Cure shin splints in 24 hours

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Wildlings, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I was looking for stuff about shin splints on youtube and I found this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwY0QFsPqs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwY0QFsPqs[/ame]

Now, from the comments on the vid it seems that it works, but it seems quite hazardous to me, plus there is that magical *24 hours*....What do you guys think? Would it be safe to try it or could it make the problem worse?

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What do you think is hazardous about it?

I roll my foot on a tennis ball or baseball all the time - It's a common ankle mobility exercise. It's not a problem...neither is the foam rolling.

You'll be fine, although I can't say if it actually works for shin splints or not.

3. Wildlings

I know foam rolling is not a problem when you're healthy...I was just asking if this could make shin splints worse, since I've always heard not to work through the pain and this works the pain directly. That's it.

4. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Check out mobility wod.com You can search for things like "Shin splints" or "wrist pain".
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhKZ-cmSt4"]Episode 270/365: MobRx for Shin Splints - YouTube[/ame]

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

So long as all you have is shin splints that haven't developed into stress fractures then it should be fine. I've never heard of using a foam roller for shin splints, but if this guy says it works and the commenters on the video say it works, then I'd be willing to give it a go.

6. Wildlings

Thank you guys, but it didn't work. They have worsened actually, not because of the foam rolling but because -stupid me- just when they were going away I went back to full training for two days. Now they're worse than before and I think there are some problems with the tendon of my right foot too :(
    Impatience's always been my biggest problem.

7. hilly1981

hilly1981 New Member

I used to get shin splints badly in my early 20s.

Found that aspirin was effective in stopping the pain. Panadol and nurofen had no impact.

I only started getting them when I was overweight. Too much stress on the lower leg muscles when running. Once I dropped 10kg they magically stopped, so I attributed the problem to my weight and leg muscle strength. I did go from a skinny 70kg to 95kg in the space of 3 years, so no wonder I had issues. Currently sit at 82kg with no issues.

Have no idea on what your weight is... but if you happen to be some kg overweight then I think losing some would help. Ultimately it is strengthening those lower leg muscles so they can accommodate your current weight and workload.

Just thought I would share. Hope it improves for you soon!

8. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Wow, that's a brilliant video. Thanks for posting it. I am so gonna use this technique in the future if I can remember to get a damnable golf ball and foam roller before I hobble myself next.

I can see no reason this would be dangerous at all. When I manually massage out my shin splints in a sauna it cures them in about the same time frame. I had no idea the muscle ran under the foot though, so now that I do I'm sure I can improve my recovery time a little even further.

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

You sound like me now. :p

Go easy on yourself and use a very high heat bath, sauna, shower, hot tub, etc. to massage our the area after it is relaxed. If you have a prescribed muscle relaxant that works for you, I will take one a couple of hours before bed and massage out the area to help get to deeper tension sometimes, but only do this if you already have a prescription you know is safe with your body, you take a low dose only, and you do not drive until it metabolizes through your system (8 hours of sleep should be sufficient). After you've massaged and relaxed the area, also stretch it out gently. A proper heat/massage/stretch combo will do wonders for speeding your recovery time from such injuries. But whatever you do for it, "listen" to your body and go gently. You may have caused a more serious injury than mere shin splints by over-training immediately after the initial muscle recovery phase.

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't figure out anything about the guy because Youtube has their highly trained monkeys working on crap right now . . . .

Anyway, who the hell is this guy and what is his credibility? He makes it seem like all kinds of people have been healed of shin splints but I get the impression that he's done it with a handful of people.

On top of that, 24 hours? Nothing works in 24 hours. Maybe 24 hours of total time added up of doing it, but not in just 24 hours. That's certainly not how myofaiscal release works, just like you don't get more flexible in 24 hours by touching your toes for a few minutes one day. It takes time, and much more than one simple session.

I'm not skeptical of the method, I am skeptical about this quick fixing method the guy is claiming.

11. aidy

aidy New Member

Looks like it's worth a try to treat the 'shin 'splints' but much better to find out what's causing them in the first place, after all it's just gonna be a viscious circle of injury and treatment if you dont know why its happening. There are a number of things that can cause them, impact on hard surfaces, pronation, supination(my problem),muscle imbalance etc, and doing training that involves jumping,skipping and running without footwear is a killer for someone who has pronation/supination. A podiatrist would be the first port of call. One tip is to look at your footwear, if the trainer sole is worn down at the outer part more than the inner or vice versa then it could be a supination/pronation problem.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

You got this from running?

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I am of the other school of thought when it comes to running, though. I believe that less is more. I believe that your foot should be allowed to move freely. I also believe that if you listen to your body, you can avoid these injuries. I have had quite a few debates with podiatrists regarding the matter of ortho shoes and the use of cortizone for pain relief. Bu whatever floats your boat for as long as you can keep running. :)

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I got mine from hill walking 4 - 8 miles a day 6 - 7 days a week in bad shoes over the course of a couple of years. 9 years later they still cause me big problems and I use the methods talked about in the video. "Cure" is a strong word indeed.

15. aidy

aidy New Member

hi, originally i descovered the problem when i was a postman 18 years ago, when the pain got so bad in my shins i couldnt walk. After the podiatrist inspected, saw my high arches and looked at the wear on the outside of my shoe sole she said it was supination and gave me some special innersoles after a few attempts at getting them right. In the end walking was never a problem again, but running and skipping are out of the question,even with the special innersoles, tried it many a time since then. The problem recently flared up again in a thai boxing fitness class when they had me doing side jumps over a punch bag, i should have known better and ommited the excercise, bare foot aswel i was just asking for it! shin splints is a very vague term and every persons shin problems could be caused by some underlying problem different from the next. What i get are not impact fractures, its muscle tissue/tendon sheering away from the shinbone as i understand it(medial tibia stress syndrome), not quite sure to be exact, you're right podiatrists arnt always right just like doctors they are in the dark with alot of things, ones own self is the best judge of ones own body. I tend to replace running with mountain biking but only problem with that is it makes me less supple around the hips and hamstrings, which is counter productive for martial arts, just cant damn well win lol!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  16. aidy

aidy New Member

defo, there is no cure its just knowing what you can and cant do within training, you cant alter the biomechanics of your body. Tissue massage and ice helps injury recovery from my experience, that's all. The lucky folk who dont get them will never understand.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Just a note on the use of ice. Don't place it directly on the skin, the same for a bag of frozen peas on a bruised eye.

Wrap the ice in a small towel before placing on the skin. This is because ice can burn.

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Even with certain cold packs you should do that. I have one that stays cold for 8 hours (and I've tested it plenty) that has a few different chemicals in it along with these pockets that freeze into large balls. I left it on my head and neck for about 40 min. not realizing it due to that area not being a strong "you're getting frost bite!" area. 30 minutes of your head and neck tingling like your leg does when it falls asleep is not a nice feeling!

A paper towel is usually enough to keep something like that from happening when it comes to ice. It melts, so it doesn't stay frozen forever. Something else people may want to consider are ice massages for certain areas. Freeze some water in a plastic cup or something and get the ice by either cutting the cup or running hot water on the outside. Grab a cloth for grip and just massage an effected area with the ice for a good 10 minutes.

If all else fails, liquid nitrogen applied to the area will solve it! (no it won't, that's a joke, don't ever do that)