Custom made Gi's and Knee Braces

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JuJitsoup, Feb 12, 2019.

1. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

I'm getting back in traditional Ju Jitsu after almost 5yr lay off (kids clubs taxi then an ACL).

I've been back a few weeks now and getting back into the swing but I've put a couple of stone in the last few years so my old Gi (180) doesn't fit too well round midriff :oops:. The rest is fine but I need more material to wrap around better :eek:. I've tried a 190 (and A4) and they're way too big and I've also tried a variety of other 180's and they all have the same for me. On top of that I was also looking for a BJJ type material (Adidas BJJ Contact 450 style) for the Gi but with tying tabs but also without success. So my conclsuion is the only way to go to get a custom made and measured Gi (even if it costs a bit) and wondered if there was anywhere in the UK (in the North preferably so I can visit them) that makes custom made Gi's? I've done plenty of digging but can't find anything in the UK, only a few in the US.

Also, after my ACL injury, I get some aching in my knee when doing any sport now and as there's a lot of throwing, twisting and ground work I want to protect my knee as much as possible, so was looking for some recommendations for the best knee braces for our sport.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You can't get grappling Gi with the tying tags, as they get ripped off straight away so noone makes them.

Many BJJ Gi makers do extra wide, or extra short fittings, you could maybe look into those.

As an example, the fitting guide here:

Ultimate Care Guide

I've had an ACL op, I now wear Bauerfeind knee supports, they're expensive, but worth it if your at risk, however if you use them all the time, you knee will get weaker so keep on top of the rehab work!!

See here:
    GenuTrain®

JuJitsoup likes this.
  3. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

Thanks for the info. The knee brace looks good but it's not cheap :eek: but If you say it's good then I'll give it a whirl. There appears to be a GenuTrain (£60) and GenuTrain 3 (£115). Which one do you have? Does it help prevent twisting?

Bauerfeind look bonafide though. My concern was buying one of these cheap mass-produced Chinese ones from Amazon. They look good but how much science is behind their design? I suspect not much so I'll go with something which has been through some thought and testing. I have to reduce the risk of my knee going again as much as possible. There was too much pain and too much weight gained from not training and doing sports.

The Gi thing is interesting. I see the logic of the tabs/no tabs although hadn't made the connection before. Thanks. I'm still struggling though to find a UK supplier of Gi's with extra wide fittings. Any suggestions? I'd also like to look into the custom Gi route as I could possibly get exactly what I was looking for if anyone knows of anyone in the UK?

4. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Bauerfeind is definitely bonafide.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

I've got several genutrain's, there often on amazon for 40 ish pound each, there's also another manufacter with the same standards, I'll have to check out who they are, but there another Germanish medical company.

Edit, juzo, genu xtra, was the name! Also very good!

There's as good as a non metal brace can be.

If you want to try before you buy, I've found these 80% as good, but only last a few months of training.

Elite Knitted Snug Series Knee Support - from PhysioRoom.com

They're on sale at the moment, for a fiver, well worth a try!

Ps physio room are great!

Re cheap ones, I've tried a few, generally there terrible.

But I have a tonne of cheap neoprene knee sleaves, which is what I wear mostly now, for general exercise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. Dead_pool

7. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

Thanks for the info. You mention non-metal braces. Are these considered a no-no for ACL recovery/protection or are they just not right for mat work?

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I had ACL reconstruction. It was a long process from damaging it, to tearing it to having the op. At some point I asked a consultant if a knee brace would help as I was training again between damaging it and then tearing it, before I had an op, and he said it would make no difference. After I eventually had the op I looked into it again and there is no definitive evidence and all round agreement to suggest a knee brace makes any difference or would stop it happening again. I think mainly it makes a person feel confident.
    That’s my take on it anyway. It’s an individual choice.

I wear Mcdavid knee pads just for some cushioning, that’s it.
    What I also have kept doing ,everyday,are the physio excercises I felt were important and I do them on the other knee too.
    The knee is a joint that only moves in one plane. What is above it and below it is very important. The ankle joint and hip joint move in more planes. Strengthening those are important. Strengthening the hamstrings and quads and glutes are important. Becoming glute dominate during athletic movement is important. Don’t move or walk and take the whole of gravity from the knees , a small weak joint, do it from the hips and glutes, they are bigger stronger joints.

I also try tap early to any feet, ankle or knee attacks unless I know how to defend them, but even then I try to be aware that a defence is not working and just tap. Don’t do anything weird. What might seem like a good idea could make things worse and cause accidents.
    I try to be aware of how and where my body is and how it’s moving and keep good flexibility and mobility.
    Some things, like rubber guard for example , I dont realy bother with at the minute.Things like that might need adapting or tweaking to suit your individual ability. That’s what is good about BJJ.

Not sure on the aching. I get that sometimes if it’s cold. My shin still feels slightly numb and the shin/calf area is bigger than the other leg. Other than that, all is good.
    I hope yours stays good.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

They're just a nono for training, as you could well be scraping/hitting them in the face with it.

Have you had a ACL operation?

If you have, and you havn't trained in a while, I would definitely do a lot if rehab on it before starting back.

Will you be sparring, or just practising without resistance?

10. JuJitsoup

JuJitsoup New Member

No haven't had an operation. Had to rehab it with exercises over about 6 months and it now feels OK-ish. Funny thing is I've tweaked my other knee now and that's a bit sore too. I'm going to get a knee brace for both knees just for training.

There will be some sparring but mainly without resistance.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I wore a hinged brace for a long while before the ACL op.
    But I would wear the ones that have some form of material also covering the hinge. And then tell my sparring partner about them.

Havent had any issues with hitting anyone with them...yet.

During comps though. I wrapped the knee and then placed a neoprene knee brace over it.
    (Its basically a tough sock)

As hinged braces arent allowed in competition...

And then I say a small prayer to myself :p

It sucks that it is always (and I mean always) in the back of my mind, during spars, comps, workouts etc.

What doesnt hurt the knee, to me, are the leg attacks. What sucks is the unintentional twisting you get or dynamic directional changes. During grappling.

Turning the clock for example.
    (Going from top NS into Side control)
    Or scrambling.

What really hurt the knee as well was a hard landing from a throw. Breakfalling spreads the impact, but when you got a weak link, it doesnt handle force quite as well.

Monkey_Magic, axelb and Dead_pool like this.