups of young guys are, or where they're driving because I've had yells before (and a bottle thrown at me by some guys standing around in London. They missed, I didn't stop). I forget the number of times cars have pulled/swerved in front of me, but that's just the nature of bike riding.

Just remember you've got just as much right to be on the road as they do. Take up as much space as you need, especially around corners and at traffic lights and don't worry about people getting impatient (remember you're much faster and more manoeuvrable on your bike if they want to get out of their car and play silly buggers).

But sometimes it's better to give way and let them do their thing. It's fair enough knowing you had the right of way, but I'd rather stop for a rude driver than try to explain road rules to the paramedic when they scrape me off the road.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

There are too many car drivers on the road these days that shouldn't be there. :bang:

No consideration for anybody else - whatsoever. :woo:

5. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Road rage - not really, car drivers in Oxford were normal i guess and car drivers in Athens do not detect or react to the presence of a cyclist near or even under their wheels so there is never a problem with them either :woo:

6. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

What do you think of cycling in Italy?? I'd think you would get more aggro from italiano's on scooters than the cars. Hope the cobblestones aren't too uncomfortable as well!

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well thats correct from a legal standpoint.... but most car drivers dont see it that way. fact is that bikes are slow. people riding along the middle of the road at 30kph are a PAIN IN THE ASS to everyone else who wants to get somewhere before christmas. dont do this, unless you enjoy having abuse hurled at you. as someone who usually drives a car, it works the other way as well. a lot of riders seem completely oblivious to the fact that they have nothing between them and the road except a plastic helmet and a shirt. the number of times ive had to slam on the anchors because some idiot on a bike shot out of nowhere....

In the situation you described though, you arent at fault. the guy was a jerk. but do remember that he is a jerk sitting inside 1.5 tons of metal, while you are sitting behind maybe a kilo of clothes.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good points.

I see this from both sides as I comute both my car and by bike.

Too many car drivers with too much ego behaving in a manner they would not dare to face to face without their tin box around them.

Too many cyclists with no regard for their personal safety - riding through red lights as if the law doesn't apply to two wheels.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not while out cycling, I prefer to walk than ride a bike for safety reasons, but I have actually been subjected to road rage from a bike rider while out driving more than a few times. One example, sitting at traffic lights at a pelican crossing, the lights go green, I start to move. A cyclist decides to ride straight across the crossing even though the lights are clearly red for people crossing. I slam on the brakes and touch the horn. He pulls over, spins round, and kicks the side-panel of my car before cycling off. Cost me £120 to get the damage repaired.

Another example would be the cyclist at a roundabout, cutting across three lanes on the roundabout with cars in them, and actually causing two cars to collide while trying to avoid him because he didn't bother checking around before simply pulling across the three lanes.

10. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Yoda wisely you speak indeed... just today I saw a cyclist go straight through a red light without looking at all... but I also know what its like cycling with cars not bothering to notice you or consider (actually slid sideways into a van/people carrier when they turned without indicating, left a nice impression of me and the bike in the side)... you get the good and the bad with both...

11. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

London's traffic is mad....as for bikers, its these couriers who lack all sense of danger and appropriate road safety. :bang:

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree with Yoda, there are inconsiderate idiots in both groups.

Personally, (touch wood!) I've never been subjected to road rage whilst on my bike, but I have had drivers passing too close, and pulling out from junctions in front of me when I was on the main road with right of way, because they thought that I wasn't going very fast and they shouldn't have to wait for me to pass them! I have also had water bombs chucked at me whilst cycling through the local 'dodgy' estate!

On the other hand, whilst driving, I've seen loads of cyclists going through red lights and quite a few cycling on the wrong side of the road!

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I had a car driver get out and start throwing punches at me once for filtering through the middle on my motorbike. He got out. I got off. He started yelling. Then he started throwing punches. I was wearing a full face full carbon helmet and full body armour - most amusing :D

14. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

If you ever come to Greece on vacation , don't go riding a bicycle like it's Amsterdam or something. You'll end up under a car and the last thing you'll ever see is people pointing at you, laughing.

15. redcat1917

redcat1917 New Member

Yes, i've experienced this. Anyone ever been to Sweden? They have bike paths EVERYWHERE and the drivers are so courteous. Why can't I be Swedish??

Sometimes I think cars should be taxed to hell and back so more people would use bikes, but then I realize, it would only make the situation for cyclists worse, since the guys on the road would all be ****ers in their BMWs who think they're so much better than the cyclists 'cause they have money.

I say, the gov't needs a major campaign to build bike lanes on ALL roads, then pass laws giving bikes the priority everywhere, just making it a pain in the butt to drive!
    we're going to have to do something anyway, the world won't last forever...

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Over here, car drivers are taxed to the hilt, but do less cars get used? Nope, more. I agree, we need more cycle-paths.

And redcat - please don't swear ;)

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Gee, thanks. Since I regularly drive 150 mile trips you'd make my life a lot easier. And I'm sure all of those people who rely on their cats for business would thank you as well. About a quarter of my monthly income goes on the car anyway, what with fuel costing so much, then tax, and insurance as well.

Because its not difficult enough to drive as it is. Here's an original idea, stop me if you've heard it. Build bike lanes which AREN'T on the roads! What a stunner! Then the cyclists won't whinge about how cars are too dangerous, and the drivers won't whinge about how cyclists are obnoxious and have no concept of personal safety.

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

The problem is there are some places where you simply NEED a car if you want to get around to work and back etc. Places like the USA, not including the major cities, no one walks or bikes because it would take too long and a car really is neccessary....unfortunately ;)

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I don't think more taxes on all motorists would be a good idea, there are too many people who need their cars for their jobs or who live in rural areas that have really bad public transport access. I do think that there should be higher taxes on bigger cars that use more fuel though. Also more of the money already raised from motorists should be put into improving public transport systems, which might encourage more people to use them!

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Cutting the costs wouldn't really hurt either. Getting five people to Derby by train including all relevant luggage and taxi at the other end, around £300. Doing the same with my car, £25 there and back, plus perhaps £5 each for food on the way.