Cyborg Looses at Lion Fight 14

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by belltoller, Apr 3, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Good... she's a cheat anyway.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

She served her suspension, claimed it was an honest mistake, leave it be man.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Eh, I agree with SIB on this one. I have no tolerance for steroid cheats.

I already watched steroids ruin women's bodybuilding. Women's MMA is just really taking off. It can't afford steroids taking it down just as it is building up.

And the cheats who get caught ALWAYS claim it was an honest mistake- in all sports. I don't believe it. No way people put steroids into their bodies by mistake- at least not the vast majority of the time.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What she did was technically cheating, yes.

It may or may not have been on purpose, who knows/cares.

She served her punishment and apologised, move on.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm with Van Zandt. She served her punishment, move on.

7. belltoller

I know this is a rather stupid question, but was there ever a time when steroids (as a form of competition enhancement) were not illegal?

Doesn't have any bearing on this but I was wondering how long the effects remain after one "gets off" them.

8. aaradia

AHA! Exactly!

And this is why discusson of Cyborg's steroid use is relevant. Many people feel she won't drop in weight to fight Rousey because she doesn't want to give up those muscles she put on while on steroids.

Many people argue she built her career on over muscling smaller opponents.

If one looks at pictures of Cyborg, one can clearly see major changes in her. Certainly not caused by some short term "accidental" use.

Like it or not, when people get busted for steroids or other performance enhancers, it tarnishes their legacy. Cyborg is not being singled out. And again, MMA is not being singled out.

Although I will say that it is a particular issue because of WMMA just now making major advances.Also, frankly, because of the side effects causing women to become more masculine.

Barry Bonds- I don't think it was even proven in his case, was it?

Lance Armstrong using performance enhancers.

Tim Sylvia, Stephan Bonnar, Vitor Belfort, Chris Leben, etc. Look up any of them on an MMA forum and you will see. Dicussions of them often end up with this issue being part of the conversation.

I think rightfully so. Others may think it unfair, But it is what it is.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  9. belltoller

Yah, agreed that its a spoiler for certain. I do wonder sometimes if the entire sport world's records would be nearly completely re-written if one were to be able to magically subtract wins due to PEDs.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Probably a lot of them would, especially in track and field and cycling lol
    But then lots of things are spoilers, both legal and illegal it’s a fact of life people look to get an edge wherever they can, be it employing something legal like the omegawave to regulate training volume, high altitude tents or the latest nutrition, or cutting an enormous amount of weight or something illegal like steroids, blood doping and so on.
    It always got me that blood doping and high altitude low altitude training produced the same effects but one is legal and one illegal, some might argue its because one is the product of hard training and one is cheating, yet the use of using oxygen tents/chambers etc isn’t the result of hard work and yet is still legal?
    To paraphrase a well-known powerlifting coach “there are no drug free sports just drug tested sports” and unless we are going for outright bans then people have to accept that once someone has completed their ban they have the right to compete like everyone else
    Id also argue that the very nature of MMA means the use of something like PEDS at the top of the sport is necessary in a lot of cases, they simply have too many training sessions to recover from, to many skills that need sharpening, too many conditioning needs that have to be met NOT to be using something to aid them, whether that something is legal or illegal

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Intellectual discussion is one thing, being happy someone lost because they cheated (was a cheat, not is - past tense) adds nothing of value.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is this intelligent enough for the discussion VZ? An oldie but goodie!

Attached Files:

13. aaradia

Not proven to be a current cheat. Past history can certainly be used as an indicator that cheating may still be going on. That is part of the problem when one is caught cheating. The trust barrier that one is an honest participant is broken.

Ah, but that is the nature of sports. One gets to root for and against whomever one wants for whatever reason one wants.

Team name, team uniform, haircuts, religion expressed while on field/ in ring, style of playing/ fighting, conduct in and out of playing field. All fair game. (Yes, I have seen people say they root against fighters because of their long hair.)

I know some people who say how one conducts themselves shouldn't matter, it should be all about how they fight. But I can't root for someone who seems like a jerk - even if their fighting style is entertaining.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[​IMG]

15. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Hannibal - That's harsh...but hilarious!

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

But that's all part of the theatre of it, isn't it?

It's entertainment first and foremost, a pantomine with violence and blood. You need good guys and bad guys.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pretty much my M.O. in life......

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The sociopathic killer clown avatar kind of gives it away :p

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep anyone who thinks they can tell much about a fighters personality from interviews given to sell tickets or ufc documentary's edited to put bums on seats is a bit naive .

20. belltoller

This made me laugh